• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How dare you run Gnome Hitest, don't you know the father of Linux hates gnome. He said it was created my interface nazi's.

LOL :lol:

Yeah, I read Linus's quote, he just says what he thinks, I like that about him. KDE is actually a favourite of mine, but, on my Apache server the video card doesn't play well with KDE, so I use Gnome. Whatever works. :D

My neighbor put a P4 1.8 in her trash yesterday said she couldn't get it to boot and if it did it would freeze up after a few minutes(win ME). She came home with a 20" G5 imac. Well I took her P4 and installed ark linux and here the screenshot.

arkdesk1.jpg

Yea...ark isn't one of the most popular, I tried it about a year ago and really liked it. Then after a kernel update I couldn't get it to work so I was using ubuntu "still am at work". But the newest version of ark is working like a dream. I would definitely recommend it to first time users it's pretty much geared to someone who needs some hand holding.

Yea...ark isn't one of the most popular, I tried it about a year ago and really liked it. Then after a kernel update I couldn't get it to work so I was using ubuntu "still am at work". But the newest version of ark is working like a dream. I would definitely recommend it to first time users it's pretty much geared to someone who needs some hand holding.

Yeah, I also like Ubuntu, I use it on my main work station.

So what is Ark like? Is it rpm based? Just curious:-) Do you have a website link for this distro? :D

She tossed out a P4? What was she thinking. I wish I had more old PC's so I could get things running like a FTP and HTTP and even a mail server.

After she tossed it in the trash I asked if she wanted me to try to get it running and she said something about her blood pressure and where Bill Gates could put his windows. So I just shut up and took the box home.

And hitest, I am very happy with ark so far everything just kind of worked after the install the only thing that I needed to install was flashplayer that I had to apt-get. It's still a beta but I would still recommend it to newbies with a fairly new machine. I don't think hardcore linux users would think much of it, it's to pretty and does most of the work for you through simple gui wizards.

I have been using the default grey background for a long time, but I found some wall paper I liked. below is my linux system running gnome

Hey shanenin, nice screenshot. I like the desktop on your Gentoo system! :thumbsup:

After she tossed it in the trash I asked if she wanted me to try to get it running and she said something about her blood pressure and where Bill Gates could put his windows. So I just shut up and took the box home.

And hitest, I am very happy with ark so far everything just kind of worked after the install the only thing that I needed to install was flashplayer that I had to apt-get. It's still a beta but I would still recommend it to newbies with a fairly new machine. I don't think hardcore linux users would think much of it, it's to pretty and does most of the work for you through simple gui wizards.

Hi isteve,

I'm glad Ark is working for you, it looks like the distro is well laid out, the control panel in KDE looks good. It sounds like Ark has exceptional hardware detection. :thumbsup: