Flash Player 9 Released

It has an install script now.

holy crap, the installer is over 700 lines. The funny thing is, you still have to tell the installer where to install it. I expected that huge bash script to automatically do it for me .

what does the flashplayer.xpt file do? I deleted it, it does not seem to do anything.

I found it works well just to copy libflashplayer.so to your ~/.mozilla/plugins directory. This allows flash to work with either firefox or mozilla

This method worked for me. Make sure you run this is a regular user, not root. If you run it as root, it will get copied to the wrong directory. Enter these three commands in your shell

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
tar -xf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
cp install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins

Edited by shanenin
It has an install script now.

holy crap, the installer is over 700 lines. The funny thing is, you still have to tell the installer where to install it. I expected that huge bash script to automatically do it for me .

what does the flashplayer.xpt file do? I deleted it, it does not seem to do anything.

I found it works well just to copy libflashplayer.so to your ~/.mozilla/plugins directory. This allows flash to work with either firefox or mozilla

This method worked for me. Make sure you run this is a regular user, not root. If you run it as root, it will get copied to the wrong directory. Enter these three commands in your shell

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
tar -xf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
cp install_flash_player_9_linux/libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins

the install script is for all the people who wine about things not installing like windows programs..

Odd. When I installed it, it correctly guessed the location (~/.mozilla/plugins) and just asked me to confirm.

AFAICT it doesn't do anything. I think it should be the library that exposes Flash for scripting in Mozilla.

My main point was the install script does not work with out the user knowing the location of your mozilla installation. Most novice users run the script, then are hit with the question, "please enter the directory of your mozilla installation". I did not even know. I had to take the time and look around for it. I guess I used a whereis command. If they are going to make an install script, it should do the installation without needing specific info like that from the user.

Odd. When I installed it, it correctly guessed the location (~/.mozilla/plugins) and just asked me to confirm.

I know why it did not work as expected for me. I assumed the script needed to write to the /usr directory, so I ran it as root. I just tried it again as regular user, then it did guess properly :blush:

My main point was the install script does not work with out the user knowing the location of your mozilla installation.Most novice users run the script, then are hit with the question, "please enter the directory of your mozilla installation".

The install script found my installation directory automatically. The only questions I got were a yes/no/quit to confirm the installation and yes/no asking if I wanted to perform another installation.

Oh, wait, do you mean the root install? Now that I look at it, it detected the right directory but it did ask me to confirm it.

[Edit: Needless to say, I wrote this before your last post ;)]

Edited by jcl