Can Not Get Xp Home To Boot Up

Would you be willing to part with that drive for dirt cheap?

It would make a nice addition to my collection of hosed hdds

That might depend on what kind of dirt. Some dirt is better than other dirt. (LOL)

I decided to clean the 30 gig and install xp home fresh on it. Could not complete install as I kept getting error codes or after rebooting several times I was back to not having it detected in the bios.

I went back to my 15 gig, with the cloned copy of xp home, and it booted up twice and worked fine. But then the next reboot it would not get detected in the bios either. I could only get it to show if I hooked the cleaned 30 up as a slave. But it would not complete the opening. Then I got an error message about something about "isass.exe" and the code 0x0000001d, I think.

I ran "maxtor powermax burn in test" on the 30 and it said it was failing. I ran it on the 15 and it said it was failing also and to back up all my data. I guess whatever happened to the 40 was transfered to the 30 and the 15 when I cloned them to try and save my data. I did make some cd's of my files, but they are now ntsf.

Go figure---3 HDD's failing at the same time.

The good news right now is that all powermax tests says that the 13 gig with 98se on it is error free. I have it working on the Dell Millennia now.

I guess I will have to keep using my 98se until I can get another HD on which to install xp home.

• 2 weeks later...

Go figure---3 HDD's failing at the same time.

The good news right now is that all powermax tests says that the 13 gig with 98se on it is error free. I have it working on the Dell Millennia now.

I guess I will have to keep using my 98se until I can get another HD on which to install xp home.

I still think the controller on the mobo might be malfunctioning, that seems more likely then all of your drives going bad at the same time.

I got my other Dell Millennia(same mobo and everything else) and hooked up my w98se HDD in it with just a single cable. It was detected by the bios and booted right up.

Shut down and removed cable and tried both of the (bad?)Master/slave cables and neither one would let the W98se HDD be detected by the bios.

Got another master/slave cable and tried it.

It detected the HDD and is running now. Also my XP Home HDD on the other Dell Millennia is booting up and running every time, so far.

So could the controller on both Dell's be bad? Possibly, since I do have two HDD's bad and two bad cables, but I don't know.

Thanks everyone for all the help.