Open Wireless Home Networks.

Just starting this thread to discuss to have an open wireless home network or should it be secured?

Lets here from all. Statements and questions. We will all try to at least agree to disagree, and maybe help someone out in the process.

Set.......

GO.............

I feel the question is somewhat pointless. Of course you should secure your wireless network else you risk sharing your private data with the world along with risking your own ISP subscription by allowing activities to be carried out through your connection which may be against your ISPs policy, i.e. DDOS drones and the such-like.

~Phil~

Normal users should always secure their wireless connection. Advanced users such as CataclysmCow who know what they're doing security wise might open their wireless connection for others to use.

People wardriving should be wary connecting to free access points due to some unscrupulous individuals laying in wait who are capable of accessing your computer when you connect.

I think it depends on where you live. I personally have mine secure and set the range to half power so the signal doesn't reach to much past my front door.

My neighbors wi/fi covers most of my back yard and running unsecured. I told him about he said he didn't care. So in this case I'm all for it.

while People should secure their Networks (Wired or Wirless) most do not know how or think it already is.

by Contract with Most cable and telephone companies you are required to, that and Federal Law prohibits you from sharing your services with others.

so your cable or DSL provider should be required to help you secure your wireless or provide common carrier service placing access points for people who pay for internet but are not at home to be able t get to it with out additional fees.

this topic sprang from "is it a law violation to Wardrive", well in California YES it is and the law is waiting for vote in 5 other sates. as for the rest NO, its the Owners responsibility to secure their internet, and any unencrypted RF is covered by the FCC who states its fair game.

but there is a warning TheTerrorist_75 brought up, honypots.. they can hurt

I think it depends on where you live.

I live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a few old people and lots of sheep. There's little chance that anyone would have the hardware to connect to my network let alone abuse it however I still secure it in the best way I can, (WPA + MAC Address Filtering + Hidden SID). I realise WPA2 is clearly a better encryption system but until N is released as a real standard I'll wait to upgrade my hardware.

~Phil~

I think it depends on where you live.

I l I still secure it in the best way I can, (WPA + MAC Address Filtering + Hidden SID).

If the sheep could possibly crack your WPA, then getting past MAC filter and trying to hide SID will only slow them down by a minute.