Greetings to all been a while since I last posted, my old PC up and died awhile ago (may she rest in peace)

Now have a new lady (PC) in my life a HP laptop Intel duo core 1866 with 1 gig ram, running vista home Prem.

The question I have is ! has anyone noticed when using UAC that it slows your boot time , and at times windows Explorer often hangs or needs to restart ? since I disabled this everything seems to be faster.

Interested in any feed back

Regards

WW4

Maybe that the more you add/remove from your system (from its installed factory setup ) the more UCA needs to scan and aprove what runs ?

Edited by WhiteWolf4

I just got a new dell laptop with a dual core amd with 1gb of ram. I deleted the factory install, and reloaded vista premium clean. I think it is very slow. Before reloading it, it was unbearable. I have not yet experimented with disabling UAC, I will be curious to see if that speeds things up.

UAC shouldn't slow things down to much. And if you leave it running, after about a month you will start to notice you'll get less and less notifications.

Vista's UAC and Superfetch learn how you operate and which programs you use. And between one and two months they start to get your habits down. Then you should notice an increased speed in loading your more favorite programs.

I still tweak the UAC account. Here is a guide to tweaking it to stop 99.9% of the pop-ups, but still leave you with some protection. UAC Control Tweak

• 2 weeks later...

I want to get a laptop soon and was leaning more towards purchasing RAM than processing power a duel core 1.7GHz is fast 120 GB is fine. So with the money I save I can get more Ram installed plus buy a 2.5' HDD and all that would be comparable to a mid range laptop...am I crazy for thinking such things or on to something?

Also I don't want to use the OEM version thats pre-installed with the laptop but I guess I have no choice without the serial number (maybe going some special sites). software like PC-Decrapifier might help.

Thank you for reply,s people

After some research I worked out I had a virus/Trojan/mail ware

"Win fixer" I didn't install it, however there are some people WHO are never going to use my Laptop again!

I had running Norton's/ ad ware / spy bot and A2 squared plus UAC, the frools must have ignored it all

So if anyone running vista and IE 7 has IE hang or lock up and or very slow starts, my advice check to see if "winfixer" has been installed

Try this

Tools needed for this fix:

Vundo Fix

VirtumundoBegone (if VundoFix does not work)

Note: This infection is normally detectable by users receiving popups when they use the internet. Your antivirus program might also notify you via an alert that you have a Vundo Trojan on your computer. If you happen to have Hijackthis installed on your computer, you will be able to verify whether you have the Vundo infection, as there will be a matching O2, and O20 entry, with the same randomly named .dll file. In older infections the O2 entry normally contained the word "MSEvents". Please note you normally do not need Hijackthis installed to remove this infection, and the above details may only make sense to experts in this field, so don't panic.

Symptons from a Hijackthis log:

Below is an example of a Vundo infection, though there are many different filenames.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {EFCB1D95-FFF6-47BB-B6C9-61A523F04322} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vturr.dll

O20 - Winlogon Notify: vturr - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vturr.dll

Revision History:

01/09/07 - Updated guide to reflect updates to the tools.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removal Steps:

Please print these instructions as they will be needed later when Internet access is not available.

Save these instructions in word or notepad to the desktop where they can be easily found.

Download Vundo Fix and save it to your desktop.

When it has completed downloading, double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.

Click the Scan for Vundo button.

Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.

You will now receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click the YES button. Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.

When completed, it will prompt that it will shutdown your computer, click the OK button.

When the computer has shutdown, turn your computer back on.

The WinFixer and Vundo infection should now be removed from your computer.

If you are still having a problem then please perform the following steps.

This step should only be used if the instructions in the previous steps did not remove the infection:

Download VirtumundoBegone and save it to your desktop.

Now reboot into Safe Mode.

This can be done tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer

You will be brought to a menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode.

Select safe mode with networking using your arrow keys on the keyboard and then press enter.

When you computer reaches the desktop make sure you log in as the same user which you had performed the previous steps,

Once you are logged into safe mode, double-click VirtumundoBeGone.exe file you just downloaded and follow the instructions.

Exit when it has finished, and reboot back to normal mode.

The WinFixer and Vundo infection should now be removed from your computer. Conclusion

If after attempting the instructions in this guide the infection is still present, then it is advised that you post your HijackThis log so one of our experts can help you remove the infection. It may be that you have a new variant that the tools cannot yet remove, or you have a stubborn infection.

This is a self-help guide. Use at your own risk.

Hope this might help others

WW4

I found this info after I reistalled a virus free back up of my OS, so have not tried it

Edited by WhiteWolf4

Some vundo infections specifically hide O2 and O20 entries from HJT. If your log shows no O2 or O20 entries, rename Hijackthis.exe to something else, for example, hijacknew.exe. Now when you run it will show your hidden O2 and O20 entries, which may include vundo.