Given MS's habit of not completing it's products don't you think it is funny that Vista comes in a box with one rounded corner.

they cut corners on everything else now it has moved into the advertising.

The Box makes a true statement... "MS the king of cutting Corners"

Preston

Given MS's habit of not completing it's products don't you think it is funny that Vista comes in a box with one rounded corner.

they cut corners on everything else now it has moved into the advertising.

The Box makes a true statement... "MS the king of cutting Corners"

Preston

I'm a long time Linux user, but, I must say that Microsoft has its strong points.

XP Pro identifies, mounts devices better than my favourite OS, Slackware. :D I've bashed MS in the past, but, I think it can be argued that there are good things about all OSs. MS is a favourite of many posters here at Besttechie.net. :D

I would guess that had Microsoft never come along, most of the bashers would still be in their rooms with a box of Kleenex. I'm still waiting for them to write the bizillion lines of code required for an OS and launch it, problem free and hacker proof.

Rant over...... Carry on.

Edited by sethook

Windows Vista isn't a bad OS at all. In fact it's a great step forward for Microsoft. It offers many new features and improvements as well, not just a GUI makeover. If you're interested in reading a review; I wrote one myself on Vista:

http://www.besttechie.net/2007/02/06/windo...ltimate-review/

Btw Microsoft is working on their next OS as we speak which seems to be planned to come out in '09 I believe. The codename is Vienna.

It's things like this, why I'm getting disappointed with M$

" I tried to play Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot CD. Whoops! Not a single sound emerged from my speakers. After a little investigation, I found that Vista disables media outputs that don't incorporate DRM, when you try to play DRM protected media through them. That was a kick in the head. I have a fully legal CD in my hand. Any other version of Windows will play it, Linux will play it, Mac OS will play it, and my CD player will play it, but if you're using S/PDIF for your computer-driven audio and Vista, you're out of luck."

Desktop Linux article

Mark

My comment was not to slight M$ it was just a funny observation about the box considering what usually happens when M$ releases an OS. It was ment to be funny.

Preston

" I tried to play Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot CD. Whoops! Not a single sound emerged from my speakers. After a little investigation, I found that Vista disables media outputs that don't incorporate DRM, when you try to play DRM protected media through them.

According to MS, that's not true. Vista will disable S/PDIF if the content protection requests it, but not on its own initiative. WinME and XP are supposed to have the same feature.

Edited by jcl
... don't you think it is funny that Vista comes in a box with one rounded corner.

They cut corners on everything else now it has moved into the advertising. ...

Hoo-boy! It's official I guess, they cut corners. It's right there on the box!

I would guess that had Microsoft never come along, most of the bashers would still be in their rooms with a box of Kleenex. I'm still waiting for them to write the bizillion lines of code required for an OS and launch it, problem free and hacker proof.

Rant over...... Carry on.

I happen to agree with you ... It's human nature to pick on the big guy (guess we inherited that from our ape ancestors, "testing" the dominant ape, poking at him to find the weaknesses -- not a behavior I'd be proud to display in public -- but then I'm not one to brawl in bars either).

------

[thumps chest] "Hoo-hoo! Ha! Ha! Vista sucks! Ree! Ree! Ree! Ree!" [/thumps chest]

:D

Edited by JDoors

this discussion has been going on for years

preston should no we had it techtv

what puzzles me is we have these patchs from micro soft

and all hell breaks loose from the windows anti lobby

more so with the browsers

but mozills firefox linux have the same problems

and call them versions

what are the difference

ive just installed linux and ive

found more bloody bugs than

a bloody rose garden

it wont handle 64bit from a windows platform

ive just tried to install thunderbird inside the linux platform

and cant were as i could do it in windows

there is good and bad in all platforms

or browsers

firefox is an overated browser

what can it do that i cant do in ie

it isnt the application it is the applicator that is at fault

tho ive had troubles with this new sys

im still prepared to perservere

and get it right.

marty

Edited by martymas

Microsoft has been around how long now? Must be doing something right or I should say other OS's are just not working for the general public. Apple has what percent? Linux has what percent? Do other OS's run all the software on the shelf at the stores? Until the other OS's get with it, everyone will stick with MS. Nag nag nag and it's still the same. MS or M$ is always going to be M$. I which I had the money Gates has. And so does Apple and Linux.

Just to let some of you know..

Vista has a compatability wizard. You can choose to install programs under XP or older OS's. If it wont run normally under Vista, run the compatibility wizard and install under the XP compatibility mode.

Fixed some things for me to get them working.

See my post "Vista's Compatibility Wizard"

my brother-in-law tried to install vista on his laptop....no go.

seems toshiba doesn't have al the required mb drivers and/or we couldn't find them.

well it worked somewhat...can't remember what the problem was.

anyway he tried to go back to xp...nada...nien...nil....gonna have to format and reinstall xp.

seems toshiba doesn't have al the required mb drivers and/or we couldn't find them.

anyway he tried to go back to xp...nada...nien...nil....gonna have to format and reinstall xp.

Hey bearskin,

Do you know what model toshiba your brother-in-law has? I was able to install Vista on my toshiba laptop with no problems here. So I'd be curious to know. B)

B

Hey bearskin,

Do you know what model toshiba your brother-in-law has? I was able to install Vista on my toshiba laptop with no problems here. So I'd be curious to know. B)

B

when I talk to him again I will find out all the info....he just asked me to try and find vista mb drivers...didn't tell me exactly what the problem was.