Microsoft Admits Vista Failure

I found this on another forum. Has anyone read this?

The Inquirer

Is this true? I know I have Vista that came with new notebook, and I'm not too happy with it. It is so slow. There are other things I do not like, but slowness is the main reason. I have a retail Winxp Pro that I'm seriously thinking of installing, but wanted to wait and give Vista a chance.

They are calling "Vista" the "ME II" (Millenium II). I had ME and had no trouble with it, and Winxp was good from the get go. Never had anything I could not fix, which most of it was my fault.

What do you think?

Barb

I got Vista Prem with 2GB Ram, and it came with McAfee Internet Security 2007. Mcafee takes forever when it scans for viruses etc. It took over an hour. It is only a 30 day trial, after that I'm uninstalling it. I have Trendmicro 2007 on my desktop and it scans in about 20-30 min. It does not slow my computer down at all. I have read in other forums that a lot of people say Vista is slow for them also.

I'm not sure if I have Aero. Where do I find it, and what is it? I have heard the name, but do not know what it's function is. Still trying to learn how Vista works. I'm going to get one of those Idiot books "The Complete Idiots Guide to Vista" by Paul McFedries. He makes it fun to read and learn. That is how I learned Winxp from one of his books. I like his books better than the Dummy books.

Barb

I read the article about Dell offering consumers a choice in operating systems and I applaud Dell for that! I'm not a computer geek or a gamer, I don't need or want a fancy operating system, so XP is perfect for me (I'm comparing it to Windows98, XP is a pleasure!!)

To be honest, for the basic computer user, XP is perfect. Like Barb said, it performs beautifully and when it does act up, it's usually due to someone on the keyboard :rolleyes: I honestly am lost why MS decided to replace such a well working operating system! MS would make more profit by just sticking with XP.

But then there are others who said that each new operating system is met with bellyaching until folks get used to it (but I NEVER bellyached about XP!)

I suppose to each his own.....but I'm hoping this XP idiotbox runs forever!

Liz

Hey Liz:

I like XP much better. It is so easy to use.

When I ordered my Dell notebook, it only offered Vista Basic, Premium etc. I did not mind at the time, as I remember when I had ME and upgraded to XP with no problems. Vista is so different. It almost has too much security. Every time you want to do something a window pops up and you have to OK it as an admin. I forget the name of it now, as I found out how to stop it. It drove me crazy. It seems like the software has more control than I do. <_<

It takes me more time to find stuff where Vista has stashed it. XP is easy and logical, I guess because I'm use to it. No more Outlook Express, it is called Windows Mail. I had a heck of a time trying to find Task Scheduler, finally did. Windows update, I like, I think is an improvement. The rest I'm still trying to locate :lol:

Barb

Vista may be having a slow start but it is not a failure. I'm a Mac user but really like Vista "not so much the DRM" but it is very good and will get better.

As for the inquirer they are the biggest source of FUD on the net. There stories are written just for hit counts. Usually their headlines are about Apple not surviving the rest of the year or about how Linus Torvalts is switching to Windows.

Vista has it's own issues. I blame many of the issues people are having with vista on the computer maker. Why stay with the minimum requirements for those who provide so much of your income. I know parts cost and it all comes to numbers, but I think if the maker would look at the long haul they would see running with 1 gig of ram will be a big investment in repeat buyers.

I did work on a Dell with XP Media Center, it shipped with 3.4 gig processor and 126 ram. The user called Dell, Dell went through all protocols, even replacing the hard drive. Users complaint, Machine is slow and will not load games like "The Sims". I looked at the machine and within five minutes explained the problem. I ordered 1 gig of ram installed it and now the customer is using the machine like never before.

Just because your car can "run" on three of the six cylinders does not mean it will run good, or even decent.

Bad analogy but you can get the point.

M

Gee, Mike. Dell did that to me too. Shipped XP with only 126.... The BSD's made this new user scared to death. After installing a 512 stick, I've yet to have a lockup. (years) I'll admit the BSD's did get me into security and protecting my machine long before I learned much about using it.

When I ordered my Dell, I had the option to change most anything on it. Yes, they list the bare for the price it is selling for. As you go thru each list of software and hardware, you have a choice to upgrade it. Each software and hardware Dell recommends what would be better. You know the good, better and best idea. You don't have to get what they recommend. I did on a couple of things, but most I ignored. I got what I wanted.

I was offered 1GB ram with Vista, but Dell recommended 2GB, and I got it. Yes it cost more, but you also have Dell discount coupons you can use to bring the price down. I went to Dell site, picked out what I wanted and saved it, and than went looking for Dell discount coupons for that model that I wanted. Sometimes you find them, and sometimes you have to wait and check later.

I got the notebook for a backup, in case my desktop crashes, I can get on line and get help to repair it.

Maybe I just lucked out.

"I got the notebook for a backup, in case my desktop crashes, I can get on line and get help to repair it."

Damn, I wish I could afford to be paranoid like :P

Mark

Not paranoid, I call it thinking ahead B)

Barb :D

When I ordered my Dell, I had the option to change most anything on it. Yes, they list the bare for the price it is selling for. As you go thru each list of software and hardware, you have a choice to upgrade it. ...

Not financially ready to upgrade yet but I went to Dell to spec out a cheap replacement. Knowing what Vista NEEDS I chose the appropriate upgrades and ... There's no such thing as a cheap Vista computer. :(

A lot of people that say "vista sucks" or something similar prolly never used it.

I'm using Vista now on a Amd 3000+ machine, with 1GB of ram with a GeForce 7600GT Video card with Aero on.

And I must say...it is quite sexy.

It's not that much different from XP and I honestly think that it's much easier to work with.

If you don't like all the "pretty stuff" that comes with vista, you can always enable the windows classic theme.

I am kind of worried vista security might really be good. This could really hurt the pc repair business. A good 60% of my income(maybe more) is related to malware.

I just had a thought, people will still keep installing free stuff they find on the web. Vista security will not stop users from making bad decisions. I'll be fine :-)

edit added later//

My wife just pointed out this to me. since most users are setup as non admins, kids will have a harder time installing stuff without having the administrator password.

Edited by shanenin
My wife just pointed out this to me. since most users are setup as non admins, kids will have a harder time installing stuff without having the administrator password.
Yeah, and mom and dad will get tired of being asked everytime and end up giving the password. You know it only takes one bad D/L.
  • 4 weeks later...
Yeah, and mom and dad will get tired of being asked everytime and end up giving the password. You know it only takes one bad D/L.

and maybe, after being annoyed that much, they will simply make them admin? idk, ive always been admin.......................

Was Windows ME a failure? They kept calling it ME 2, but i never had a ME, went from 98 right to xp.........................

-Joe

i tried ME when i first started

and i had lots of trouble with it

tho at the time i blamed my self

as a new user

we had a poster on this board who swears by it

bearskin

so it isnt every one who has trouble with ME

marty

My first computers I had at the office were 286s, 386s, and 486s (DOS 5.0, Win 3.1). The first computer I owned was an IBM P l50 with 16 MB RAM, Win95 (at the time it cost me $3000). :)

The first computer I owned was an IBM P l50 with 16 MB RAM, Win95 (at the time it cost me $3000). :)

Did you have to take out a loan to manage that, just kidding :-)

Heh-heh, at the time, yeah, I did need to borrow some money to buy it. :D

It had a crappy 28.8 mwave dial-up modem........the worst Internet experience you can imagine, lol.