OK here is what I want. I want a VNC server that will run on my home PC so I can get to it from work. I want to have it be 32bit viewable so I can see the best picture for my buck. I also want something that will not leave my network with a hole for hackers and things. I want the best out there. I have used real VNC which I like bcause the 64 char password. Ultra VNC is nice because I can see video where as on Real VNC I can not. I want the best of both worlds here. I am wanting the password to be safe and not hackable but I also want to be able to view everything like I was at home.

I'd also say give LogMeIn a shot. I've used both UltraVNC and LogMeIn (Haven't used RealVNC) and I liked both. LogMeIn is really nice if you don't want to install a client on every machine you have, you just need to make sure the service is running on the box you want to connect to. It's a web based client. The only thing the Pro version offers that interests me (unless they added new stuff that I haven't seen yet) is the file transferring.

I'd definitely say try it out, it was also pretty quick for me.

B

I do worry however with websites and things and if they will stick around. How long has LogMeIn been around?

I'd also say give LogMeIn a shot. I've used both UltraVNC and LogMeIn (Haven't used RealVNC) and I liked both. LogMeIn is really nice if you don't want to install a client on every machine you have, you just need to make sure the service is running on the box you want to connect to. It's a web based client. The only thing the Pro version offers that interests me (unless they added new stuff that I haven't seen yet) is the file transferring.

I'd definitely say try it out, it was also pretty quick for me.

B

I'll throw another vote out for logmein.com but if you don't want to use them that's understandable.

Just out of curiosity, is the box in question running windows xp pro? If so, you should consider using remote desktop instead of VNC. Remote desktop is built into every XP pro box and IMO works MUCH better than VNC.

Yes but if I am coming in from work, they have VNC clients that I have to use. Also, the last time I used the one in XP Pro it was a little tricky to setup. I also have a mac I use to log into my XP so I would need something that I can get in that way as well.

I'll throw another vote out for logmein.com but if you don't want to use them that's understandable.

Just out of curiosity, is the box in question running windows xp pro? If so, you should consider using remote desktop instead of VNC. Remote desktop is built into every XP pro box and IMO works MUCH better than VNC.

Yes but if I am coming in from work, they have VNC clients that I have to use. Also, the last time I used the one in XP Pro it was a little tricky to setup. I also have a mac I use to log into my XP so I would need something that I can get in that way as well.

Microsoft makes a Mac OS X RDC client that I use often (you can find it here) and it works just as well as the windows client. The windows client is already included with every XP box so you don't have to worry about downloading a client if you're connecting from an XP box. And about it being hard to set up... how so? RDC is extremely easy to set up, especially when compared with VNC. There are no extra programs to install or anything like that. RDC is also inherently more secure since encryption is built into the RDC protocol. Encryption with a VNC connection is a little more tricky to get set up. The only thing that may be percieved as tricky is port forwarding if you're behind a router or firewall. But port forwarding has to be done with VNC as well so I'm not sure what you're getting at. If you want to enable RDC, rt click my computer > properties > remote tab > check the box that says enable remote desktop on this computer.

rdcrw9.jpg

To connect to the computer from another computer you need to know the IP address of the computer. To eliminate having to remember an IP address (not to mention your address is probably a dynamic address) you can use a service like no-ip.com to create an easy to remember URL that dynamically updates should your IP address change.

Edited by Breen
OK I get what you say here, but, I wonder if or what port needs to be open up for me. Also, I am wondering if I can use a VNC viewer to see the PC or does it matter?

RDC uses port 3389 and no you can't use a VNC viewer (as far as I know), just the microsoft RDC client.

I tired it, but I want to be able to see that I have two screens attached to my PC like I do.

OK I get what you say here, but, I wonder if or what port needs to be open up for me. Also, I am wondering if I can use a VNC viewer to see the PC or does it matter?

RDC uses port 3389 and no you can't use a VNC viewer (as far as I know), just the microsoft RDC client.

I tired it, but I want to be able to see that I have two screens attached to my PC like I do.

Ah yes, that is one limitation of RDC v5.1 (the version included w/ XP). RDC v6.0, which is included with Windows Vista, has support for multi-monitor setups. This doesn't help you very much though. If you really need to be able to see both monitors then VNC seems to be your only option.

See here is also my problem. I tried logging into my work PC. It has a multi monitor setup. And when I went to see the second monitor, I could not. What gives?

Ah yes, that is one limitation of RDC v5.1 (the version included w/ XP). RDC v6.0, which is included with Windows Vista, has support for multi-monitor setups. This doesn't help you very much though. If you really need to be able to see both monitors then VNC seems to be your only option.

Unfortunately, the remote desktop that is included with XP pro doesn't support multi-monitor setups. The newest version of remote desktop (included with windows vista) does support multi-monitors. But if you're not running vista you won't be able to use multi-monitors in a remote session.

That is so sad. So so sad. I would like to have things setup now so I can see dual monitors.

Unfortunately, the remote desktop that is included with XP pro doesn't support multi-monitor setups. The newest version of remote desktop (included with windows vista) does support multi-monitors. But if you're not running vista you won't be able to use multi-monitors in a remote session.