I having trouble with sending emails, receiving them is no problem. When I try to send an email I get the Send Message Error that says the message couldn't be sent because connecting to the SMTP server failed. I switched from using Outlook Express to Mozilla Thunderbird hoping it would help, but it didn't. I've contact my ISP tech support and they walked me through to make sure the server settings were correct and they were. They thought it might be something with my anti-virus, but I just removed Norton and installed AVG, but that still doesn't work. I turned off Windows Firewall and a couple of messages were able to send, but after a couple of minutes, I tried to send a message and got the same error. Does anyone have any suggestions, this is driving me crazy.

Couple of thoughts. Was the firewall still turned off when it decided to quit sending emails again, or did you turn it back on? Did you install AVG free or is this a purchased copy with all the bells and whistles that will scan email? I know there are ways to ping an email addy, Google should help. Are the emails to a specific server or several? Recheck your SMPT settings again. I know that's redundant, but I've screwed up more than once. Don't forget the "periods" Soory I couldn't be of more help

Mark

Edited by garmanma

Do you notice a pattern in the amount of time (after downloading your e-mail) until you are able to send e-mail successfully?

What type of internet connection are you on? Cable or DSL? Are you using a router?

Did you uninstall your NAV properly? Heed the warning if you decide to use this tool!

Garmanma: Yes, the firewall was still turned off when they quit sending again. I installed the free AVG so that shouldn't be scanning any emails.

Falcon: It just stopped working after a couple of minutes, I'm not sure how long. I'm using DSL, with a router. I'm 99% sure I uninstalled Norton correctly.

I turned the firewall back on, but checked all of the mail access and server options for exceptions to the firewall. Now, when I open Thunderbird, I am able to send an email to anyone at any address. But after that 1 email, I get the error. If I close the program and reopen it, it does the same thing. It seems odd that I can send 1 email everytime I open Thunderbird, but no more after that. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

You said you went through your ISP tech support. They should have walked you through the authentication for the outgoing server. Given you the correct outgoing server name. Correct port settings.

Is this issue with all mail?

With and without attachments?

Any size emails?

Within and outside your ISP domain?

What is the exact error the email client is giving you?

Does your ISP have webmail you can use to send mail from in the mean time?

Window firewall is the only firewall you are using?

What changed from when you could to when you could not send....any updates windows or otherwise?

Damn I asked more questions than the OP.

M

Did you change ISPs?

Or is this an account other than with your ISP?

More and more broadband ISPs no longer will allow you to send using a different mail server. If they detect email traffic and it is not going to their mail server they assume you are a spammer and block it.

Mikex: They walked through and set up the outgoing server. I double checked everything they were telling me. This happens with all emails, no matter what size. The only thing I've noticed is that, if I'm sending an email to someone that uses the sames ISP email address, it goes through just fine. But, if I try sending it outside of that, I can only do one each time I open Thunderbird. I don't think anything has changed from before.

Terrorist: Thanks, I've already ran that to remove everything.

Pete: I haven't switched ISPs. I've been using this one, problem free, for over a year.

If it makes any difference, I can send emails to anyone when I get on my ISPs website and access my email that way. It's just nicer to be able to have Thunderbird open at all times. Any more suggestions?

Just to rule out a problem on your computer, I would try rolling back system restore to a point where you know eveything was working alright. If that does not fix your problem, you can more likely assume the problem is with your isps smtp servers.

AVG would only block outgoing mail if it detects something wrong with e-mails outbound, such as a virus, or trying to send multiple e-mails as if a worm were acting on the system.

Do you have the most recent build of Thumderbird installed? Maybe try reinstalling Thunderbird and see if that helps.

Did you disable Outlook Express? The two e-mail programs might be causing a conflict. You might have to manually disable Outlook, not just make Thunderbird the default client.

And as stated, recheck your outbound settings in options. You would be surprised how many times I have made a mistake and kept missing it over and over. Maybe just retype everything.

And yes. Also make sure to search for everything to do with Norton. Sometimes it doesn't play nice when it is being removed. Seems something close to this topic rings a bell in the back of my memory. And had to do with Norton. But maybe not. Just a small thought I have.

Good luck

Remembering back a couple years I had the exact same problem with my wife's unit. Hers would'nt even send one email. I'm looking through my notes but I can't find what I did. IIRC after several calls and 3 different people to my ISP, It was discoverd it was the configuration on their end. This wasn't discovered until the first tier troubleshooters couldn't figure it out and I got bumped up a notch on the support chain. They did some upgrades, and I had extra accounts or something like that. Sorry I can't remember more

Mark

Edited by garmanma

Ask if they can reset you account. This is just deleting the present one then making a new mail account with the same information. I did this for one of our customers. Sorry I didn't think of it earlier. Thanks guys for jogging my memory. I would bet this would solve the issue.

M