I recently upgraded my computer with some extra hard drives. My main reason was for the upgrade was to separate my OS drive from my data drives. When I work on a client computer, I will often back up a full image of their hardrive to my computer. Then Acronis will allow me to mount that image if I need to retrieve files. While doing a backup or a large copy to my drive, this would slow my OS down significantly.

I now have three separate 320gb SATA drives. One of these drives is dedicated to holding my OS and some home files. The other two 320gbs drives are for holding client data and a backup of client data. Now I can do backups of client data without slowing down my OS. I was curious to the difference between copying a file from one drive to another and copying the same file from one drive to another place on the same drive. Here are the differences.

I copied a 35gb file from one drive to another in 17 minutes.

I copied that same 35gb file from one drive to another place on the same drive in 22 minutes.

I would have guessed their would have been a bigger difference in the copy times. i would have suspected copying the same file to another location on the same drive would have taken much longer, do to having to both read, then write.

I recently upgraded my computer with some extra hard drives. My main reason was for the upgrade was to separate my OS drive from my data drives. When I work on a client computer, I will often back up a full image of their hardrive to my computer. Then Acronis will allow me to mount that image if I need to retrieve files. While doing a backup or a large copy to my drive, this would slow my OS down significantly.

I now have three separate 320gb SATA drives. One of these drives is dedicated to holding my OS and some home files. The other two 320gbs drives are for holding client data and a backup of client data. Now I can do backups of client data without slowing down my OS. I was curious to the difference between copying a file from one drive to another and copying the same file from one drive to another place on the same drive. Here are the differences.

I copied a 35gb file from one drive to another in 17 minutes.

I copied that same 35gb file from one drive to another place on the same drive in 22 minutes.

I would have guessed their would have been a bigger difference in the copy times. i would have suspected copying the same file to another location on the same drive would have taken much longer, do to having to both read, then write.

Sounds about right to me for using SATA drives. Try that with a IDE drive and there would be a bigger difference I would think.