Student Suspended Over Suspected Use Of Php

This is really old, but I just found it today (not completely sure if it's true :blink: ) :

"A teacher overheard him say that he was using PHP, and as part of our Zero-Tolerance policy against drug use, he was immediately suspended. No questions asked," said Principal Clyde Thurlow. "We're not quite sure what PHP is, but we suspect it may be a derivative of PCP, or maybe a new designer drug like GHB."
:lol:

Link

Just in case anyone takes the story to seriously and starts ranting and raving about the kids on drugs or the teachers not knowing much about tech (or drugs), here are the first couple of paragraphs found on the site's ABOUT section.

"Called "the world's greatest tech humour site" by The Register, BBspot creates entertainment for the geekier side of the world. BBspot produces a variety of features like fake news stories satirizing the tech and political worlds, the BBspot Mailbag which pokes fun at the Believers (people who believe our fake news) and much more. BBspot was started by Brian Briggs in April of 2000 as a hobby to bring some fun to the web, but grew to the point where Brian "quit his day job" and made the site his full-time occupation in January of 2003.

Material from BBspot has been featured several times on Tech TV's The Screen Savers show, on The Discovery Channel, radio shows, major newspapers and books. BBspot has had five front page postings on Slashdot, and is very proud to be linked from the home page for Nethack. How's that for geek cred."

Interesting site nevertheless. Thanks for the link.

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

You are welcome. Glad I could clarify it for you and others.

I just thought it sounded a bit fishy even though this non techie gal wasn't sure of the alphabet soup label but thought it sounded like Tech not Drugs, so decided to see what the site was all about, next step would have been to go to one of the urban legend sites to see if they had anything like that story.

Pat

God bless everyone

Oh come on guys, did no one read the article in full.

Last paragraph:

PHP is a hypertext preprocessor, which sounds very dangerous. It is believed that many users started by using Perl and moved on to the more powerful PHP. For more information on how to recognize if your child may be using PHP please visit http://www.php.net.

OK by show of hands who thought this was serious........

M

... OK by show of hands who thought this was serious........
Not entirely. I wouldn't put it past some moron to make a big deal out of something they didn't even understand, but I couldn't believe action could be taken before an explanation (and a definition) took place.

I tried HTP before. It didn't agree with me. Made my brain hurt. Wasted a lot of my life on that. :P