My laptop heats up quickly, and I dont hear the CPU fan going

So my conclusion is the fan gave out (Plus seconds before going out, I heard clicking coming from the CPU area and then the fan noise went away)

satellite l25 s1193 <-- Laptop Model

I am not familiar with the MOBO or anything with the laptop, and I am trying to find out the specs so I know what to buy for it.

Either way, since I have to replace the FAN i may as well replace the CPU since it is a CELERON. So I am asking for your recommendations on a

CPU and might as well upgrade from the 512MB RAM

CPU

RAM

My laptop heats up quickly, and I dont hear the CPU fan going

So my conclusion is the fan gave out (Plus seconds before going out, I heard clicking coming from the CPU area and then the fan noise went away)

satellite l25 s1193 <-- Laptop Model

I am not familiar with the MOBO or anything with the laptop, and I am trying to find out the specs so I know what to buy for it.

Either way, since I have to replace the FAN i may as well replace the CPU since it is a CELERON. So I am asking for your recommendations on a

CPU and might as well upgrade from the 512MB RAM

CPU

RAM

How old is that laptop? It might be less of a headache if it's still under warranty for you to just take it in and have them replace it for you.

If that's not an option, I would be hard pressed to offer you any advice for a CPU given that I don't know what the fsb, or even the clock speen on that laptop in particular, but I'm going to assume it's got a Celeron-M 370 1.5 GHz processor with 400mhz FSB.

If I am correct in my assumption there, you will find it very difficult to find a chip that will work in there, but I believe a Pentium-M 765 might do the trick, then again it might be too much chip for that board. The L25 series was only designed to ship with Celeron processors.

You will also have to make sure that the hs/fan will fit in your laptop case. I have noticed that my Satelite is much thinner than most of the other laptops I see my classmates with.

The RAM wont be a tough upgrade. You'll find the right RAM for your laptop on the Toshiba website. You can then check some other sites to see how cheap you can get it.

The celeron M is not much slower then a pentium M, in most benchmarks they are almost equal. The pentium M does support speed step, which will allow it to thottle back to save on power. Other then the power saving abilities, the pentium M does not offer much performance over the celeron M.

I am not really sure how speed step works, but it may depend on a motherboard that supports that feature.

Edited by shanenin
The celeron M is not much slower then a pentium M, in most benchmarks they are almost equal. The pentium M does support speed step, which will allow it to thottle back to save on power. Other then the power saving abilities, the pentium M does not offer much performance over the celeron M.

I am not really sure how speed step works, but it may depend on a motherboard that supports that feature.

It actually requires a chipset, BIOS, voltage regulator, OS, and technology driver that supports speedstep.

I am purely stating advice here based on assumptions, and I'm assuming that his board would support it. If it does not, then the processor that I suggested would still be faster than the 1.5GHz processor he has in the rig at present.

The assumption that your board would support it is purely based on the possibility that Toshiba is using the same board for their Celerons that they do for their Pentiums. I can't back that up, and it's just a guess as to whether or not it will work, but either way, the processor that I suggested would be the fastest one that your board would be able to handle, based on FSB.