How Can I Connect Via Usb?

Hi, Im having a hard time connecting 2 devices to the UBS ports. When I connect the first one it works great, however connect the second and it wont recognize it. I have XP and its usb 2. For example my iPod and a usb thumbdive.

Edited by X-Cannon

Is it one of your ports? Make sure both ports are working. If both are working then plug both the devices in and then do this

Right click my computer > properties > hardware > device manager

Are there anything with a ? by it or a !

Can you see both the devices? If your computer does see the device you will need to manually assign a drive letter to the device.

FIX: Fast swap of USB devices may cause USB host controller to stop functioning in Windows XP

USB port may stop working after removing or inserting USB device

USB Devices May Not Work After You Unplug a Downstream USB Hub from the Host Controller

A USB device is not recognized if you attach it immediately after your Windows XP-based computer comes out of standby or hibernation

A USB device that is connected to a USB 2.0 hub is not detected in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, or Windows Server 2003 x64 versions

You Receive a "USB Device Not Recognized" Error Message When You Resume Your Computer from Suspend or Hibernation (Pre SP1)

General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP

You do not receive notification when the USB bus is overloaded on a Windows XP-based computer

USB device does not function after connecting device to a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer or to a Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005-based computer (Devices need more than 500mA of power)

In Device Manager right click on your USB hubs and select Properties. Under the Power Management tab uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

In Device Manager click View then Show hidden devices. Uninstall all USB devices. Turn off the computer and unplug all of the USB devices. Reboot the PC a couple of times then shut it down to reconnect the USB devices. Restart and let them be redetected.

As a last step try this (regards USB connected cameras).

Selective USB components not connecting properly

after some testting I have found that the back usb ports are excellent I can plug in 2 devices side by side. Only the front 2 usb ports conflict. I can plugin 1 or the other in either usb port but not both. Wierd

At that point I would suspect a power issue.

Are these both devices which draw power from the USB port? Neither has an external transformer?

Correct both powered by USB and no they don't have external transformers. I just recently purchased a new 430 W PSU old one was 350 so a bit more juice. I'm thinking just get a USB hub connect it to the back and go that rout...but I really want to know why these 2 USB ports in the front don't co-operate its really frustrating!