Thirty One People Now Dead From Va. Tech Shooting

I've been listening and watching to this horor all afternoon. Unfortunately it's nothing new. It's just that the casualties continue to rise on each new incident. Children now have to wonder when the next "lockdown" is going to occur. Does anybody my age even remember the term "lockdown" while attending school? I doubt it.

So what's the difference between the present day lunacy and when us older folks went to school?

Obviously the answer is the calcification, the numbing of empathy, the acceptance that these things just happen. And the way to deal with it is to "lockdown".

How about looking at the core problem? Stanley Kubrick did when he made A Clockwock Orange. Ultra-Violence. Get upset with someone? Feeling a little depressed? No problem. Just kill someone.

We have a nation filled with many people who spend their free time playing gore ridden video games. They wintess news reports of state sponsored murder of civilians in Iraq and elsewhere daily. They are desensitized to murder. It's something they witness on a daily basis in their virtual world. Thet grow up learning that when times get tough, you just start shooting.

Here's a novel idea. How about at least STARTING a national dialogue on gun control. At least talk about it. At least explore it without the NRA lobbying to defeat it before it even starts.

Guns don't kill people. But psychopaths with easy access to guns do.

Until we start to treat the crazies, let's limit the ease of access to their favorite weapon of choice.

Edited by irregularjoe
So what's the difference between the present day lunacy and when us older folks went to school?

Our perception of, and reaction to, events.

We have a nation filled with many people who spend their free time playing gore ridden video games. They wintess news reports of state sponsored murder of civilians in Iraq and elsewhere daily. They are desensitized to murder. It's something they witness on a daily basis in their virtual world. Thet grow up learning that when times get tough, you just start shooting.

It doesn't seem to be working. The serious violent crime rate has declined by 60% over the last 20 years. Youth violent crime has fallen even faster. Both are at or near their lowest levels on record.

Until we start to treat the crazies, let's limit the ease of access to their favorite weapon of choice.

Statistically, the crazies favor knives by a large margin, if I'm not mistaken.

A terrible tragedy!!! I am saddened that these youngsters were gunned down in cold blood.

My heart goes out to the families and friends of these murdered students. I can't even begin to imagine the suffering that the survivors of this senseless carnage must be enduring.

This is going to hurt the nation as a whole for a long time.

I can see more regulations for students from the colligate level all the way to grade school. We need to teach our children there are better ways to solve their problems. Everyone of us need to be accountable for our actions and accept the punishment for the laws we brake.

I would think that someone like this would have deep hatred under the surface. He may have seemed to be an "OK" type guy on the surface.

I am saddened for his family and the families of those he killed.

M

Had to cool off for a second.

His actions will have effects for decades, His family will be the "Family of the VT murder". People do not want that tagged on to their label. We are labeled enough as it is. I can see this being played out in the media for the next 5-6 years in the anniversary, and again when others do this. It will always be referenced.

M

again

Edited by mikex

It wasn't until they started showing all the different school shootings that have happened that it jogged my memory. This isn't something that has just started to happened There was that shooting down in Texas during the '60's. They're just arming themselves better. It's sad

Mark

It wasn't until they started showing all the different school shootings that have happened that it jogged my memory. This isn't something that has just started to happened There was that shooting down in Texas during the '60's. They're just arming themselves better. It's sad

Mark

My heartfelt prayers out to the families and friends and all touched by this sad incident.

I pray that we as a people will become more diligent and aware of those that may seek to cause harm. I used to live in Cupertino, CA , though I did not live there at the time, where an incident was averted at De Anza College.............. see "Averted Shooting" by those who decided to follow up on a hunch. Yeah I know sometimes people just snap, but too often there are warning signs that can be discerned.

Gun laws are not the answer. Anyone can get a gun be it legally or illegally (sigh). In the case of students, perhaps more awareness by parents or councilors or friends of the feelings of said student.

My hope and prayer: that society in general will pursue a less contentious mindset and cultivate a tolerance towards one another.

This is truly one of the saddest event to occur in past years.

I came across this while roaming digg

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/122137

Liviu Librescu a professor at Virginia Tech, ran to the door of his classroom and blocked it with his body – preventing the gunman from entering but getting shot to death himself as a result. His actions saved many of his students. Librescu is survived by his wife of 42 years, Marlena, who was with him in Virginia.