Well, mine was a 1953 Ford, flathead V-8, $75. Then a '55 Mercury convertable w/ power leather seats, power windows and enough chrome to build a new '07 Mercury. Two '57 Ford converts, a '54 Mercury "woodie" wagon and a '68 Pontiac convert. My first (and only) new car was a '74 Chevelle Laguna. It was sweet! Loaded and road worthy fast. Next was an '82 Tercell that I drove close to 200K, parked for 3 years, fired back up to drive after my van was stolen, then sold for more than I couldn't get 3 years prior. I drive vans now because I'm too old to roll in and out of these low slung cars that make me feel my butt's dragging on the ground. Besides, remember, I have a Great Dane that just don't fit in a car....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congradulations Jeff, :thumbsup:

I hope it gives you years of trouble free service. Happy motoring!

My first car was a 1964 chevelle ragtop w/283 small block chevy engine w/194 heads. I converted it from a powerglide to a 4 speed stick. I guess back then I liked chevy so much because their parts were a lot easier to interchange than ford. (Back then I was a round headlight mechanic) I worked on a lot of cars back then, you were either a chevy, ford,or mopar fan. Back then imports were not much more than tin cans w/4 wheels

Jetta's are great cars, the Wolfsburg edition is especially nice. You will love the livin' heck out of it!

At the risk of TMI, my first car (not a camera bug so the photos suck):

1407sz3.jpg

A 1975 Opel Manta. Equivalent to a Chevy Cavalier but higher quality having been designed and built in Germany. The door latches, for one example, were almost identical to those used by Mercedes.

I have to admit I wrung the living bejeesus out of that car, but it took it all in stride. Eventually the expense of repairing a German car with over 100,000 miles got to be too much. Example: though an "economy" car it had fuel injection at a time when few other cars did, except Mercedes and BMW. To get mechanics that knew hot to fix 'em you had to PAY boy, PAY. And the parts, German of course, cost big bucks.

So I bought American the next time:

639vj3.jpg

A 1981 Ford Mustang with the Cobra package. Just the OPTIONS on that car cost more than the entire Opel did. The sweetest most beautiful car on the planet (in my opinion). You could clearly see the lower quality ... when you looked under the skin. But that skin was SO beautiful! It had a V8 engine with a carburetor (so starting in frigid MidWest Winters was always hit-or-miss -- standing out in the freezing cold I sure missed that expensive fuel injection the Opel had). But then I could buy a fuel filter at any K-mart for 79 cents or the air filter for a buck-and-a-half instead of having to go to the dealer and pay nine dollars for the Opel fuel filter and eleven dollars for an air filter. Screw that man, I'll take a few exposed screws and a rattle here and there in exchange for inexpensive and easy to find parts.

Drove THAT into the ground until the engine began to knock, and I needed a 4x4 for commutes to my new job, so:

7631on9.jpg

A 1986 Jeep Comanche. Holy cow, what fun I had in that one. Saved my behind many times in blizzards and floods. I loved it so much I drove it exclusively, I never touched the Mustang again (sold that to my Nephew, eventually). Someone T-boned the Jeep and I bought a beater, when that became more expensive to maintain that it cost to make car payments I bought an Explorer (which I still have ... 120 or 130 thousand miles later).

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited, can't wait to get it and drive it home!

Yes, it's new and it's an automatic. I don't know how to drive a stick. :lol:

B

I do know the best standard shift car I ever had, but not for long, was a '65 Chevy Nova with a 327 shoehorned in it. That thing would smoke 'em. Cops were always trying to catch me, hence why I didn't have it for long. I got in waay to much trouble :rolleyes:

Mark

COOL!!! Congrats on the new toy. :thumbsup:

I know your going to just love having it....But be carefull with it... Don't want to see you get a scratch on it.

Brand new 1972 Datsun 510...Canary yellow..$1800 off the lot..pulled a small u-haul from Michigan to California in 1973..only had to replace the rear shocks...

I bought two more of these used in the next 5 years..same year and model...and paid more for each than the new one i bought in '72..only car i ever owned that increased in value.. :rolleyes:

Nice Car Jeff - Congrats :)

I have never owned a car, but I guess you could say that my Rascal, and my Arrow Power Chair are the closest thing to a car that I will ever own - When I need to go somewhere that requires a car, I simply ask my brothers - whichever is available will usually take me somewhere that I need to go ;)

Take good care of it, and it will take good care of you :)

Brian

Nice Car Jeff - Congrats :)

I have never owned a car, but I guess you could say that my Rascal, and my Arrow Power Chair are the closest thing to a car that I will ever own - When I need to go somewhere that requires a car, I simply ask my brothers - whichever is available will usually take me somewhere that I need to go ;)

Take good care of it, and it will take good care of you :)

Brian

My brother in law works for a material handling outfit and specializes in the electrics. We could get him to zip up youre Rascal a bit. You should see what he did to my elec. golf cart :thumbsup:

Mark

start brushin up on car maintenance to make sure that thing lasts you a long time.

Man everyone around me is gettin new cars. One of my good buddies just got an 07 Altima bout a month or 2 ago. He got a 2.5S with the little extras package so he got alloys and a moonroof. I wish someone would get me an 07 Civic Si or an 06 RSX Type S.

Nice ride man. I like it but the auto shifter I don't like. Ha! Ever since going from the "Retard Auto" 85 Sunbird to a stick shift Civic, I gotta have a clutch pedal and shifter that doesn't have Park or Drive. ("Retard Auto" refers to how poorly the car shifted. It never shifted at the right time. I had to help it sometimes).

I like the interior of the car. not my favorite interior color (my favorite is Honda Gray Type F :P which is what both my Civics had) but a great lookin interior. European and Japanese interiors in personal opinion have always been nicer and better lookin that domestic interiors. At least since the 90's. (I actually kinda liked the interior of my Sunbird but lord is the interior in my parents' 03 PT Cruiser crappy and cheap lookin). The climate control and CD Player is really simplified and clean. Makes mine look real busy. Lots of buttons and sliders on mine.

Be safe. Don't drive like a maniac. Don't try and race (it's auto V Dub so I don't expect you too) and maintain that booger. Oil change every 3000 miles or 3 months, which ever comes first. Since it's new, baby it for a while until you get the motor broke in.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Wait, hold the phone there Honda Boy. Oil changes at 3k miles is well... old school thinking. Betweek 5k and 7.5k is just fine on dino oil (for a VW, 7500 is probably listed in the owner's manual). 10k-15k on synthetic. (change the filter before that though) 3k miles has been pounded in our head by the oil change industry... dont fall for it.

EDIT:

In fact, I just found out Ford is setting oil change intervals for all 07 and newer vehciles to 7500 miles.

Edited by Bubba Bob

well scuse me but my synthetic Mobil 1 5w-30 is black as coal after 3000 miles so that's what I've always done.

*Remember my car may be 11 years old but the motor is only about 7-8. This motor since it's newer ain't as bad but my 95's motor which was original was even worse so it definitely needed to be changed every 3000. Also the 3000 miles thing is for true babiers. Most of the people on Honda-Tech and TennSpeed change their oil every 2500-3000 miles to ensure their motors last as long as possible.

Edited by Honda_Boy

If motor oil turns black that means its working. The job of the oil is to clean and lubricate. You can't judge oil by the color.

Also the 3000 miles thing is for true babiers. Most of the people on Honda-Tech and TennSpeed change their oil every 2500-3000 miles to ensure their motors last as long as possible.

Well, if yall want to pay extra money for peace of mind then... I dont blame you. It sure won't hurt anything. But, since you dont mind paying alot for oil changes (judging by the use of M1) then next oil change take your oil somewhere to by analyzed. I use Blackstone (by mail). Last oil change was 7500 miles, and they said I could have gone to 10k safely. But, as yall do with the 3k mile changes, Ill just pay a little extra for peace of mind.

... Oil changes at 3k miles is well... old school thinking. ... 3k miles has been pounded in our head by the oil change industry... dont fall for it. ...

I used to stubbornly stick to the interval recommended in the owners manual (most have been 7500 miles) and agree only people who sell oil say to change it every 3000 miles, but I have to admit those engines were worn out at the end of the car's life (100,000 to 175,000 miles). Those WERE older cars though, from back when they were more disposable than new ones are.

Any-hoo, now I use inexpensive oil and change it at 3000 miles hoping for more life out of the engine. I'm a fan of synthetic but can't justify the expense at this point in time (also, my Jeep's timing chain wore out even though I ran it exclusively on synthetic ... I don't know what I was expecting exactly, but it surprised me that ANYTHING wore out while using synthetic).

With the Jetta ... I dunno ... If it takes anything less than synthetic I think I'd go the 3000 mile interval route. Oil's cheap. For now.