A Couple Of Questins About Xp And Linux

I'm running ubuntu and I love it but I want to put windows xp pro back on my computer with ubuntu still on it. Last time I did this I couldn't get my Internet to work so I gave up and put ubuntu on it. After a day I realized I didn't install the drivers for my hardware. I was wondering if you could help me find the drivers I need and I know if I do this I will have to put grub back on, so I was wondering if anybody had any advice on this. Thanks for the help.

Here is my machine:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...mp;lang=en&

As far as I can tell this is my machine.

On to the next question I have, my brother and me share a xp machine. I only use it for my itunes and some movie stuff, but my brother is being a butt about it. He got really perinode. He thinks that I'm going into his account and looking around. I do that once in a great while to clean up his stuff and so forth. I was just on that computer and I notice that he install some hide programs and he also install a spy program that took pictures of the stuff on the computer and who knows what else. I uninstall most of it and made him delete the rest. I think there is probably a chance that it is still there though.

His account was the guest account but upgraded to limited or a level under it because he likes to mess with stuff. I have a computer admin. account on the computer and then my parents have a computer admin. account on their too, that they don't use but my brother has been getting on their and doing all this stuff. I changed the password so he couldn't get on but do you guys have any recommendations about how to find out what he is up too. Thanks for the help.

JDM

I am not sure what chipset that computer uses for drivers, the site listed does not list a 10/100 ehternet driver. Since you have ubuntu installed, boot that, then run the command /usr/sbin/lspci . This should show you what 10/100 ethernet chipset you are using. Then I could help you find the driver.

Edited by shanenin

After some research, it appears to use the Realtek RTL8100C.

this is a download link for the 10/100 ethernet driver

I did a quick search but think these are the correct chipset and graphics drivers.

graphics(video) driver

chipset driver

I am pretty certain that HP computer uses this audio driver. I would only install it if XP does not have built in driver support

realtek audio driver

Edited by shanenin
I'm running ubuntu and I love it but I want to put windows xp pro back on my computer with ubuntu still on it. Last time I did this I couldn't get my Internet to work so I gave up and put ubuntu on it.

I love that. Usually people are upset Linux does not work out of the box, but in your case XP did not :-)

Thanks for the help. Here is the output for lspci

lspci

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Processor to I/O Controller (rev 04)

0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller (rev 04)

0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)

0000:00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)

0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)

0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)

0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)

0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)

0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)

0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d3)

0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)

0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)

0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller (rev 03)

0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)

0000:02:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 61)

0000:02:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 8185 (rev 20)

0000:02:04.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem

0000:02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562ET/EZ/GT/GZ - PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 03)

I go to the sites and look at them. I believe your right about the ethernet though. Got any advise about my brother? Thanks again

JDM

as to advice about your brother, not off hand.

As to your drivers. I based my links to drivers on this page

After looking at your lspci output, I am not so certain my drivers are correct. you could try the

intel chipset utility . It will probe your system and tell you what chipset and graphics driver you need.

their is a chance you need the hp high def realtek driver

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...p;GetDown=false

Edited by shanenin