Need Help Chosing Some Memory

Hey all,

I have a Compaq model SR2020NX with currently 512MB of memory. I need more than that so I'm looking to upgrade to atleast 1GB depending on how much money I could spend. But Im confused as to which memory I should buy. I know my motherboard supports PC4200 (533 MHz) but this website Here

says my motherboard will also support PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs?

I'm assuming the 5300 is better but at a higher price? Also how does dual channel work? Say I can only purchase a 1GB memory stick, could I later purchase the same type of memory stick and it will function in dual channel? Does PC2 5300 also work in dual channel? I just need more memory for multi-tasking. My motherboard is a A8M2N-LA (NodusM).

StealthG:

Go here to Crucial and it will tell you what you need to know. See the "Crucial Memory Advisor Tool" and follow instructions.

I buy all my ram from them. Keep checking with them as prices change according to supply and demand.

Crucial

It's a good place to start, to at least find out what kind of ram your computer takes.

Barb :D

Hey all,

I have a Compaq model SR2020NX with currently 512MB of memory. I need more than that so I'm looking to upgrade to atleast 1GB depending on how much money I could spend. But Im confused as to which memory I should buy. I know my motherboard supports PC4200 (533 MHz) but this website Here

says my motherboard will also support PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs?

I'm assuming the 5300 is better but at a higher price? Also how does dual channel work? Say I can only purchase a 1GB memory stick, could I later purchase the same type of memory stick and it will function in dual channel? Does PC2 5300 also work in dual channel? I just need more memory for multi-tasking. My motherboard is a A8M2N-LA (NodusM).

I would suggest that you use the same speed memory as you presently have. Although the memory is backward compatible, there is really no need to buy the faster memory. Dual channel is a function on the motherboard and not the memory. To utilize the function you will need to use 2 identical memory sticks in the 2 slots. Using 1 stick will be OK until you spring for the second stick. Rumor has it that dual channel only gives a 4% to 8% increase in performance, so not a real big deal.