WHY can't I use my Start>Run commands like msinfo32 and stuff like that and most importand I can't use the Help and Support link in the menu where you go Start>Help and Support WHY and do I have to format the computer or install windows again or something easier plz help me I have Win XP Pro and service pack 1

Hi X-Cannon

The link from tictoc5150 should fix your run command problem, if it doesn't let us know.

For your Help & Support prob, open Admin Tools - Services and make sure the Help & Support service is started and set to automatic, it could be disabled in here.

Dave

Go back to the page tictoc gave. Scroll down to the ones he mentioned. Right-click the link on the right side and select save as. Save it to your desktop. When you go there, it should have an icon with a blue rubix cube like thing. Double click it and it will give some sort of warning about adding to registry blah blah blah. Click yes and it will add the stuff to the registry. You should probably restart now and hopefully it will work.

have you tired the post chappy sent in that is the place a lot of applis are enabled .

it is also in winxp.

right click your start -p-roperties- start menu- customise -advanced .

put a check mark in the help and support box.

marty

X-Cannon, try this:

open up Notepad (Start=>Programs=>accessories=>Notepad)=>copy and paste the stuff tictoc gave=>save as=>change "save as type" to "all files=>name the file "blah blah.reg" without the quotes=>save=>close notepad=>excecute the file

After this the warning I mentioned should popup.

I did that and still nothing when I click on the help and support link I get a message that says unable to locate file and when I type in msinfo32 in the run command I see the mouse change to the timesand thing and when I go to task manager>processes I see something but after a few seconds it goes away what should I do? Heres the help and support message

no6lu.jpg

Is this a pre-built machine?...by that I mean, did it come with XP installed and you only have restore disks?..or do you have an XP CD?

If you have an XP install CD, I would try opening a command prompt and type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes)...have your XP CD ready when it asks for it to repair the files.

If that fails, I'd try a repair through recovery console...but one step at a time