'round The House Projects

Fertilized the lawn, installed new motion detector fixture for the back yard, while the power was out a new dimmer switch for the downstairs hallway, cleaned up the yard, removed plastic film insulation from windows.

Lawn: In twenty years I have yet to figure out how to get the spreader to wind up empty at the same time as I've finished the lawn (one bag just happens to be the right amount for my size lawn). I either wind up with leftover (which I either go over the front lawn again or store for later) or I run out too soon (filling up with the stored leftovers, if any).

Motion detector: The old one was so wobbly the light bulbs (spots) would wiggle loose, which eventually wore out the sockets (found a bulb on the ground recently). New one's nice and tight and has extra gasketing to hold the bulbs more firmly. A few years back the neighbor's kid was in sports and his friends came to TP his house. After making the usual mess they ran to my yard to "hide." BLINK! On came those lights and they all ran screaming at having been found out. Ha!

Dimmer: The hallway leads to a bedroom and utility room. There's only one switch, at the beginning to the hallway. So if you're not going to be going back and forth, say, doing laundry, you have to either leave the light off and walk through the dark to get to the bedroom, or after you reach the bedroom you have to leave the light on (since there's no switch on that end). Dumb (and I'm not skilled enough to route another switch to the other end of the hallway). With the dimmer you can leave the light on low to find your way to the bedroom and just leave it on low. Also, when I'm in the family room and the light's on at full brightness it's unacceptably distracting. Dimmed will be acceptable. (Actually installed a dimmer years ago but it never worked and I never replaced it ... just now got around to fixin' it.)

Yard: Covered up some bare patches of mulch. Cleaned up after the neighbor's dog. HIS yard was clean and right at the property line he stopped cleaning, leaving ten to fifteen doggie fertilizers for ME to pick up. WTH? His yard is no longer clean. :glare:

Film: Just what it says.

------

And you? :)

Edited by JDoors
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished the front flower beds. Most of my projects are put on hold while we get my daughter's new house in order. Got my first grandkid coming so I got to fix up the nursery, fix up some hand me down furniture, hang baby gates, etc. Also have to repair the floor from a leaking dishwasher and remodel the kitchen a little Hoping it doesn't take as long as Irregularjoe's

:thumbsup: Just kidding Joe

Mark

Well, we grilled twice already..... :-) The ground has been too wet to do much in the yard except poo patrol. The flower seeds are sprouted and transplanted, ready to go into the ground.

Pulled down the window film, washed windows and changed furnace filter.

Need to give the van a good spring clean too.

Yeah, grilled over Easter.

Last month I cut down a couple trees the drought killed last year, and pruned up all the others.

Did the obligatory cleanup of the yards followed by a short cut to encourage growth. I have winter rye which fixes enough nitrogen for the bermuda, st augustine, fescue mix most years so all I do is mulch and haven't fertilized in years.

This weekend we plan on transplanting the monkey grass (Lirope?) from the front flower beds to the side of the house by the driveway where nothing but weeds ever grows. This stuff is indistructable so hopefully it will take over there too. Then plant some more shrubs so that the front porch has a low hedge around it (it is a concrete porch raised up two feet above the lawn, 10x 30 ft, with a park bench, and chairs and potted plants) .

The other project (and a major one it is) for the weekend is to give all the dogs a good bath (which to keep them looking forward to baths means they get a jog through the neighborhood afterwards. I usually wind up putting on five or six miles on that day for the six dogs). Then spray the yards for fleas and fire ants (and repeat in a couple weeks to be sure that they are gone for the summer).

I was up in the attic a couple weeks ago and discovered that squirrels and birds had found a way in and had brought in a full bale of hay to build nests. Sealed the holes, and cleaned up . Luckily none of the squirrels ate any wiring this time around and there weren't any eggs or babies . Also nothing got trapped inside and died.

I have changed all my lights to compact fluorescent, including the outdoor ones (over the last few years) . That means only the front porch is still on motion sensor (street light on the pole out front anyhow) , the others are dusk to dawn (hey with a 65 watt fluorescent putting out almost as much light as a 500watt halogen or a mercury vapor light that is not to wasteful and there is just one of those and three 13 watt fluorescent floods). I did away with the motion sensors after someone burgled my shed (nothing of any value inside) and my neighbors garage, They had just used a pole to turn the sensors around. So floods up high dusk to dawn and let the dogs out unpredictably.

Oh, I'm so jealous of these projects y'all are doing!

We finally got the warm weather back today and I've been busy opening my parent's house (they're returning from Florida sometime between Sunday and Tuesday) and dealing with my "nut with a walker" A LOT!

Did walk the dog today, though...she insisted on it! And hanging clothes on the line once again *snifffffff* love the smell of line dried clothes!

Hopefully after Sunday I'll get my hands dirty again (Holy Cow! Weatherguesser just guessed 78 degrees for Sunday! Well, it'll be lucky to reach 70 here by the Puddle, but I'll take 70!!)

Liz

I took the plastic off the windows, cleaned the screens and have opened this place up to air it out this morning. It's 44F right now and supposed to hit 65. The dog gets a surprise bath Saturday when it's supposed to be in the 70s. At least I had an early jump on the lawn a couple of weeks ago and only need to be concerned with mowing once that time has come. There are still a couple of small piles of snow dotted here and there.

Well, as soon as I got all riled up and ready to go, cold weather snuck in again (on my days off). Now that I'm back to work, it's warm. :huh:

So I got a ton of inside chores done (won't bore ya with that stuff).

I work nights and let me tell you, it's tough to go to bed to sleep when it's so beautiful outside (not to mention trying to sleep while the neighborhoods busy as a beehive -- kids, mowers, etc.). At least the local motorcycle fan has moved, no more Harley rumble keeping me up (must be impossible to keep those things in tune ... ;)).

Well, as soon as I got all riled up and ready to go, cold weather snuck in again (on my days off). Now that I'm back to work, it's warm. :huh:

So I got a ton of inside chores done (won't bore ya with that stuff).

I work nights and let me tell you, it's tough to go to bed to sleep when it's so beautiful outside (not to mention trying to sleep while the neighborhoods busy as a beehive -- kids, mowers, etc.). At least the local motorcycle fan has moved, no more Harley rumble keeping me up (must be impossible to keep those things in tune ... ;) ).

I am not even looking forward to the indoor chores. Between the dust from the furnace and the dog hair all over it'll take me a whole day to clean.

I think your Harley neighbor moved 2 houses away from me. It's so nice to hear it roar quite a few times, then the constant short runs to see if any improvements were made. Naturally I can't get upset over that after building and owning stock cars for many years. My neighbors used to get up in arms because of the constant tuning. LD

... I think your Harley neighbor moved 2 houses away from me. ...

:lol:

You can HAVE him!

'Course when I had a roommate that was an ambitious mechanic, well, we made our share of noise too. After he rebuilt the Mustang's engine we had to drive it around thirty miles to a shop that would put on the exhaust system I wanted. Nothin' but headers. For thirty miles. We drew some attention (thank goodness none of the uniformed persuasion). [wow, I must be gettin' old, I don't remember what type of silencers we put on ...]

So tomorrow I'm off and ... it's supposed to rain. No outside chores, again. :(

------

Edited by JDoors

Well the push lawn mower has fresh oil, gas and tune-up. I straightened the garage out so I can tackle the rider. It needs a total overhaul. I finally finished getting the last stump out and rolled it over to the garage. I can now see out my windows. I need to pick up some more Windex. Tomorrow I start on the interior. Blah!

This week the OL decided that the Monkey grass (lirope) growing in the beds in front of the porch (we have a concrete porch about 10x30 and two feet high in front of the house with bushes at the four corners and flower beds in between. I had long since given up on annuals, and just let monkey grass take over) transplanted to the one foot wide strip between the driveway and the house on the west (hot sun here in texas) side where nothing but weeds has ever succeeded . Oh well , I dug it up and moved it yesterday. Maybe it will survive maybe not. She now wants me to get more of the bushes (nandinia ) to fill in and make a privacy hedge around the porch (at least they are low maintenance and hardy and fast growing ) with flowers planted in front.

I'll get the bushes in this week.

Today, I am probably going to spray the back alley with some once a year herbicide so that I do not have to keep going back there to cut stuff all year. The city fines you if the weeds get over a foot tall which can happen in a few days when it rains. Far easier to just kill it all and not worry for a year.

Then it is time for the dogs to get baths and the spray the yards to keep the squirrels (and neighborhood cats) fleas from starting an infestation; summer is just around the corner here.

I really am tempted to pick up a pork loin (they have John Morrell boneless pork half loins on for $`1.69 /lb and that is too good a price to pass up.). Maybe inject it with barbeque sauce and then slow cook with indirect heat and some smoke on the grill this afternoon. MMMMM Pork rules. Bar-b-que pork sandwiches mmmmmm. And the weather is great.

The local packy has Red Dog (Plank road brewery) on for $10.24 per case (picked one up yesterday since they are closed on Sunday) and it is a beautiful day out there .

I changed out my rear brakes and drums a couple weeks ago since I did the front ones last year. Took it in for inspection and they did not even check the parking brake (well it was parked with it on when I handed the keys over, so I guess that counts) . Just plugged in the OBD II hookup, logged on with the DPS (Department of Public Safety , it is all connected by internet to a central database so that if you fail you cannot just go down the street and cheat, the computer knows what engine etc it should find based on registration ) , scanned in the insurance card bar code and the one on the registration sticker (they use hand scanners like at some grocery stores) and slapped on the inspection sticker and charged me forty bucks.

Yeah, I guess today will be an outdoor day.

Oh yeah, they started a "blue bin" recycle program where we got a 90 gallon trash cart just for recyclables . They pick it up every other week. Glass bottles, plastics (all but styrofoam) paper and cardboard(even junk mail, phonebooks, milk cartons,and more) , metal (steel and aluminum) and a few other things. Since then we rarely get even one bag of regular trash every other pickup. I bought some new shelving for the pantry and went through and threw out a bunch of glass jars and plastic containers and empty boxes we had saved for who knows what reason. Still four days to recycle pickup and I have the bin full and enough to refill it . Might have to see if I can borrow space in one of the neighbors bins on pickup day; since I really need to tackle the back porch , and storage shed too in the near future.

Edited by Pete_C
...[an unHoly amount of work] ... they started a "blue bin" recycle program where we got a 90 gallon trash cart just for recyclables .... Since then we rarely get even one bag of regular trash every other pickup. ...

Whew, you really get busy, huh?

I LOVE the recycling. Almost no trash any more.

I must admit I cheat. There are a few items that ARE recyclable that they specify they don't take (certain marked plastics for example) but I throw them in the bin anyway. Let them throw them away. (Am I a bad person for that? Huh? Am I?)

Today's weather is GLORIOUS <Halleluah choir sings> ... and I'm too tired from work to do anything. Bad night. Frustrating. One of those days where everywhere you turn there's some unecessary obstacle making the job more difficult (eg. someone, at some time, decided to do things "different" for no apparent reason, I have to UNDO that before I can complete my work). Regardless of the weather, I'm gonna hit the sack early. There'll be other days.

------

Edited by JDoors

It is a perfect sunny 76 degree day and I have spent the last 5 hours cleaning the bathroom. I removed every and anything that could be then cleaned from top to bottom. My knees and back are sore from cleaning the toilet and floor. Those foolish disposable mops don't do it for me. Time for me to evict the dog from sleeping in the bathroom. Between the dog hair and his habit of taking some food to bed with him, eeek!

I am amazed that your dog sleeps in the bathroom, Terrorist! Sandy avoids the bathroom like the plague, especially when someone's in the shower....which is weird since we've never bathed her in the tub. At least I don't have to worry about her drinking from the loo!

Beautiful day today but way to windy to play in the gardens. BUT washed pillows, sheets and a comforter and hung them outside on the line! Needed vicegrips instead of clothespins but line dried scented bliss in store for me when I go to bed!

Tomorrow's forecast is for rain, but I don't care, it's better than snow!

Liz

It is a perfect sunny 76 degree day and I have spent the last 5 hours cleaning the bathroom. ...

:wacko:

You can't do that when it's raining?!?

Warm-ish, mixed clouds and sun, and windy. Lawn's looking terrible! Between the dandelions (you know the feeling, like you get them worse than everyone else?), the "puffs" of taller grass from the neighbor's dog ... umm ... playing in my yard, and it's just time to mow, I guess it has to be done. But I haven't prepped the mower yet so ... Am I THAT ambitious today?

I don't know the spark plug type for the mower so that'll require one either lookin' it up or pulling it out first then going out to buy it, then there's the oil change (& lookin' up how much it takes and buying it), then the blades (ok, sharpening the blades takes all of ten minutes), THEN mow the lawn?

Not likely. :unsure:

Edited by JDoors

Well, I got it all accomplished yesterday. My mower manual was right where I put it (file cabinet with all the other manuals), wrote down the plug numbers (two different types from two different manufacturers) and made note of the oil type and amount (and made a mental note to create a "measurements" list in my Daily Planner program so I can find these things easier -- which I did today).

Go to the store ... and NONE of the plug numbers match anything else. Grr (and I blame that on it being a Honda). Fine, I'll go another year without replacing it. Get the oil & finish other shopping. At home, I change the oil, sharpen the blades, fill up the tank and GO. Glad I did 'cause the lawn was really high in spots, put quite the drag on the motor & causing clumping of the mulched clippings.

For the moment, I have the best looking lawn in the neighborhood. :thumbsup:

In a previous post I listed about two dozen reasons why I hate the Honda, and half-heartedly expressed regret that I'd have to put up with its faults forever because it'll probably last that long. Mixed blessing there.

Today, tomorrow, and the day after, rain. The lawn'll never look better than it does now. :thumbsup:

I cleaned so much junk out of the pantry / store room that I had to borrow one of the neighbors recycle bins to hold it all (tomorrow is recycling day ) . Mainly cardboard box bottoms from cases of canned vegetables ( I bought some new shelves) and empty glass jars we had saved for who knows what reason , and empty plastic containers we had saved for the same unknown reason. Saved about a third of the jars and containers just in case I can find a use for them. But still had two 90 gallon bins of recycle including the last two weeks household output.

I guess I will have to sharpen my mower blades this week; I have been putting it off but last week the mower kept jamming up rather than mulching things satisfactorily . Hmm, maybe this is an excuse to set up my bench grinder instead of using the thing on the end of my drill to sharpen the blades.... Then I could grind all the knives and a few other things which need a good grinding.

Today , I used my new pressure cooker for the second time. I got a six quart stainless steel presto for $7.50 at Wally world becasuse the box was crushed. It wasn't opened or anything, just crushed up. But there was no damage to the cooker (not even the styrofoam inside was really damaged just the box). So today I made a pressure cooker pork loin roast. A four pound loin, a can of tomatoes , an onion ,lots of garlic, a cup of burgundy and enough cold water to cover. Turn on real low so it takes about an hour to reach a simmer, lock on the top and bring up to pressure and cook for an hour. It came out so tender I think you could suck it through a straw if you had to . Tender and moist. Served with a little barbeque sauce on the side and some steamed basmati rice to pour some juice on.

Pete, I've never owned one but my Mom LOVES her pressure cooker! She swears by making stew and mashed potatoes with it and I read that it cans vegetables beautifully (Mom's not a canner). Have fun with it! My Mom also loves her Crock Pot....how's that for opposites? ;)

Liz

I cleaned so much junk out of the pantry / store room that I had to borrow one of the neighbors recycle bins to hold it all (tomorrow is recycling day ) . ... Today , I used my new pressure cooker for the second time. I got a six quart stainless steel presto for $7.50 at Wally world becasuse the box was crushed. It wasn't opened or anything, just crushed up. But there was no damage to the cooker (not even the styrofoam inside was really damaged just the box). So today I made a pressure cooker pork loin roast. A four pound loin, a can of tomatoes , an onion ,lots of garlic, a cup of burgundy and enough cold water to cover. Turn on real low so it takes about an hour to reach a simmer, lock on the top and bring up to pressure and cook for an hour. It came out so tender I think you could suck it through a straw if you had to . Tender and moist. Served with a little barbeque sauce on the side and some steamed basmati rice to pour some juice on.

You reminded me I have to, or should, clean out the garage before this weekend, as the "spring cleaning pickup" is Saturday (where they'll pick up items of any size, any kind, no charge). Meant to get it done earlier ... Ah-hem.

I remember the pressure cooker was often steaming away in the kitchen when I was growing up. Fascinated and scared me at the same time. Incredible deal on an item with just cosmetic damage to the packaging! And, <drool, drool, slobber> thanks for makin' me hungry.

Should (there's that word again) tackle inside chores as it's raining again. I have a daily planner program with a To Do list -- I removed the "date" from the To Do items a long time ago because it was making me feel guilty: An item would be on that list, undone, and looking at just how long ago I placed it in the list was beginning to bug me. :blush:

(Yeah, that's how I take care of problems, I hide them!)

I don't do lists. I just make a rash decision to start a project then don't quit until it's done. My next project is to gather up all of the old computer parts and box them so I can take them to the recycle station. Once they are gone I will have room to continue with cleaning the interior of the house. I am getting tired of tripping over old monitors and towers. For now on the customer will receive their old system to recycle themselves.