Are You Having Trouble Finding Something In Vista?

Hello Members & Guests!

I know how hard it can be to find those settings you need with a new Operating System, and especially so when it's as different as Vista is!!

So, I've decided to post this thread so anyone who's having trouble Finding something in Vista, has a place to ask for help in finding it, and one of us (or all of us) will do our best'est to Find that setting/spot for you, and post it here.

If it's a really good one, we'll probably turn it into a Tip Post as well, so your questions can help as many folks as possible later on.

So please, if you're having trouble finding something, or don't know if something can even be done in Vista still, post you question into this thread and we'll get right on it for you!!

Thanx!

• 11 months later...

hi,

thanx for being there

i am new to vista and my pc is connected to the rest of my office lan in a peer-to-peer environment.. i have noticed a minor issue with vista that i am not able to see other xp computers on the lan if i type \\<machine name> in the run area, but i cam see them if i type \\<ip address of the machine i wish to see>....

kindly help me with this,,,..

rgds,

thanx in advance..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hi

any one know how to delete the unused

icons

in the task bar

with winxp

it could be done through the registry

but using the same path

in vista

it dosent work

the task bar entrys are stacking up

ime not sure how to get rid of them

i can

post the path to do this in winxp

if that can help

marty

Hi Marty,

Slightly different location in Vista.

I just did this and it worked fine. :thumbsup:

Clean Up Past Notification Icons in Windows Vista :: the How-To Geek

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

A very useful feature in Windows is the ability to automatically hide system tray icons when they are not in use. The problem is that over time, Explorer caches a list of every single icon that it's ever seen, and your list might grow to hundreds of items that Explorer knows about.

The other issue is that Explorer keeps these items in memory somewhere, so it's also causing bloat, but we can completely reset this list with a little tricky registry editing and recycling Explorer. Note that this will remove any settings you had set for the icons.

To get to the dialog we are talking about, right-click on the Taskbar and choose Properties, then choose the Notification Area tab, and click the Customize button.

Just look at all the items in the list… I don't even have some of those applications installed anymore.

Open up regedit.exe through the start menu search box, and then browse down to this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

Now you will see two entries in the list: IconStreams and PastIconsStream. Select both of them and delete them. (You may want to make a backup with the export function before you do this)

Now we'll need to recycle Explorer.exe by opening up task manager (You can use Ctrl+Shift+Esc), selecting explorer.exe in the list and choosing End Process.

Now go to the File menu, choose New Task and type in explorer into the open box. Hit enter, and explorer should restart itself.

Now your Customize Notification Icons dialog should show you a very clean list of items, but note that any settings you had will be reset to default.

Note that some icons might disappear entirely until you reboot your computer. Also, if the Volume/Power/Network icons aren't able to be selected in the taskbar properties dialog, you should be able to close it and re-open it and they will work again, but you might have to select them again.

• 1 year later...

sorry flatiron

i havent been to this thread since i read your answer to my post

thanks

for the info

yes it was a slightly different path

ive made sure to write down the registry path

thanks

owe you one

marty