Ubuntu Freezing

I posted in PC support about the boot ini, dont really need that help anymore, downloaded Ubuntu 7.04 and installed on the 6gb slave hd, kept freezing up, tried another download still and disabled avast, and it installed. well now, if I click on firefox the screen goes black, or if I try to do the updates it freezes again. I dont think it has to do with the video card problems, I have a Radeon7000 (at least thats what I can find, no ATI or whatever it was ubuntu was/is having issues with). any suggestions. the computer is a Gateway select 1200 1.2 20gb hd with the 6gb slave hd AMD athlon, 384 ram.

Edited by HeavyJ

well, after burning different disc, all of them freezing at different points and looking on the different forums for answers, seeing it might be bad downloads, I got another download, burned a new disc and remembering loading someother software sometime or another it recommending turning off either antivirus or firewall, I said what the hay and gave it a whirl. what did I have to loose? It installed is all I know. probably didnt have a thing in the world to do with the install but its installed. now if it would just not freeze up or give me the big dead black screen. :blink:

6 gigs, while it should be ok, I would think with the new ubuntu, it may not be enough.

anything running on windows would have no effect on your Linux install, but may affect your download.

try ordering ubuntu cd's. they are free and you don't have to worry about bad downloads.

then give us a post of demsg after you get it installed

sudo demsg

I even downloaded Kubuntu, froze on the first boot up. asked on the Ubuntu forums, not one answer. post of demsg? whatever that is, it wont stay running long enough. lol. I only have a little time here and there to mess with this thing and its not a priority. oh well, back to windows.

6 gigs, while it should be ok, I would think with the new ubuntu, it may not be enough.

Should be enough. I have 2780 packages installed in a bit less than 8 GiB.

well, it rained so I couldnt mow grass, said what the heck, reinstalled ubuntu, chose the second option, safe graphics mode (think thats what it was) and its been going on 3 hours now and no freeze ups, no black screens, downloaded all updates, and using it now. webpages load fast, though I do need to do some fiddling with the fonts and get these words bigger. lets hope it keeps working.

well, it rained so I couldnt mow grass, said what the heck, reinstalled ubuntu, chose the second option, safe graphics mode (think thats what it was) and its been going on 3 hours now and no freeze ups, no black screens, downloaded all updates, and using it now. webpages load fast, though I do need to do some fiddling with the fonts and get these words bigger. lets hope it keeps working.

Congrats on getting your video issues sorted out. :thumbsup:

If it has been working for 3 hours you are most likely okay. :D

Still going, changed resolution, now I can read the words, still a little on the small side, may change it again, see what it does, Im just happy its workin'. Seems fast.

Your safe graphic mode selection probably did the trick. Sometimes Ubuntu will guess wrong and set your resolution incorrectly during set-up, installation resulting in a non-functional display (safe graphic mode uses very conservative settings for your video card).

dmesg is teh command to show you deamon messaging (or your error log)

you could post the output of the command

lspci

and then post the file under /etc/X11/xorg.config

to run commands like lspci and dmesg open a terminal and type

sudo dmesg >> /home/<yourusername>/Desktop/dmesgOutputFile.txt

or

sudo lspci >> /home/<yourusername>/Desktop/LSPCIOutputFile.txt

both should ask for a password as you will be running them as root, I am not sure if root is needed on ubuntu to run those commands fully, it is on my boxes.