Attention Pet Owners

Del Monte Recall Many brands of Jerky Treats. :( Codes and expiration dates are printed on the bottom of the packets.

And guess what Sandydog gets daily? AND to top it off, her "Tender Chops" Dog food is made by Delmonte as well. So far, so good on the codes on HER treats (she prefers Wavy Bacon) , but sure could use some finger crossing as I'm sure they'll expand the list. She's acting fine but I'm calling the Vet tomorrow :(

Liz

My cat LOVES Pounce treats. He's not going to be happy about this.

Thanks for the update Liz.

It's like waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Why don't they start a list of foods our pets can eat without getting sick ?

Great point Bobby.

I think they call it "home cooking".

I'm going to start. Actually it's quite easy. Just add vitamins to your pets diet. Probably also check with your vet about the ingredients.

Whatever, it can't be any worse than the rat poison and plastic fillers that the industry has been supplying us.

Joe

Through the years I and friends have been advised to feed "people" food to ailing furbabies. Right now I'm feeding my 8 1/2 year old dane about two pounds of cooked, peeled potatoes a day.(in addition to her regular ration of dry food) She dropped a lot of weight suddenly and it's been impossible to get it back on her. The vet says she's in good health so it's a "SPUD" suppement diet for awhile. Other times I've been instructed to feed an ole gal lean cooked burger and rice. Many breeders of working dogs feed only meat. I dunno what the answer is. I'm just hoping no one I know loses a pet because of the greed involved with big business. Oh and "screw China and any of it's food imports" Their people are hungry and they are shipping food here or to Canada? Good dang thing that wheat gluten wasn't used in people food like bread and ready to serve stuff.

I remember once when Sandy had a stomach bug and the Vet recommended Hamburger and Rice or Hamburger and Spaghetti until she felt better. This was shortly after we adopted this skinny thing and she flourished on this! Asked the Vet if we could continue just feeding her that and she didn't recommend it because it lacked all the nutrients of dog food, but a combo of the homemade and dog food would be ok.

Symptoms of poisoning:

Throwing up

Diahar...diarah...oh shoot, the runs!

No energy

No appetite

Significant increase in drinking water (reminder, they do drink more water this time of year as its getting warmer and they're still wearing their winter coats!)

Son felt sorry for Sandy since I hid her treats and bought her a bag of....real jerky. Is she spoiled or what???

Liz

Through the years I and friends have been advised to feed "people" food to ailing furbabies. Right now I'm feeding my 8 1/2 year old dane about two pounds of cooked, peeled potatoes a day.(in addition to her regular ration of dry food) She dropped a lot of weight suddenly and it's been impossible to get it back on her. The vet says she's in good health so it's a "SPUD" suppement diet for awhile. Other times I've been instructed to feed an ole gal lean cooked burger and rice. Many breeders of working dogs feed only meat. I dunno what the answer is. I'm just hoping no one I know loses a pet because of the greed involved with big business. Oh and "screw China and any of it's food imports" Their people are hungry and they are shipping food here or to Canada? Good dang thing that wheat gluten wasn't used in people food like bread and ready to serve stuff.

I am wondering when, or if, anyone will start checking into how much of the tainted wheat gluten got into our human food supply? I think this will be the next shoe to drop on our heads. Yeah wheat gluten is used in alot of products...not just for making loaves of bread, how about in the hamburger buns at your local fast food joint, and is used in all sorts of packaged food products, and if I remember right it is used in various vegetarian products though will have to do a search for more info on that one.

I have seen nothing from the FDA or anyone in government commenting on if this product or similar tainted ones got into the human food supply either.

The pet food processor refuses to even admit how big a pet food problem this is with accurate number of dead and sick animals, but the various state and national veternarian societies list thousands of sick and dead animals...and that doesn't even count the ones that die before they get to the vets.

This whole issue is heartbreaking for so many people to worry about and/or lose their pets or have huge vet bills trying to save the dear animals. My heart goes out to them, and my prayers too.

Pat

God bless everyone

I am wondering when, or if, anyone will start checking into how much of the tainted wheat gluten got into our human food supply? I think this will be the next shoe to drop on our heads. Yeah wheat gluten is used in alot of products...not just for making loaves of bread, how about in the hamburger buns at your local fast food joint, and is used in all sorts of packaged food products, and if I remember right it is used in various vegetarian products though will have to do a search for more info on that one.

I have seen nothing from the FDA or anyone in government commenting on if this product or similar tainted ones got into the human food supply either.

The pet food processor refuses to even admit how big a pet food problem this is with accurate number of dead and sick animals, but the various state and national veternarian societies list thousands of sick and dead animals...and that doesn't even count the ones that die before they get to the vets.

This whole issue is heartbreaking for so many people to worry about and/or lose their pets or have huge vet bills trying to save the dear animals. My heart goes out to them, and my prayers too.

Pat

God bless everyone

I have been thinking the same thing about the "people food" connection.

In fact I went into my pantry when I came home tonight and threw out a box of......yes, you guessed it.....WHEAT GLUTEN.

As some of you know, I'm a "chef"....... so I had the gluten to bake bread. It was from a heath food store and supposedly made in the US, but kidney failure is something that I'd rather avoid, so I didn't want to take any chances.

I did work for a woman today who told me that one of her dogs died 3 months ago from kidney failure. She gave him dog treats that are on the recall list.

As far as the FDA is concerned..........their primary goal is to lobby for the agri-business and pharmacy companies. Protecting the public only comes in if there are not any conflicts of (profit) interest.

Very sad indeed.

I agree with you Joe.

I personally prefer to cook with whole grains and fresh ingredients when possible . but there are times when you just plain have to have something like corn starch or a processed component to complete a recipe and substitution is not an option.

I guess it is one more thing to blame the ill informed rabid environmentalists who do not think things through for. Just as their lawsuits to block nuclear power led to its downfall in the US resulting in the current oil and coal fired plant / global warming debacle; their obsessive jump on the bandwagon endorsement of turning corn into ethanol and soybeans into bio diesel has resulted in the unforseen (but not unforseeable) consequence of farmers decreasing production of other grains (wheat) and industry shifting from local processing of those grains (which would be under USDA and FDA observation and regulation no doubt) to ethanol and biodiesel production.

When will people realize that all actions have consequences and that the consequences must be weighed carefully by a fully informed decision maker not by an idiot or moron or public opinion.

I heard one proposing that we solve our energy problems with tidal and current generating stations located in the gulf stream. I guess that when it disrupts the thermohaline circulation and causes an ice age they will blame that on global warming.

But it has been five and a half years since 9/11/2001 and we allegedly have implemented security to protect our food supply from terrorist attack; why then did it fail to detect this? Why do they waste time and money on major security actions which may at best protect a few hundred individuals while letting threats which could affect the entire population go unchecked??

This to me sounds like Walter Reed all over again; they know they are not doing what they tell us they are and not doing what is needed; but instead will claim that they too were deceived so that they can continue waging war against their pet foes and targeting the evils they feel are a threat to their personal convictions as opposed to threats to the nation.

First will put in links to articles from the Oregonian yesterday... the first one shows the total ineptitude of those who are in charge of protecting the food supply for either pets or humans. They didn't even announce banning importing wheat gluten from China until Monday and I wonder how long after the announcement the ban will take affect??? Why on earth didn't they at least put a temporary ban on it's sale here and from anymore coming into our country until the whole thing was solved when they first found out the stuff had a problem???!!!???

Policing the nation's pet food Oreognian article April 3, 07

As usual for the Oregonian, the articles are only free for the first 14 days.

This next article, also from the Oregonian yesterday, is just as wierd in my opinion.

U.S.Supplier says only pet food contaminated (like I would believe them???)

I agree with Pete, you'd think this long after 9/11 that they would be able to protect the food supply, or in my opinion at least be able to deal with any problems that arise in a much more efficient way and be proactive to ban or stop the use of any product under suspicion!!! But then they never even made any useful attempt to prevent mad cow beef from entering our food supply...so why would I think they could do anything about "little things" like poisoned pet food or the possibility of the same tainted product being in our food? :unsure:

I heard a preacher say once that one of the reasons he prays over his food is because he has to eat it...referring especially to unfamiliar etc. food on overseas trips. Well we need protection of U.S. food too, so Hubby and I will continue to pray over ours too.

Stay safe folks.

Pat

God bless everyone

Thanks for the link Liz,

I think this is a totally idiotic statement: quoting from the article.

“Other than that, I think, you know, the public should feel secure in purchasing pet foods that are not subject to the recall,†Stephen Sundlof, director of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, told reporters."

If he thinks anyone feels pet food is safe he's living in an isolation booth with no tv, newspaper, or internet news!!!

And down at the bottom of the article yet another recall, this time for salmonella contamination, for pet owners to double check what they have/buy.

"Also Thursday, the FDA warned consumers not to give American Bullie A.B. Bull Pizzle Puppy Chews and Dog Chews to their pets. The FDA said salmonella could contaminate the dog treats, made and distributed by T.W. Enterprises of Ferndale, Wash."

How can the FDA tell people not to worry about buying pet food/snack stuff not listed on the recalls when each day or two more are added to the list??? I wonder if that guy has any pets, if so what is he feeding them now???

Stay safe folks and your pets too!!!

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat
Thanks for the link Liz,

I think this is a totally idiotic statement: quoting from the article.

“Other than that, I think, you know, the public should feel secure in purchasing pet foods that are not subject to the recall,†Stephen Sundlof, director of the FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine, told reporters."

If he thinks anyone feels pet food is safe he's living in an isolation booth with no tv, newspaper, or internet news!!!

And down at the bottom of the article yet another recall, this time for salmonella contamination, for pet owners to double check what they have/buy.

"Also Thursday, the FDA warned consumers not to give American Bullie A.B. Bull Pizzle Puppy Chews and Dog Chews to their pets. The FDA said salmonella could contaminate the dog treats, made and distributed by T.W. Enterprises of Ferndale, Wash."

How can the FDA tell people not to worry about buying pet food/snack stuff not listed on the recalls when each day or two more are added to the list??? I wonder if that guy has any pets, if so what is he feeding them now???

Stay safe folks and your pets too!!!

Pat

God bless everyone

"How can the FDA tell people not to worry about buying pet food/snack stuff not listed on the recalls when each day or two more are added to the list??? I wonder if that guy has any pets, if so what is he feeding them now???"

Because the FDA is about as competent as FEMA.

• 2 weeks later...
New stuff being recalled.
Pet Food Recall Expanded on New Finding

Wednesday April 18, 8:44 am ET

By Andrew Bridges, Associated Press Writer

Industrial Chemical That Contaminated Pet Food Is Found in Second Ingredient, Expanding Recall

Natural Balance

Yeah , I saw that in the newspaper this morning.

I saw on another board that people were recommending switching to Natural Balance since it used Rice protein concentrate instead of wheat gluten.

• 2 weeks later...
SHANGHAI: A Chinese company accused of selling contaminated wheat gluten to pet food suppliers in the United States failed to disclose to China's export authorities that it was shipping food or feed to the United States, thereby avoiding having its goods inspected, according to U.S. regulators.

Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development, one of two Chinese companies at the center of the massive pet food recall after thousands of animals were killed and sickened, had shipped more than 700 tons of wheat gluten labeled as "nonfood" products earlier this year through a third party, a Chinese textile company.

Curiouser and curiouser...

But Xuzhou Anying advertised on the Internet as recently as late March seeking to buy large quantities of melamine scrap. "We urgently need a lot of melamine scrap," Xuzhou said in a posting March 21 on a trading Web site called EC21, leaving a cellphone number.

Herald Tribune