A Little Worried

I just bought a BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS OC 320MB card off of Rubber Ducky yesterday, bought a new Enermax Noise Taker II EG701AX 600W Power supply to replace my 20 pin 450 today, and then realized that my case configuration as it is, would NOT FIT the new card!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gawd All Mighty...I just about PLOTZ'd!!

I knew my case innards were pretty packed in there tight, especially since I added another HDD, a floppy drive and a 2nd DVD burner, and that took a pile of mods to get it all in. But then I opened it up tonight and realized I just didn't have the room for this Monsterous new card I bought...and I started to sweat...just a bit.

So I took the box downstairs, figured out a new way to cofigure things, and then got to work while watching the latest Batman movie. By the end of the movie, I had room for the card and all I lost was my wireless card, which wasn't in use anyway, and some excess metal bits.

I had to move all my current PCI cards around, refit one hard drive by moving it back 3" and drilling new holes for it to screw into, and cut a bit off of the strut and box for the HDD and ODD rails. Moved some cabling around and had to install the Hauppage TV card with a slight twist cause it overlapped one of my HDD's that's screwed to the bottom of the case. The TV card had to move to the lowest slot to allow for the new card to fit beside the smaller Ethernet card, but that put it too low in the case and it hit the HDD down there, and it Can't be moved anywhere else!

The TV card just has a very slight twist at the upper part and I had to install a plastic washer between the 2 of them so that metal or electrical parts don't touch in any way.

So by the time the movie ended, I had the thing back together, room for the new card to fit BARELY, and it's all back together until my new card & Power supply arrives, and then it's back inside for more fun & games!! Re-cableing everything to the new PSU again is gonna be allot of fun...I just put in this 450W a month ago. Oh well

Doncha just LOVE computers!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

I just bought a BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS OC 320MB card off of Rubber Ducky yesterday, bought a new Enermax Noise Taker II EG701AX 600W Power supply to replace my 20 pin 450 today, and then realized that my case configuration as it is, would NOT FIT the new card!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gawd All Mighty...I just about PLOTZ'd!!

I knew my case innards were pretty packed in there tight, especially since I added another HDD, a floppy drive and a 2nd DVD burner, and that took a pile of mods to get it all in. But then I opened it up tonight and realized I just didn't have the room for this Monsterous new card I bought...and I started to sweat...just a bit.

So I took the box downstairs, figured out a new way to cofigure things, and then got to work while watching the latest Batman movie. By the end of the movie, I had room for the card and all I lost was my wireless card, which wasn't in use anyway, and some excess metal bits.

I had to move all my current PCI cards around, refit one hard drive by moving it back 3" and drilling new holes for it to screw into, and cut a bit off of the strut and box for the HDD and ODD rails. Moved some cabling around and had to install the Hauppage TV card with a slight twist cause it overlapped one of my HDD's that's screwed to the bottom of the case. The TV card had to move to the lowest slot to allow for the new card to fit beside the smaller Ethernet card, but that put it too low in the case and it hit the HDD down there, and it Can't be moved anywhere else!

The TV card just has a very slight twist at the upper part and I had to install a plastic washer between the 2 of them so that metal or electrical parts don't touch in any way.

So by the time the movie ended, I had the thing back together, room for the new card to fit BARELY, and it's all back together until my new card & Power supply arrives, and then it's back inside for more fun & games!! Re-cableing everything to the new PSU again is gonna be allot of fun...I just put in this 450W a month ago. Oh well

Doncha just LOVE computers!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Good job Chappy!

Don't you just love power tools? (Or did you do all that drilling and snipping with hand tools?)

I actually have sets of both but like the sound and feel and ease of use of the power tools these days.

When I was a young man I liked to tough it out using a punch out pliers thing, aircraft snips and the like. But today, the moto tool (pseudo dremmel) , cordless drill, reciprocating saw etc see a lot more use.

I even bought one of those black and decker automatic jar openers ( I told the OL it was so she could open jars when I was not home to help) really neat thing, you release the locking lever and raise up the motor bit and put a jar in on the turntable and lower down the motor and lock it in and spin the jar until the jaws grab it and then press the button and it whirs and unscrews the lid. Got one of those fancy salad spinner things too; put in the leaves add water put on the top lid and shake and then let the water settle and open it and pull out the collander bit and dump the water. Put it back in and put on the spinner lid and whirrrr and the leaves are dry.

Didn't understand much of Chappy's post, but your post, Pete, I get! :D

I love me power tools! Hubby gets me one power tool or accessory each Christmas and it's the one present I want to snoop (so he hides it...).

Still waiting for a Mitre Saw, Hubby wants me to keep all my fingers.....but my Cordless Dremel is the handyest thing next to my Cordless Drill!

I was looking at those jar openers for my Mother In Law---good to see a positive review!

Liz

LOL Liz!!

Yah, it's a bit "Techie" but it makes perfect sense to me..;)

Of course it does...I did the work and wrote the post so it better make sense to me at least..

Thx Joe!! :thumbsup:

Pete

I drilled out the holes with a real neat angle drill (Recharge battery Op'd), which can swivel to different angles to fit into tight spaces. It doesn't spin really fast, which makes it useless for any tough materials, but it's perfect for this type of stuff.

Plus, being a Journeyman Sheet Metal Worker before I became a Firefighter, I'm pretty handy with modding the insides of these things and I have every metal working hand tool I need. If I still had access to a shop, I could completely redesign and rebuild all the support structures and drive bay boxes an stuff, but it'd be easier to just buy a new case that suites the needs.

This is definately as far as this case can go now. I couldn't add or modify another item without having to go to a new case altogether, but this is also the last things I should need too. This 8800 GTS card and the Enermax PSU will be able to suite my needs for a long time to come so they'll probably migrate into my next machine for sure and maybe even the machine after that too. That all depends on how fast Tech advances past todays stuff of course, but I can't see these items being too outdated for at least 6 to 8 years. (for my needs anyway)

That card is a monster!! ...if it was the GTX model tho, it wouldn't fit period! The GTX is about 3/4" longer and I just couldn't get that in without completely removing a very important support strut. ;)

Yah JDoors, that's EXACTLY what it's like!

I prefer my air tools. The sound and feel of power when running a carbide bit in my 25,000 r.p.m. Ingersoll-Rand die grinder is unreal. My air shears will do short work in opening up a case. I even picked up an air saw that makes my old electric jigsaw seem wimpy.

hi dave luckly you are able to

improvise

many of us would invent new swear words

i marvel at people like you and pete

who are able to get round problems like yours

im going to keep your's and petes post in case i need it in the future

can i ask one Q

is there any difference with a p3 and a p4 case

im thinking of going for a p4 mobo

but i want to use my present case

is this possable

marty

TT

Yah, the air tools are all fine an all, but a little too much for the confined spaces in the case..;)

I did think about renting a jackhammer for a little while there...

Marty

The case does't matter for that, it's the MoBo support for P3 to P4 that matters. The MoBo should easily fit almost any case you want as most cases have insert holes for most every MoBo configuration imaginable. They're designed with certain specs to make sure almost any MoBo will fit in almost any case. As long as you're not trying to cram a full ATX board into a mini-ATX box, you'll be fine.

It's also not all that hard to do this stuff either, you just have to be methodical and not afraid to do some inventive re-arranging sometimes.

thanks dave

i made this sys my self with the help from the board

but it was basic

so i need advice going from one sys to another

and i beleive a p4 for is a step up

thanks

marty

No prob Marty, good luck with your new stuff! We're always here to help you out bud.

I'll bet your new graphics card has improved system performance for gaming and video editing.

Just a tiny little bit is all hitest...if you consider going from a 64 VW bug to a 2007 Ferrari as a "Little" thing!!

Gawd! This card is probably..no IS the 3rd highest rated card in the market, and really is tied for second because #2 is the same 8800 GTS card with 640MB memory instead of 320MB that this one has.

Even with that, it's performance is exactly the same as the 640MB card has so there is no diff really, and this is Overclocked by BFG, so only the 8800 GTX is better than this card, and the 8800 GTX is the best card made today, hands down!

I couldn't fit a GTX ayway, so this is absolutely the TOP card I could possibly get today...I'm peeing myself here!! I saved well over $100, which I promptly put into the new PSU of course, and HP may still be sending me an 8800 GTS card too, so if/when they do I'll just sell it. I may completely break even on this... or I may hav this new card and PSU for about $30 or so total outlay, and I have a friend who's interested in my older 450W PSU so I may even make money on all this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me is a happy person right now, and HP has as much as admitted the design flaw for graphics on this machine. They did not rule out my proposal for a fix between us ($100 for an 8800 GTS and I won't hurl this thing thru their front window to return it), and i'm dealing with an HP CEO at the moment. Let's say I made a few waves over there lately, but I can prove my point beyond any doubt so I think they have to make good with me.

Just a tiny little bit is all hitest...if you consider going from a 64 VW bug to a 2007 Ferrari as a "Little" thing!!

Gawd! This card is probably..no IS the 3rd highest rated card in the market, and really is tied for second because #2 is the same 8800 GTS card with 640MB memory instead of 320MB that this one has.

Even with that, it's performance is exactly the same as the 640MB card has so there is no diff really, and this is Overclocked by BFG, so only the 8800 GTX is better than this card, and the 8800 GTX is the best card made today, hands down!

I couldn't fit a GTX ayway, so this is absolutely the TOP card I could possibly get today...I'm peeing myself here!! I saved well over $100, which I promptly put into the new PSU of course, and HP may still be sending me an 8800 GTS card too, so if/when they do I'll just sell it. I may completely break even on this... or I may hav this new card and PSU for about $30 or so total outlay, and I have a friend who's interested in my older 450W PSU so I may even make money on all this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me is a happy person right now, and HP has as much as admitted the design flaw for graphics on this machine. They did not rule out my proposal for a fix between us ($100 for an 8800 GTS and I won't hurl this thing thru their front window to return it), and i'm dealing with an HP CEO at the moment. Let's say I made a few waves over there lately, but I can prove my point beyond any doubt so I think they have to make good with me.

That's wonderful news, Dave! :thumbsup:

That is very cool that HP fessed up to making an error on your machine. :matrix: 320 MB card...................holy @#*%!

I prefer my air tools. The sound and feel of power when running a carbide bit in my 25,000 r.p.m. Ingersoll-Rand die grinder is unreal. My air shears will do short work in opening up a case. I even picked up an air saw that makes my old electric jigsaw seem wimpy.

Just before I retired from work I got a air-powered saw. Kind of like a miniature saw-zall That thing is sweet. I have a Dremel, but most of the time I bog it down and bring out the die-grinder. Always wanted a pair of powered shears, but could never justify it. Now if I could just talk my wife into a MIG welder... :rolleyes:

Mark

Seems to me that most of you should be modding cases from an Army Surplus store and posting them in the Modding Section.

Take Chappy for instance. Sounds like you need a 3' by 3' by 3' case to fit it everything in..LOL.

And just how many power generators are you running to keep it powered? And, Do you get a yearly thank you letter from the CEO of your power company. :lol: (I'll bet when you boot up your system , the lights in your neighborhood dim) :D

Scotty! We need more power to the Deflector Shields! The Klingon's are going to rip us to shreds!

Ay Captain. But I cannot do it. We had a huge drain on the Dilithium Crystals.

Scotty! What could possibly cause that type of drain?

Captain! It seems Chappy started up his Computer again. It'll take me weeks to get them back up to a full charge.

Mr. Spock! Could it be that this Chappy could be in cahoots with the Klingons?

Illogical Captian. This Chappy is just what we refer to as a "Computer Geek". He's not out for Galactic Domination. Just more computing power.

Damn them computer geeks..... When are they going to learn that enough is enough!

Captian. It's a logical assumption, without the "Chappys" out there. Your world would still be using Atari Computers, and taking months to downloading even the simplest of star charts. Much less have made any trips to the stars.

So in the words of Mr. Spock...... Go Chappy Go...... More Power HAhahahahahahahaha!!!!! :thumbsup: