Well I've got around $1000 to spend and I wanna know whether I should build a computer or just order a nice one from Dell? I would mainly be using this comp for gaming, though I do other stuff too. I wouldn't know where to begin if I were to build it so any help on that would be appreciated too.

Well I've got around $1000 to spend and I wanna know whether I should build a computer or just order a nice one from Dell? I would mainly be using this comp for gaming, though I do other stuff too. I wouldn't know where to begin if I were to build it so any help on that would be appreciated too.

It used to be cheaper to build your own. Now it is just as good to order one from Dell,HP or where ever and have them put in the parts you want. The biggest cost of building your own will be Windows. And if you try and use a copy you will not be able to update the Windows with Windows Updates. That will put your system at risk of Viruses and other problems. So my 2Cents worth is buy one that your can pick the parts you want in it. $1000 will go a long way.

I saw one the other day and the specs are as follows:

HP PAVILLION A1630N:

- AMD ALive Tech.; Dual-Core PC

- AMD Athlong 64 X2 processor 4600+ 2.4GHz, 2x512 KB L2, 2000MT/s FSB

- 2.0GB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM

- 250GB 7200-rpm SATA Hard Drive

- Windows XP Media Center 2005

- LightScribe SuperMulti DVD Drive

- 10/100 Ethernetl; 56k v.90

- 6USB 2.0, 2 FireWire ports

- 9-in-1 memory card reader

- nVidia GeForce 6150LE graphics card

Now this computer, without a monitor/keyboard/speakers was around $750-$800. I thought this was a good deal, is it?

Edited by Potato2k4

If you are looking for a cheap pc, getting a dell(any oem builder) is the way to go. If you want to build a high end gaming pc, I would recommend building it. For a $1000 you could build a nice system.

Is it an option to use your old pc for parts? Do you already have a moniter?

As to the system listed above, its nice. You probably could not build one any cheaper.

Edited by shanenin

I haven't really figured out what I want to do with my old computer yet. I could scrap it for parts, but the only things I would save would be the HD, CD drive, and maybe the graphics card (GeForce FX 5200 i think thats kind of an older low end card though, no?) I do have a monitor, and speakers, my speakers are on the verge of dying though, but I can use my headset. The keyboard/mouse are old but still work so I'm pretty whatever about that. The only problem with building a computer is finding the time between school and work, and since I have never done a build before I would have absolutely no idea what I am doing.

Hooray for you, Tater!

Now, if you check out Dell's site, make sure you look for an area called "advertised specials". This breaks down to "tv ads", "newspaper ads" and another section (?don't remember, magazine ads maybe?) and look at all three links as they all carry different sales. That's how I found this computer, it was in "newspaper ads" section--and was never advertised in my local paper!

AND when you're ordering your computer, a little ditty that is easily overlooked is the option of buying an "XP Disk" (it's a Dell Version, not the 'real one' but contains the same stuff) for $10. Even though there are back up programs available and the OS is installed in a hidden area of the hard drive, a Disk is $10 well spent if you ever need it. In my case, it's insurance that I'll never have to use it since I bought it :D *knocks wood*

Don't purchase an AV/Firewall until you get your computer if you don't use the freebie AVs. My new idiot box had "PC Cillian AV" advertised as a 3 month free trial, bought 2006 Mcafee because I didn't want PcCillian. Ended up my free trial was for 3 months of Mcafee and by the time it expired, the 2007 Mcafee was for sale!

AND write down everything! When I ordered now-Son's computer, I wanted to upgrade the graphics card but the website wouldn't let me do it for some reason. So I called Dell, explained my dilemma and ordered everything over the telephone (because I had everything written down!) AND got the website price! AND if you call Sales, most likely you'll get someone speaking English as their first language :thumbsup:

Liz

Edited by blim

Ouch, I never thought of that shanenin. I guess I will go pre-built. Now on pre-builts does the brand matter at all or is it just what's inside? I have heard Dell is the best brand and i currently have a dell so it makes me want to stay loyal to them but this HP seems like an amazing deal, though I have heard that HP is a crappy brand, any thoughts?

NOOOO!!!! not manufactered. Build your own.

I'm just kidding. I prefer to build my own but you might be better off buying a manufactured PC.

I'm actually bout to build a new one for my church. The preacher got a hold of 2 new nForce2 400 mobo's and were gonna build 2 systems with them for the church computer lab we are starting.

NOOOO!!!! not manufactered. Build your own.

I'm just kidding. I prefer to build my own but you might be better off buying a manufactured PC.

I'm actually bout to build a new one for my church. The preacher got a hold of 2 new nForce2 400 mobo's and were gonna build 2 systems with them for the church computer lab we are starting.

Hahaha sounds like a sweet church/pastor. Maybe you could slip a few games into that lab. :whistling:^_^

HP ain't bad. I've got an HP laptop that I bought for $400 off eBay when it was only like 6 months old. Sempron 2800, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon Xpress 200m chipset. It gets the job done and can play Counter-Strike Condition Zero and the original Call of Duty so I'm happy with it.

The guy who sold it to me was gracious enough to wipe the hard drive, reinstall windows, and reinstall all the factory software before shipping it. It was like getting it brand new straight from Hp.................. I immediately wiped the hard drive and installed windows again and left all the HP crap off. The thing runs great.

Yeah the pastor at my church is also a computer nerd. He and I handle all computer related stuff plus me and my bro handle all audio related stuff there. I always run the sound system every Sunday and on most special services. I guess you could call me the Audio Technician and the IT Consultant. :lol:

I have used HP's for my last 2 systems. Neither of them had any problems. I upgraded this one I am using now with a better graphics card and more memory. Runs fine for me. I don't game though, just use it for Internet, and picture editing. It was $500 a couple of years ago. AMD Athlon 64 3200+. The same or close to the same now is about $400.