Error Message When Downloading Files From Internet

greetings all,

It has been a while since I posted with a problem. This is something that has just recently started to happen. Any time I download a program and try to open it from the download box I get this error. I also get this erroe when I try to download pics from webshots. I have never had this problem before and I am wondering if it has any thing to do with any critical updates for IE. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

ps forgot to mention i have full admin rights

Edited by novi

IE 7 is the browser. I have not updated the firewall (using same as always ZA pro) using spybot s+d, ad-aware, spyware blaster. I have done a cleanup of temp files. I'm still stumped on this one, If any one has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Pat

Hmm, Okay a few things to try...

1. Make sure the Windows Firewall is disabled

2. Go to the folder, you're trying to download these files to and try the following:

Right click on the folder and choose "Properties" and look to the bottom of the "General" tab. Here you should find an "Unblock" button provided to allow normal access to the folder.

Note: I'm not sure if that applies to folders, however it does with executables...but it's worth a shot. So if you don't see the unblock button don't worry about it.

3. Make sure your IE security settings are set to Medium-High.

B

Hi Jeff,

Just got home from work. Not running webroot spy sweeper. and yes I am running XP home. I am going to get a bite to eat and will try what you suggest in a bit. Thanks jeff for the input I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Jeff,

changed some of the settings as you suggested. It seemed about the same. I tried to download some pics off of webshots, with the firewall off and it worked. I will check program settings . Now to see if I can download an add on or program. I'll keep pluging away at this.

Thanks,

Pat

greetings all,

It has been a while since I posted with a problem. This is something that has just recently started to happen. Any time I download a program and try to open it from the download box I get this error. I also get this erroe when I try to download pics from webshots. I have never had this problem before and I am wondering if it has any thing to do with any critical updates for IE. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

ps forgot to mention i have full admin rights

Was this a file you formerly had "synced for offline " so that it was in the content IE5 folder?

IE 7 no longer uses this system so previously synced items do not work.

Hi Pete,

The file was not sync'd for offline use. I only get this message when I try to either try to download a picture (off of webshots for professional pictures for desktop) or download a program for computer. It starts to download, then I get the error message. Webshots has its own photo album for storing pictures. If I turn off the firewall I can download a picture.

When I download a program (either freeware or shareware) it always gets put in the programs folder. I can no longer open the file from the download box. I have to go to the program folder and open it up from there.

Thanks Pete, if you have any ideas please let me know. I have never seen this message til recently.I thought it was either IE 7 or a windows critical update. I have not changed any settings that I can remember.

Take care,

Pat