Size Does Count

I think Bozodog's dogs are Great Danes, and she has said that is why she has a van/suv to haul the dogs around.

The only time I ever had any encounters with a Great Dane, was many years ago when a neighbor was 'babysitting' her son's dog...tied him to a tree but he managed to wrap himself both around the tree and in a hedge too....all during a torrential rainstorm!!! So the poor baby howled and howled and howled...until I finally went over to try to untangle it. First thing it did after I finally got it freed was knock me down in the mud of the alley and stand over me licking my face in thanks for coming to help, then it got itself tangled up again so I had to undo it again and with same doggy thanks results!!! I got up laughing and went home to clean up. No sooner got home and heard the howling again...looked over there and it was all tangled up again. So back over to untangle it and shorten the leash...got the same thanks!!! So headed home to shower and put on clean clothes. But ended up going over there to untangle it several more times that afternoon with nearly same results every time. Ha! I told the neighbor all about the mudmatch escapades when she got home from work, oh how we laughed and the now in the house and cleaned up dried off big dog stood up to lick our faces again as if to join in the fun!!! Ha! Ha! I only wish that longtime good neighbor friend was still alive to reminisce with!!!

The other two potentially serious big dog adventures (besides my own Belgium Black Shepherd years ago) were also "interesting'!!! The first one occurred on a walk in a nearby parklike area, a Doberman came running down the field to me and planted feet on my shoulders nearly pushing me over while doing it...just a halfgrown 'puppy' the owner said as I cleaned off my face from being thoroughly licked!!! I had never met the dog but clearly it thought I was a friend then and every time I saw it thereafter. The second one was on the sidewalk in front of our house while visiting with a neighbor who was scared of dogs while she and another neighbor showed off that lady's tiny baby and they tried to get me to hold it....no way...well let's just say I'm nervous around kids. So while they were talking babies, a huge rottweiler (sp?) pulled loose from owners walking way down the sidewalk from us and came charging up and yepppp you guessed it...right up to me and firmly planted feet on my shoulders and proceeded to plant doggy kisses all over my face. Nope never had met that dog before either!!! And yes it was still a growing pup...good thing it wasn't any bigger as it nearly knocked me down when it landed on me as it was. Owners chasing after it and calling it by name to stop and were so very apologetic. I laughed and said sure glad it's a friendly dog!!! My scaredycat neighbor ran across street in fear of that big lump of puppydog love!!! HA!!! So later told her we were even, baby versus dog, of who was afraid of which!!!

My hubby is always amazed when the big/medium sized dogs search me out for special attention everywhere we go, but oh the little ones are a terror... those yippy little ankle-biters!!! Ha! I guess the others just know I love most dogs and that I'm never scared of the big ones either!!!

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

Best dog I ever had was a white Belgium shepherd. He was huge. He would chase sticks until he dropped. His idea of a stick was the firewood I'd cut. If you were'nt careful, he come running up to you and take you out at the knees. I lost count of how many times I had to fix the rear door when he'd come running inside with a "stick" wider than the door :P

Mark

Best dog I ever had was a white Belgium shepherd. He was huge. He would chase sticks until he dropped. His idea of a stick was the firewood I'd cut. If you were'nt careful, he come running up to you and take you out at the knees. I lost count of how many times I had to fix the rear door when he'd come running inside with a "stick" wider than the door :P

Mark

What is it with Belgium Shepherds and their need to always be carrying stuff to play with?

My folks's dog, Angel, (which I inherited when Dad died) would grab sticks, tree branches to drag, yes even kindling or firewood as big as she could get her mouth around or by end of piece to drag or carry around. If it was an emergency such as people approaching and no sticks handy, she would grab a rock to offer them to throw for her!!! In fact she took up rock carrying and other hard materials to such an extent she ground her teeth down by her later years! Our vet said that was normal for the breed!!! And that they have twice the biting crunch force of an ordinary shepherd...about 500 psi force. Luckily they are mostly playful dogs, unless of course they have to protect their owners. Angel would bounce full size basketballs off her nose playing catch with the kids on our street and was very accurate in her tossing ball back to them. She had so many toys all over the house that if a burglar ever broke into the place he'd fall and break his neck falling over all the toys and then Angel would have stood over him with a toy football in her mouth saying get up and play with me.

To the day she died at 12 1/2 she wanted to play!!! Wonderful dog, yes best one ever!!! Though you have to be careful with them as they really will play themselves to a death because their front legs don't leave enough chest room for them to breathe deeply as they play so they can drop dead playing. Also as a shepherd breed they do tend to have hip dysplasia genetic problems and by old age they tend to have severe arthritis. But in spite of all that...they are definitely worth it.

Pat

God bless everyone

im not sure if any posters are familair with sheep dog trials

were the sheperd sends his dog out to round up sheep

and each dog gets points

and the winner gets

a trophy and drunk

wel i live near one of these trial bases as they call them

and as i didnt know there were trials in progress

this dog came over the hill

[i was in my garden bendind over weeding]

and the bugger came up hehind me and lifted his leg and

peed over me

so i tried him up

the next morning one of the farmers rang lani he said

have you seen a stray dog in your area

we were trialing

and he disappeared

i told a bare faced lie

and said no

and untied the dog

who wondered home

i didnt tell him for about 14 years later

and we had a hell of a laugh

at the time he was leading on points

i will always remember that incident

marty

Edited by martymas

My big baby's name is Gypsy. She's a small 120 lbs. for a Dane. Her mom weighed 155 lbs and her daddy was bigger. They have to be the biggest, sweetest furbabies around. She loves kids and has a stuffed rabbit that is her "baby bunny". Our other dogs are not allowed to play with it if they get rough. She puts it away. Here's a pic of her and a friends lil gal.

OlivianGypsy60.jpg

I think so, Marty. I feel it's the "little guy syndrome" Like did you ever notice it's always the small, skinny guys that start fights to prove themselves? The large breeds don't feel threatened like the ankle biters. I did have a 16 pounder that would chase the bigger dogs into a corner with their tails tucked. She wouldn't take crap from anything.

• 1 month later...

Wow! Take a look at this one!Big.jpg

Hercules: The World's Biggest Dog Ever According to Guinness World Records. Hercules was recently awarded the honorable distinction of World's Biggest Dog by Guinness World Records. Hercules is an English Mastiff who has a 38-inch neck and weighs 282 pounds.

With "paws the size of softballs" (reports the Boston Herald), the

three-year-old monster is far larger and heavier than his breed's standard 200lb. limit. Hercules' owner Mr. Flynn says that Hercules weight is natural and not induced by a bizarre diet: "I fed him normal food and he just "grew". .. and grew. and grew. and grew.

Could you imagine the poor guy that would try to break into his house and ran into him in the dark?

I sure hope he's house broke :lol: Hell, I couldn't even imagine cleaning up after him outside

Mark

Funny pic, Marty. Reminds me of a NASCAR tv commercial. This guy won a contest and the prize was for him and a friend to ride along in a race car during a race. The guy's yelling what a great time he's having and the driver turns around and tells him "we could go a lot faster if you get your dog out of the window". The camera pans to this big old hound dog wearing goggles, an aviater's cap, with his tounge hanging out, blowing in the breeze. It was priceless

Mark