Hi All,

I'm finding myself scanning my computer every other night (adaware, spybot S&D, a2, virus scan-once a week).

I know this may be overkill, but I was wondering whether or not this will eventually put hardship on the hard drive?

domingus

Hi.

While the scans are/might be over kill if it is what you want the go ahead and do the scans.

You will not wear out you drive any faster scaning it that what would happen under normal usage.

WYI I scan my PC once a week along with windows system tools,(defrag,disk cleanup) is more than enough.

I update spy/adware and windows when updates are available.

I used to scan every night, and never had any problems.

When I installed Spywareblaster, it cut down on the amount of scanning I had to do. Now I do all of my scans once a week (Friday nights), and very seldom find any problems (can't remember last time).

Back to your original question; no, I don't believe scanning every other night, will cause any problems.

I am now scanning with my antivirus every evening. I finally found the perfect time to do it, I start the scan, then go work on supper preparation, then come back to check on scan from time to time. Once it is done, then I scan with Spybot. Now this has become a habit with me, it is easier to remember to do it.

As for the potential harm to the hard drive. I figure getting a virus/worm/trojan, or spyware/malware is an even worse problem for it. So I am going to continue to scan each day at suppertime. If we eat out, then it gets a day's rest. :rolleyes:

Check often for updates and scan for trouble whenever you want. Stay safe folks.

God bless everyone.

I am now scanning with my antivirus every evening. I finally found the perfect time to do it, I start the scan, then go work on supper preparation, then come back to check on scan from time to time. Once it is done, then I scan with Spybot. Now this has become a habit with me, it is easier to remember to do it.

As for the potential harm to the hard drive. I figure getting a virus/worm/trojan, or spyware/malware is an even worse problem for it. So I am going to continue to scan each day at suppertime. If we eat out, then it gets a day's rest. :rolleyes:

Check often for updates and scan for trouble whenever you want. Stay safe folks.

God bless everyone.

Thanks thesidekickcat.

At least I'm not alone when feeling the "need" to scan every evening or so.

Take care.

Just remembered to tell you this one.

I am trying to get another good habit off and running. While I download (on dialup) updates, I get on my Health Walker glide type exercise machine, here in the computer room, and spend the time exercising. I hope I can stick to that habit and lose some weight. :rolleyes::P:rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

Just remembered to tell you this one.

I am trying to get another good habit off and running. While I download (on dialup) updates, I get on my Health Walker glide type exercise machine, here in the computer room, and spend the time exercising. I hope I can stick to that habit and lose some weight. :rolleyes::P:rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

Sounds like a good habit :)

Hi All,

I'm finding myself scanning my computer every other night (adaware, spybot S&D, a2, virus scan-once a week). 

I know this may be overkill, but I was wondering whether or not this will eventually put hardship on the hard drive?

If your doing it manually; yes. If it's all automated; no.

Not that it'll hurt the drive, it's just a waste of time to do it manually every night.