hi team i wonder if any one can help.

this morning i had a 20geg hdd cleaned and i intended to install

mandrake 10.

which would have been on a p2 .

hoe ever the guy who cleaned the drive said mandrake 10 would wouldnt be comfortable on a p2 .

and he said take this disk and try it out

it is much similiar to xp

it is called LYCOMS

has any one heard of it before it is new to me.

sounds as tho it is a product of LYCOS

if it is there will be plenty of spyware .

i have a spare 4.5 geghdd here i might try it on that.

any one heard of this LYCOMS

MARTY

hi jcl

yes i think your right he knew i was interested in a linux product and he gave it to me to try .he said it would fit on a p2 .

strangly i googled it but i googled lycom

that is why it wasnt picked up

thanks for that ile try it out and ile send reports back to the board .

may be some one else would be interested.

a friend wanted me to try ubundu.

which is a linux product .

but i cant find any reference to it on the net .

he said to try the local linux clubs in my area and make in quireys.

how ever thanks for that

marty

yes i think your right he knew i was interested in a linux product and he gave it to me to try .he said it would fit on a p2 .

Hmm. AFAICT it's not really all that different from Mandrake. The parts of Mandrake that would give you grief on that hardware (e.g., KDE) are all there. But I don't know much about it.

a friend wanted me to try ubundu.

which is a linux product .

but i cant find any reference to it on the net .

Ask and you shall receive. It probably wouldn't be any better than Mandrake either. Maybe a bit worse.

for a P2 your best bet is probaly slackware, gentoo or LFS but non are "easy" to install in a windows way. but all are easy to upkeep.

took me 18 hours on my amdk6 300 mhz with 128 megs ram...

slackware is really easy .though, put in the disk and say install all, then pick the kernel it has highlighted and yoru good to go.. the hardest part is making and formatting partitions, slackware is missing any of the partitioning stuff

hi team seems im not doing some thing right .

ive installed this icoris five times and i cant get it to boot up on my hdd

i am abl eto delete the partition each time but i need it to boot up.

ive made a boot floppy which the sys asks you to do.at the end of the install and configuration it says click finish boot to your hard drive but it dosent do that it goes back to the instalation from the cd.

after i install from the cd do i need to go to the bios and change the sequence .

to boot to my hdd.

this lycoris is quite a tidy little packet.

but like all linux products it is a little hard to figure out unless you are an linux guru

which i aint.

im not all that shook on win but it is easier to navigate .

and is probably why a lot of people dont like trying something else.

how ever i aim to stick at it.

so any advice would be welcome.

marty

I'll try it in vmware tonight to see what I can about its install process.

thanks iccaros.

i appreciate that .

i have six ubuntu disks ariving next week.a friend put me on to them to give away to any one who wants to try linux.

but i need to get to grips with this lycoris first.i like the desk top.

features.

and it is a compact and tidy OS.

ive been to the website and i cant find any installing info.

so to some one like your self it would be an advantage for any of us who wanted to try it to know how to install it

again thanks

marty

can you point me to where you got a donwload with out paying for it? thanks

ive made a boot floppy which the sys asks you to do.at the end of the install and configuration it says click finish boot to your hard drive but it dosent do that it goes back to the instalation from the cd.

after i install from the cd do i need to go to the bios and change the sequence .

to boot to my hdd.

Hi Marty,

If I'm understanding you right, it sounds like you just need to take the CD out, make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the floppy drive before the HD and put the boot floppy in, then restart....sorry if I'm misunderstanding the problem

hey icarros,

hitest's link gives a no such file error....after diggin' around a couple message boards I found this link for the 45 day evaluation.....think that's the best you're gonna find....linux not free?...UGH!

hi team this is an email i got from a rep from the modem company that configured my modem .on mandrake 9.1 .

he obviously has tried lycoris so it makes interesting reading.

Hi Marty,

I have tried lycoris and yes it is a bit too much like windows for my

liking. The main thing i didn't like about it is that they charge you

for additional software and updates etc and for help with it.

I am not sure which boot loader it uses but you shouldn't need a boot

disk to start linux you should get a boot menu at startup which lycoris'

installation will have setup for you, most linux distros ask you about

this during installation, didn't lycoris ask you about a boot loader? Do

you get a menu at startup? Or an error message?

ross

to boot to my hdd.

Hi Marty,

If I'm understanding you right, it sounds like you just need to take the CD out, make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the floppy drive before the HD and put the boot floppy in, then restart....sorry if I'm misunderstanding the problem

hey icarros,

hitest's link gives a no such file error....after diggin' around a couple message boards I found this link for the 45 day evaluation.....think that's the best you're gonna find....linux not free?...UGH!

tictoc

you could be right i will try your suggestion tho i may not stay with it if you read the email i posted from some one who has used it.but i will try your fix thanks

marty

Thanks tictoc5150,

tictoc5150

I'm trying to get it now, also I not blowing you off (tictoc51500 about the Cd I have finals at school and I have so much fixing from hitest adn other suggestions that I decided to setup a ftp server (really a sftp) and I'll send you a ipaddress and a key to put in your /home/user/.ssh folder to let you login. I have to finish these test and then test the server /firewall setting and then you'll havve access and add changes to any art if you like.

I can't get the link to download, I woudl recomend staying away from any "linux" distrobution that only has a pay version. first almost all linux distro have the same software and all linux distros have the same ability to run the same equipment. what right do they have in making it pay only when they did noting but put some software together that is free and come up with artwork.. they are not "open source" they are propitary in there ethics, and unless its the only choice for the job pick open.

examples of how this could be done.

red hat has fedora it gives away and if you need a enterprise level adn can not afford Red Hat you have Whitebox that Red Hats help but does not support.

mandrake has the community version that is free.

Codeweavers makes crossover office for sale only but are the same developers who put everything back into the wine project for free

transgamming has cedega (wineX) that run MS 3D games like War craft and Halflife 2. this is for sale because some of the encryption codes they have to pay for to dedcrypt the windows copy protection. but they have the CVS version for free (but you have to find the encryption stuff, its on the web and most games really do not use it )

I would stayaway from Lindows or what ever they are called now, they return nothing to the opensource community.

and I would stay away from Lycrois as I can not find one return to the community.

neither company has contributed one line of code back to the developers.. they just take form others. Plus Lycrois is made by a X MS manager. maby he's still in MS mode.

sorry marty I can't help much more butI wil look into the other distro you named. I get the feeling its your windmodem you have problems with most, what brand is it? intel has now posted driver for linux for all their winmodem.

if its a intel chipset that may help.

I can't get the link to download, I woudl recomend staying away from any "linux" distrobution that only has a pay version. first almost all linux distro have the same software and all linux distros have the same ability to run the same equipment. what right do they have in making it pay only when they did noting but put some software together that is free and come up with artwork.. they are not "open source" they are propitary in there ethics, and unless its the only choice for the job pick open.

red hat has fedora it gives away and if you need a enterprise level adn can not afford Red Hat you have Whitebox that Red Hats help but does not support.

Codeweavers makes crossover office for sale only but are the same developers who put everything back into the wine project for free

transgamming has cedega (wineX) that run MS 3D games like War craft and Halflife 2. this is for sale because some of the encryption codes they have to pay for to dedcrypt the windows copy protection. but they have the CVS version for free (but you have to find the encryption stuff, its on the web and most games really do not use it )

I would stayaway from Lindows or what ever they are called now, they return nothing to the opensource community.

and I would stay away from Lycrois as I can not find one return to the community.

neither company has contributed one line of code back to the developers.. they just take form others. Plus Lycrois is made by a X MS manager. maby he's still in MS mode.

sorry marty I can't help much more butI wil look into the other distro you named. I get the feeling its your windmodem you have problems with most, what brand is it? intel has now posted driver for linux for all their winmodem.

I agree, iccaros. I don't like linux versions that're pay for view. I stay away from linspire, lycoris, and xandros.

I like versions you can freely download.

AFAIK Lindows provides financial support to various projects. I've seen WINE, Mozilla, and Reiser4 mentioned specifically.

Ah, here.

hi iccaros

when i bought the modem i made sure it was linux compatable.and it says on the label.

when i had mandrake on a dual boot with winxp

the modem was working fine but i elected to put those mandrake and xp on different compts as stand alone.

and couldnt configure that modem into mandrake.

the person who emailed me about lycoris and said leave it alone.

is the rep for linux drivers for 536ep modems.

but he was trying to help by email and im not that compt literate to be able to do it by email.

so he suggested i try ubuntu.which will fit on a p2 .

instead of mandrake 10 .which would be a tight fit.

i belong to a linux club in my country which,

suggested i try this ubuntu so they are sending me 6 disks.

and i understand it is free .

ive been to the web site and they quote the OS FREE.

how much more upgrade would i need to put mandrake 10 on the p2

my specs are.

20geghdd

350 cpu -500 megs ram

isa sound card

the power pack is ok as it is the same one i had before .

genuis video card.

56 speed cdrom .

looks like the cpu could be taken up a bit more.

intel 536ep modem.

have i missed any thing

marty

Hi martymas,

Here are the required specs for Mandrake 10 taken from mandrake.com

Processor: an x586-class or above processor is required. This includes Intel Pentium I/II/III/IV/Celeron, AMD K6/II/III, AMD Duron, AMD Athlon/XP/MP. Hyper-Threading is supported. SMP multi-processor machines are supported. (*)

Memory: at least 64 MB is required (32 MB for text-install); 128 MB or more is recommended.

Hard disks: IDE, SCSI and S-ATA hard disks are supported.

Hard disk size: At least 500MB is required, 1GB is recommended. Large capacity drives are supported (up to 250GB).

SCSI controllers: most SCSI controllers are supported (Adaptec, Tekram, LSI Logic, Advansys...).

RAID controllers: most RAID controllers are supported, excepted for IDE and Serial-ATA. 3Ware IDE and Serial-ATA RAID controllers are supported though.

USB and USB 2.0: most USB devices are supported.

CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives and burners: Most IDE, SCSI, PCMCIA, IEEE 1394/FireWire models are supported (this includes DVD+RW and DVD-RW).

Graphic cards: Most ISA, PCI and AGP cards are supported, including VESA, NVidia®, ATI, 3DFX, SIS, S3, Matrox, Intel i865G, i85x, i81x i845G, Trident. 3D acceleration is available for Matrox G200/G400/G500, Voodoo III/V/Banshee, Intel i8XX, ATI Rage 128/Pro & Radeon, Nvidia (GeForce and Nforce). i9xx chipset are supported in VESA mode.

Network adapters: All cards based on Intel, Realtek, 3COM, NVIDIA®, Broadcom and Marvell chipsets. USB adapters are supported. Most PCMCIA, PCI and USB wireless network cards are supported. Most modems, RNIS, DSL and wireless devices are supported. Most "WinModems" are not supported.

Printers: Most printers are supported. Most "WinPrinters" are not supported.

Sound Cards: All Sound Blaster-compatible soundcards, Sound Blaster/Ensoniq (Audigy, Live), X Wave, Crystal, Intel®, AMD, NVIDIA® force, VIA, CMI C-Media, ESS Maestro, Yamaha YMF744, Terratec, AC'97.

Laptops: Most laptops are supported. Centrino drivers are provided in commercial products.

Misc.: Numerous TV cards, all Wacom graphics tablets, many scanners, most web cams, digital cameras and FireWire devices are supported.

AFAIK Lindows provides financial support to various projects. I've seen WINE, Mozilla, and Reiser4 mentioned specifically.

Ah, here.

yes after they got help with legal troubles from Microsoft. they inturn helped. as for the developors of wine they bought crossover for there OS. I don't see that as support as much as wanting good MS office compatability. I dislike Lindows will all I have in me. I don't like that they charge you for updates to free software. Even Red Hat the updates are free it the managment that cost you money. the RPM are relased on the cvs server. (I think they are source but two command is all that is need to maek a source rpm to a useable rpm)

plus lindows is a insecure os. they have you make a root account and then you use that root account like a user account.. yuck.. crap.. they don't get it..

Linspire contributed nearly a half million dollars to CodeWeavers, other 3rd-party developers, and our own in-house engineers to help get Microsoft Office to run on Linux with WINE. 100% of all the code we developed, as well as any code we've paid to have developed and continue to develop, was contributed back to the open source WINE tree.

this is spine . they bought Crossover licenses and Codeweavers had MS office running before Linspire ever exsisted. and the lat part "100% of all the code we developed, as well as any code we've paid to have developed and continue to develop, was contributed back to the open source WINE tree."

of course its GPL.. they still blow there horn for something accordingto the codeweaves techs I converse with for work, they did not do.

this is from the codeweavers guys talking about xandros adn linsire(lindows) http://www.consultingtimes.com/articles/co...ersxandros.html

CT: We’ll get back to that. How does your relationship with Xandros differ from your abortive affair win Lindows?

JW: I feel that it’s a healthy relationship. Our relationship with Xandros is one based on two equals for mutual benefit. We were unable to construct such a relationship with Lindows.

CT: I thought they were going to help support Wine and put developers on it?

JW: Frankly, I was just as excited to work with Lindows as I am to work with Xandros. I think this vision of a Windows-compatible OS is fantastic. It’s why I’m here, it’s why I get up in the morning.

When you think about it, it’s a very difficult situation. Because from the perspective of the OS -- Lindows and Xandros -- with Wine being free -- it’s easy for them to try to squeeze us out of the picture -- or it’s tempting for them to do that. It’s hard for them to step up and craft a relationship that works for everyone. We were unable to craft such a deal with Lindows. It took us a very long time to craft such a deal with Xandros. So it’s not an easy arrangement or an easy relationship.

there is a free version of xandros with out the l pay-for licens on bit-torrent.

hi team i bought mandrake 10 today for $2.

and when i started to load.it dosent detect my cdrom .now ive used this cdrom for several instaltions and each time it has detected my cdrom .

and worked does this mean i need to get drivers for my cdrom so mandrake 10 can detect it and are they linux compatable.

i used this cdrom to load mandrake 9.1 it detected lycoris .

so im not sure why mandrake 10 hasent found my cd rom .

and if i need to get drivers for this cdrom where do i go for them.

most operating sys detect cd auto.

any ideas thanks

marty

Hmmmm... that's odd. Are you booting Mandrake 10 from the first install CD? Did you put the first install CD in your computer, power down, and start-up your unit from the CD ROM drive? Is the BIOS on your computer set so that the CD ROM drive is the first bootable device?

Mandrake 10 is pretty good at detecting hardware.