Change The Locations Of Your Personal Folders

Ok, so perhaps you have multiple hard drives or partitions or both in your machine and you use one for music, one for videos, one for pictures and documents or however you may do it. Either way, the default location of your personal folders in Vista are located on your C:\ drive.

Now, I keep my music, pictures, videos, documents, etc all on separate drives (only the OS and Applications are installed on the C:\ drive) so naturally this was a problem for my setup, considering when you open your start menu you want easy access to all your stuff as you can get to your personal folders through your start menu.

So here's what you do, right click the personal folder whether it be Music, Documents, Pictures, Videos - whatever, choose Properties, then you'll see a tab named Location, click Location and change the folder's location to your custom location, click Apply and then it'll bring up a dialog box asking you if you want to move the contents of the folder to the new location, click Yes or you'll end up with two of the folders. That's it! Now you're personal folders are customized to your personal needs!

B

Ok, so perhaps you have multiple hard drives or partitions or both in your machine and you use one for music, one for videos, one for pictures and documents or however you may do it. Either way, the default location of your personal folders in Vista are located on your C:\ drive.

Now, I keep my music, pictures, videos, documents, etc all on separate drives (only the OS and Applications are installed on the C:\ drive) so naturally this was a problem for my setup, considering when you open your start menu you want easy access to all your stuff as you can get to your personal folders through your start menu.

So here's what you do, right click the personal folder whether it be Music, Documents, Pictures, Videos - whatever, choose Properties, then you'll see a tab named Location, click Location and change the folder's location to your custom location, click Apply and then it'll bring up a dialog box asking you if you want to move the contents of the folder to the new location, click Yes or you'll end up with two of the folders. That's it! Now you're personal folders are customized to your personal needs!

B

Thanks for the refresher course.

I did this several times before, but you know how the brain cells diminish daily..........

I'm about to clean house with my laptop and reinstall.

Changing the locations of docs and such will be something that I do.

Joe