how can you make a custom data base that is easy to work with for customers where there is a lot of info to put dealing with constant repairs? I ask this because I am helping my father set up a data base for the repair shop he works at. He wants to be able to set up a single page for each customers repair orders without having to make a new card after about 50 lines.

• 2 months later...

I would recommend against the database in works.

What you need is a good relational database system, works is not relational, it's flat file. This means that every time a customer submits a repair they have to enter all their data into the system again making it very difficult to track their repair history etc.

For quick and dirty, small database Access can do the job.

For a little more power and a proper back end that's inexpensive, use MySQL or PostgreSQL, you can use Access as a front end to both of them through ODBC. The Windows version of Postgres seems pretty decent from what I've seen so far.

• 1 month later...

The new OpenOffice 2.0 beta has a relational database like Access but can also plug into any other datat base you would like to use.. or just be used to set up relations and tables.. and then use it PhP or something to create web forms for access.

best part is it's free..as in beer and as in speech.

True, there is the Open Office one, I haven't had a chance to mess with it, and as it's in beta I tend not to reccomend beta software unless I'm comfortable with the tech level of the person who's going to be using it.

crrj

hee has'ent access been in beta for 10 years now :)

• 4 weeks later...
hee has'ent access been in beta for 10 years now

It certainly seems that way sometimes. 2003 is a step backwards in terms of programmability. Also by now you'd think that they'd have the SQL a little closer to at least SQL 92.