Post Your Linux Screen Shot

I chose no to ipv6, then yes to dhcp. If I remeber corectly you have a router that acts as a dhcp server, if so you want to choose yes to "Do you want to try DHCP configuration of the interface?"

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I chose no to ipv6, then yes to dhcp. If I remeber corectly you have a router that acts as a dhcp server, if so you want to choose yes to "Do you want to try DHCP configuration of the interface?"

aaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh

Thanks, man!

Yes, I do have a router that acts as a dhcp server. I probably said yes to the first question. That explains it! I didn't understand what the first question was asking me.

Did you have to go into the sysinstall options and toggle the dhcp settings at all?

Cool. I can take another shot at bsd.

The first time I went thru the install I chose yes to ipv6 support(I to did not understand the question). If you choose that it does not offer to set up using DHCP. My understanding that ipv6 support is new and not fully implemnted yet.

The first time I went thru the install I chose yes to ipv6 support(I to did not understand the question). If you choose that it does not offer to set up using DHCP. My understanding that ipv6 support is new and not fully implemnted yet.

Exactly. If I said yes, which I think I did then I would have by-passed the dhcp set-up.

Thanks for the help.

That part of the install was always bugging me:-)

ok ipv4 is what you are probaly are using now (4 octects ip address something like 192.168.1.1)

each number before a period is called an octect as its is made up of 8 binary numbers. like 255 is bainary 11111111 and 128 is 10000000 ... IPV6 is going to add 2 more octects to make the address look like this ... 192.168.1.1.1 this way they will have more address. IPV6 already has the option of IPV4 over IPV6 which will make your current address of 192.168.1.1 look like this on a IPV6 192.168.1.1.0.0 so it will still work.

for BSD:

I would like to use dummynet as it isa network flow controller like nistnet is for linux. but nistnet requires an old kernel and at least a 200 mhz machine.. my router boards have 133 mhz 486 level processers ... so I need all the power BSD gives to older equipment.

what we do with it is test systems as if they are going to be put on slow links like satellite that can have up to 150 ms delay between each hope. With this box we can test how VoIP or video will act over the links.

here are the boards..

http://www.soekris.com/net4501.htm

ok ipv4 is what you are probaly are using now (4 octects ip address something like 192.168.1.1)

each number before a period is called an octect as its is made up of 8 binary numbers. like 255 is bainary 11111111 and 128 is 10000000 ... IPV6 is going to add 2 more octects to make the address look like this ... 192.168.1.1.1 this way they will have more address. IPV6 already has the option of IPV4 over IPV6 which will make your current address of 192.168.1.1 look like this on a IPV6 192.168.1.1.0.0 so it will still work.

for BSD:

I would like to use dummynet as it isa network flow controller like nistnet is for linux. but nistnet requires an old kernel and at least a 200 mhz machine.. my router boards have 133 mhz 486 level processers ... so I need all the power BSD gives to older equipment.

what we do with it is test systems as if they are going to be put on slow links like satellite that can have up to 150 ms delay between each hope. With this box we can test how VoIP or video will act over the links.

here are the boards..

http://www.soekris.com/net4501.htm

Very cool, iccaros. Thanks for the explanation.

So if I'm understanding you if I say no to IPv6 and then yes to dhcp my networking should be okay? That's assuming my realtek NIC is recognized.

Now I'll be able to properly use your BSD CD :D

• 1 month later...

Iccaros-linux

snapshot2.jpg

Edited by iccaros

ok what do I need to do to get this to post an image?/

its solaris 10 not linux but I like the new Jave desktop (aka GNOME with java)

solaris10.png

I know that picture from somewhere??

:D

• 1 month later...
here's mine, Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary running Gnome. definately cleaner then Windows IMO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just downloaded, intalled Fedora Core 4 last night on my test machine. Very nice, stable distro. It comes pre-loaded with Fire Fox 1.0.4, Open Office 2.0, Gimp2.2. You might want to try it out. I downloaded it from Fedora, their download site is very fast.

Edit: Added later- Fedora has one feature that is excellent. Fedora has a built-in media check. That is, when you boot the anaconda install routine it allows you to run a check on all of your install CDs to make sure they all work. You can also of course check your MD5SUMS.

Download Fedora Core 4

snapshot5.jpg

Edited by hitest

This is the sickest thing I've ever done to a linux machine...note the browser :blink:

As for the system, it's Ubuntu Hoary, running KDE 3.4...also using crossover office for PS7 and IE (IE = work related only...it's not like I like it or something!!!)

snapshot15.jpg

This is the sickest thing I've ever done to a linux machine...note the browser  :blink:

As for the system, it's Ubuntu Hoary, running KDE 3.4...also using crossover office for PS7 and IE (IE = work related only...it's not like I like it or something!!!)

snapshot15.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh-heh, that is indeed disturbing! IE sucks as a browser!

Unfortunately I have to do the same thing at home on one of my three PCs. I need to have one windows box at home because of work related software. Thankfully my other two PCs are Linux only.