• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my buggy freebsd 6.0RC1 install:

desk7gk.th.png

Perhaps one of these days I'll get around to actually fixing it, but it's running fine as it is.

As for the sparseness, I'm a traditional unix kinda man, small tools that I can pipe together, and only use what I need when I need it. ROX-Filer handles my spatial file management and type association needs while windowmaker handles all my windows, and I can say I've never desired anything more. ;)

As for my netbsd 3 install, it is virtually identical (I symlinked home to this drive), except with a quarter of the dock actually launching anything and twice the building tools.

And before I forget, the obligatory 'source city' screenshot:

bsd2xw.th.png

Perhaps one of these days I'll get around to actually fixing it, but it's running fine as it is.

As for the sparseness, I'm a traditional unix kinda man, small tools that I can pipe together, and only use what I need when I need it. ROX-Filer handles my spatial file management and type association needs while windowmaker handles all my windows, and I can say I've never desired anything more. ;)

As for my netbsd 3 install, it is virtually identical (I symlinked home to this drive), except with a quarter of the dock actually launching anything and twice the building tools.

It's nice to see a fellow BSD user on here. Question though, why you still using an old RC1 install?

Edited by Carnevil

Cool stuff, Helio!! :thumbsup: Welcome to our Linux forums!! :D

Debian Etch Linux, KDE 3.5.1. If you are an Ubuntu fan you may wish to check it out, it has Synaptic, apt-get, and a zillion programs in the on-line repositories.

heh, yes I may ;)

Deb Etch running KDE 3.5 on a toshiba notebook....The problem that I've had with Debian all along is their slow release cycle and not having current versions in the repos, this is where Ubuntu won me over...Debian is for someone that doesn't want things to "just work" (touchpad took some work as well as my wireless card but do-able) and it dares you to break it by adding unstable to your sources.list to get up to date software (jeesh, have to add sid to get firefox 1.5...something wrong with that!!!...lol)

snapshot-debian1.png

Edited by tictoc5150

Just haven't had time to fix it or reinstall :)

I make release'd iso images from a bad cvs checkout, so libc has some serious bugs. Mainly segfaults in str* functions, which throws up awk during a buildworld. Plus the x server was built for 5.4, so is forced to use the 6.0 vesa ko. It's actually running quite well considering how bad off it is, and I'm curious as to how long I can run it 'broken' before any serious stability issues arise ;)

heh, yes I may ;)

Deb Etch running KDE 3.5 on a toshiba notebook....The problem that I've had with Debian all along is their slow release cycle and not having current versions in the repos, this is where Ubuntu won me over...Debian is for someone that doesn't want things to "just work" (touchpad took some work as well as my wireless card but do-able) and it dares you to break it by adding unstable to your sources.list to get up to date software (jeesh, have to add sid to get firefox 1.5...something wrong with that!!!...lol)

Cool, very nice t0c!

So far I haven't had any issues with Etch. I've read that they're going to be releasing the next stable release before the end of 06, people got very angry with them taking three years to release sarge.

Like you I tend to use a more experimental version although I haven't tried sid yet:-) Interesting to note that their versions of software, take Fire Fox 1.0.7 on Etch, do have the latest security fixes built into them even though the number is lower (ie, it isn't 1.5).

So far I like Debian. I've run sarge before, but, like this better. :D

Like you I tend to use a more experimental version although I haven't tried sid yet:-) Interesting to note that their versions of software, take Fire Fox 1.0.7 on Etch, do have the latest security fixes built into them even though the number is lower (ie, it isn't 1.5).

So far I like Debian. I've run sarge before, but, like this better. :D

I'm all for using the current stable version of whatever distro but when the repos can't provide me with what I need, I'm not opposed to adding a little risk with an unstable repo.

But as for the firefox issue, that's fine if they've applied the security fixes but since alot of the themes and extensions require later builds, I had no choice but to get 1.5

I'm all for using the current stable version of whatever distro but when the repos can't provide me with what I need, I'm not opposed to adding a little risk with an unstable repo.

But as for the firefox issue, that's fine if they've applied the security fixes but since alot of the themes and extensions require later builds, I had no choice but to get 1.5

I'm actually not using the current stable version of Debian (sarge), but, Etch which is the testing branch. So far I've found it to be very stable and haven't encountered any bugs yet. Etch is quite modern, it is using the 2.6.15 kernel and KDE 3.5.1.

But, yeah Fire Fox 1.0.7 won't have all of the bells and whistles that 1.5 has.

Have you encountered any bugs in the apps from the SID repos, t0c?

If SID is okay I'll upgrade to the unstable branch in awhile. :D

If Etch is meeting your needs, I'd hold off a while...I was only using a few apps from the Sid repo when I decided to go all out by changing all Etch repos to Sid and doing an apt-get dist-upgrade. Well, after about 20 minutes all seemed upgraded...then after about an hour of fixing X, then fixing a missing font issue (apparently the font used for everything in gnome...lol), I was back to a working system.

All seems to be ok...but I'd definitely not be using this on my main system or any system with vital data on. ;)

anyway, here it is all upgraded and a rarity for me--> Gnome 2.12 with stock wallpaper :blink:

deb-gnome-ss1.jpg

I'm actually not using the current stable version of Debian (sarge), but, Etch which is the testing branch. So far I've found it to be very stable and haven't encountered any bugs yet. Etch is quite modern, it is using the 2.6.15 kernel and KDE 3.5.1.

But, yeah Fire Fox 1.0.7 won't have all of the bells and whistles that 1.5 has.

if it is 1.5 but listed as 1.07 then you can change the useragent in ff to 1.5

Browse to about:config

Change the "general.useragent.vendorSub" value to "1.5.01"

although, since i don't use Debian, i'm not sure if that is how they have it set up. I know this was how we took care of a similar issue in ubuntu, it was listed 1.0.2 when it was actually 1.0.4 and we couldn't get any of the extensions or themes.

hth

although, since i don't use Debian, i'm not sure if that is how they have it set up. I know this was how we took care of a similar issue in ubuntu, it was listed 1.0.2 when it was actually 1.0.4 and we couldn't get any of the extensions or themes.

hth

I remember having to use that temporary fix but couldn't think of the preference name, thanks for posting it...Not that it matters for my instance now anyway but a good reminder for future reference.

Odd that I hadn't noticed that FF in Ubuntu was still at 1.0.7...I better not go looking for any new extensions. ;)

that was the status in Hoary, it was listed as 1.0.2 with all the fixes that actually made it 1.0.4

so in order to get the extensions and themes to download we had to modify that one string. In Breezy it is 1.0.7 with the fixes up to that point. they have taken FF and done the same thing that Windows did with IE and the OS. if you want 1.5.01 on breezy you have to install it from source or using Advantix. then you have to link everything to it. you cannot just remove ff 1.0.7 from Ubuntu since it is integrated into the OS.

that was the status in Hoary, it was listed as 1.0.2 with all the fixes that actually made it 1.0.4

so in order to get the extensions and themes to download we had to modify that one string. In Breezy it is 1.0.7 with the fixes up to that point. they have taken FF and done the same thing that Windows did with IE and the OS. if you want 1.5.01 on breezy you have to install it from source or using Advantix. then you have to link everything to it. you cannot just remove ff 1.0.7 from Ubuntu since it is integrated into the OS.

How is firefox integrated?

here is the list of things that Ubuntu has integrated FF into that needs to be completely rebuilt.

Final list of source package depending on Firefox:
  • bookmarkbridge
    checky
    ctxextensions
    devhelp
    dhelp
    diggler
    djvulibre
    dpkg-www
    endeavour
    epiphany-browser
    epydoc
    firefox
    flashplugin-nonfree
    galeon
    gecko-sharp
    gecko-sharp2
    gnome-app-install
    j2se1.4-amd64
    j2se1.4-i586
    librsvg2
    liferea
    livehttpheaders
    meta-j2re1.4-mozilla
    mozilla-bonobo
    mozilla-firefox-locale-all
    mozilla-firefox-locale-ar
    mozilla-firefox-locale-ca
    mozilla-firefox-locale-el
    mozilla-firefox-locale-eu
    mozilla-firefox-locale-it
    mozilla-firefox-locale-ja
    mozilla-firefox-locale-ko
    mozilla-firefox-locale-nb
    mozilla-firefox-locale-tr
    mozilla-firefox-locale-uk
    mozilla-mozgest
    mozilla-stumbleupon
    mozilla-thunderbird
    mozplugger
    mplayerplug-in
    nip2
    ukeimage
    nvu
    openoffice.org2
    openoffice.org2-amd64
    tabextensions
    venkman
    vlc
    wysihtml
    xfig
    yelp

51 source packages in total.

Most likely all of these need to be rebuilt to say the least, if they're compatible with 1.5 at the source level at all... I'm hoping people are seeing why backporting Firefox 1.5 is going to be such a major job

This will be included straight up in Dapper when it is released in June. they had to push it back 6 weeks.

hth

If Etch is meeting your needs, I'd hold off a while...I was only using a few apps from the Sid repo when I decided to go all out by changing all Etch repos to Sid and doing an apt-get dist-upgrade. Well, after about 20 minutes all seemed upgraded...then after about an hour of fixing X, then fixing a missing font issue (apparently the font used for everything in gnome...lol), I was back to a working system.

All seems to be ok...but I'd definitely not be using this on my main system or any system with vital data on. ;)

anyway, here it is all upgraded and a rarity for me--> Gnome 2.12 with stock wallpaper :blink:

deb-gnome-ss1.jpg

Thanks, t0c!! I'll hold off a bit, Etch is meeting my needs right now, no glitches to speak of! :D

hth

Hey Dragon, thanks for the post man! I will look into this, I'm not sure if FF 1.0.7 is actually 1.5 or if they've put in some of the security fixes. In an earlier version of Debian (sarge) I asked the question why are the FF versions lagging behind what is currently released (I asked this on the debian boards) and was assured that even though the current version of FF in debian was 1.0.4 it had the security fixes of 1.0.7 in place. So, I'm assuming that Etch's version of 1.0.7 has some current security fixes in place.

if it 1.0.7 then you have the current fixes for that configuration. Mozilla is running two different versions of FF right now, 1.0.7 soon to be updated to 1.0.8 and 1.5.01 so make sure you know exactly what version of FF your using.

Sorry to have taken this off topic

if it 1.0.7 then you have the current fixes for that configuration. Mozilla is running two different versions of FF right now, 1.0.7 soon to be updated to 1.0.8 and 1.5.01 so make sure you know exactly what version of FF your using.

Sorry to have taken this off topic

Hey Dragon, yep I'm running FF 1.0.7 so I should have the current fixes for that. Yes, I'm sure it is 1.0.7 as it doesn't have the features that I've seen in FF 1.5.0.1 on my Slackware box.

No need to apologize, I've enjoyed this thread. :D

Here's a shot of Debian Etch again, KDE 3.5.1 and some tunes:-)

snapshot142.jpg

here is the list of things that Ubuntu has integrated FF into that needs to be completely rebuilt.

That looks like a list of every package with a depend (upstream or in Ubuntu) on Firefox or a component of the Firefox project. Several are independent projects that (should) handle the depend upstream (e.g. epiphany, galeon, gecko-sharp, thunderbird, I think nvu). About 20 of them are Firefox components, plugins, or extensions. A few of them don't even seem to depend on Firefox (e.g. epydoc, dpkg-www) or only have depends on older versions (e.g. libsvg2, I think).

The problem is that Firefox isn't integrated into Ubuntu the way IE is integrated in Windows. Half of the Ubuntu packages that depend on Firefox don't actually depend on Firefox: they depend on some component of Firefox (e.g. Gecko) or need to interface with Firefox. The upgrade would be simpler Firefox was componentized like IE and the components were individually packaged and upgradable with support for parallel deployment of different versions. Instead we get dependency hell. (That might change if XULRunner works out and Firefox transitions from a standalone app to an extension. Or XULRunner might become another depend hell. History suggests the latter.)

God I hate Linux sometimes. Apple and Microsoft solved this problem years ago. Even NetBSD and Dragonfly have partial solutions.

God I hate Linux sometimes. Apple and Microsoft solved this problem years ago. Even NetBSD and Dragonfly have partial solutions.

Dependency hell is one of many reasons I've stopped for the most part using rpm based distros. My server runs Mandriva, it works okay.

The good people at Debian have worked very hard to ensure that Debian packages that are installed, upgraded will not boink your system, I haven't encountered as many weird things as when I ran Fedora........things seem fairly stable in sarge and Etch anyway.

Etch seems to suck much less than other distros I've run. :D

The good people at Debian have worked very hard to ensure that Debian packages that are installed, upgraded will not boink your system, I haven't encountered as many weird things as when I ran Fedora........things seem fairly stable in sarge and Etch anyway.

Heh. The first time I upgraded from Debian stable to testing the upgrade munged my package database. Took me a solid half day of work to rebuild the system. It did work well after it was fixed though.