Question About Virtual Memory

Hello all,

I recently installed a 1 gig stick of ram. So now I have the 1 gig and a 256 MB stick. Right now I have virtual memory set at 768 MB as opposed to the 672 MB that it once used to be before I upgraded. When my computer is idle it has about 768 MB free and I have onboard graphics.

How much virtual memory should I have?

Actually allowing Windows to manage it works quite well. If you want to set it yourself set the minimum to 1.5 times the amount of memory and the maximum three times the amount.

Minimum = 1920

Maximum = 3840

Thank you for the reply. Im only adjusting it myself because I tried to play a video game and it said I needed to have more virtual memory.

That error report is more often due to a flaw in the game itself rather than Windows.

Check on the game's web site to see if a patch is available to solve the problem.

-----------

Having made this mistake myself too often...

Programmers often forget to release buffers and so on that will chew up any and all available memory regardless of the operating system virtual memory settings.

You might try taking a look at Task Manager's "Commit Charge/Peak" value (on the Performance tab) just after the crash.

If that's close to (or over) the Limit value, that's it.

Edited by CurlingSteve