Hello people,

Im gonna be getting Windows Vista Ultimate when its released.

How well do you guys think it will run on my system?

My computer specs are in my sighniture.

I know my comp is quite outdated now but its played everything ive thrown at it.

Ive ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and it said my comp passed to run it so...

What you guys think....Also will Vista be ok for gaming on?

I play alot of games.

Hi Shane,

It will run, yes. Will it run the way your XP runs? No. If you're into gaming and you run Vista on that machine I think you'll have a few issues. If you really want to upgrade to Vista I recommend you upgrade the processor which most likely means a new motherboard, and probably new ram (I'd get at least 2GB), and you're going to want a DX (Direct X) 10 card I would think since you like to game. Yeah, in my honest personal opinion your better off just buying or building a new box. You'll want SATA or SATA2 drives, and the rest of the stuff I listed above. Also, if you want to run the Aero interface you'll want to upgrade as well. So yeah, bottom line is you're best bet is to get a new machine.

I ran Vista Beta on my P4 2Ghz with 1GB of ram and it worked...but the gaming thing kind of throws it off.

B

Hi Shane,

It will run, yes. Will it run the way your XP runs? No. If you're into gaming and you run Vista on that machine I think you'll have a few issues. If you really want to upgrade to Vista I recommend you upgrade the processor which most likely means a new motherboard, and probably new ram (I'd get at least 2GB), and you're going to want a DX (Direct X) 10 card I would think since you like to game. Yeah, in my honest personal opinion your better off just buying or building a new box. You'll want SATA or SATA2 drives, and the rest of the stuff I listed above. Also, if you want to run the Aero interface you'll want to upgrade as well. So yeah, bottom line is you're best bet is to get a new machine.

I ran Vista Beta on my P4 2Ghz with 1GB of ram and it worked...but the gaming thing kind of throws it off.

B

Hmm looks like im gonna stick with Xp then until i get a new computer then....My comps starting to show its age :D

I heard you cannot play dx9 games in vista.

No it cant be....Im sure you we be able to play DX9 games on a DX10 card.

Im actualy saving up for a new pc anyway...But i wont be getting it yet because i want to see what AMD come out with now that Intel have those beefy Core 2 duos and soon Quad core.

So AMD must make something better soon.

Im not a AMD fan its just that ive mostly only had AMD systems.

Only ever had 1 Intel Pc :D

One good thing about sticking with XP for a while is that you won't be fiddling around with Vista while the kinks are getting worked out of it. New MS products are just too buggy.

I'm hoping my XP keeps running until Vista Service Pack 2 is installed on new computers! :D

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have been playing with Vista for well over a year now. And I'm running the RTM version now until I can get to buy the Full Key from MS.

My first suggestion to you is to buy the Home Professional Version.

I have the ability to install any version of Vista, including the ones that won't be released in the more upgraded countries. And My suggestion to everyone who wants all the bells and whistles is to go with the Home Pro. version

Yes, to say "I have the Ultimate Version" is always nice. But your looking at installing things that would only be helpful in a large corporate environment. One with a large amount of computers and vast network workplace. One where you really wouldn't even want co-workers knowing what your doing as to not lose important data. ( Like Steve Jobs getting the goodies for Vista to use on a Mac before MS releases it). LOL

Also Ultimate puts on close to another Gig and a half of information on your Hard Drive.

Vista Home Professional would be the way to go. It is geared towards todays growing threats as well as tomorrows growing gaming trends, (amongst other things). Without over doing things. Even for the more paranoid people. (like myself)....LOL. It is set up good, with allot of security in mind.

I am running 1.5 gigs on ram on an new AMD duel core system. And show around 33% ram usage from an idle.

Thats why another real important piece of equipment for running Vista is a GOOD Graphic Card.

Vista is designed to put more work on them. Thus freeing the processor to do more useful thing as in getting the job done without having to use itself on trying to run the graphics also. I noticed a big difference when I finally replaced my card.

Gaming!!! Some of the latest new games coming out will be geared just for the Vista Platform. (another good reason to get a good graphics card). Half Life 3 is geared only for Vista so far. And other makers are also putting the better games on the Vista bandwagon.

Hope this helps you out some in you decision, when you decide to upgrade.