Scanning And Computer Lifespan

Hello Folks

1) Is daily scanning for spyware an important factor in the lifespan of a computer (in terms of adding "wear and tear" to the hard drive, etc...)?

2) Is a spyware scanning product that is a "resource hog", using constant surges of 80-90%

CPU usage significantly more "wear and tear" on my computer than one with a light footprint?

3) Will scanning once a week (compared to once a day) significantly lengthen the lifetime of a computer???

I'm running SpyBot, Kaspersky AV with realtime monitor, AVG (the Ewido version- on demand only), AdAware, Spy Sweeper, Spy Blaster, Spyware Guard...

Most of what I catch is spy cookies...one system monitor in 4years of running...haven't caught a virus yet. In the past I've used the computer for a few hours per day, but lately sometimes for 8 or more hours per day. Without these tools my system DID slow way down, so I do use them regularly.

I've googled a bit on the lifespan question but haven't really seen much- any opinions??

Thanks

Ashwin

Edited by ashwin

My computer is on 24/7. AVG auto updates and runs every night, also have spyware guard, spywareblaster, and several other protections on here. This system has been running for five years with only a few upgrades. The original hard drives were replaced only because they were too small, in fact they are both still being used in a linux box. So I personally think scanning doesn't affect the hd to any great extent.

I haven't noticed too many slowdowns due to scanning

Hello Folks

1) Is daily scanning for spyware an important factor in the lifespan of a computer (in terms of adding "wear and tear" to the hard drive, etc...)?

2) Is a spyware scanning product that is a "resource hog", using constant surges of 80-90%

CPU usage significantly more "wear and tear" on my computer than one with a light footprint?

3) Will scanning once a week (compared to once a day) significantly lengthen the lifetime of a computer???

I'm running SpyBot, Kaspersky AV with realtime monitor, AVG (the Ewido version- on demand only), AdAware, Spy Sweeper, Spy Blaster, Spyware Guard...

Most of what I catch is spy cookies...one system monitor in 4years of running...haven't caught a virus yet. In the past I've used the computer for a few hours per day, but lately sometimes for 8 or more hours per day. Without these tools my system DID slow way down, so I do use them regularly.

I've googled a bit on the lifespan question but haven't really seen much- any opinions??

Thanks

Ashwin

I only scan once a week. Never have any problems. I also have Dish Network with 4 of the old style DishPlayers. (Like TIVO). I put in a 130GB HD in my wifes system so she and my grandson can record programs off the TV. They record and delete programs by the hundreds monthly and Still Pause, Rewind and fast forward all the time. That hard drive is running fine. SO no, I don't think it effects the Hard drive at all to run SpyBot and the others.

If you are really concerned, scanning once a week may be better for the life of the drive. With that said, just enjoy life, worrying about stuff like that will make you crazy(I'm guilty of that also), if you lose a few months of the life of the drive, whats it really matter :-)

Take into consideration that you have not found any significant malware, which implies you have safe surfing habits in place that protect you before the stuff gets on your drive. I would be far more concerned then about the waste of time daily scans incur than any wear and tear on the drive (drives almost always outlast their usefullness anyway, no matter how they're used).

BTW, the "warning" about cookies is nearly always overblown (they are rarely malicious in nature -- and considering you don't "catch" anything else you're likely not visiting sites that use them in an objectionable manner). Using Internet Options / Privacy or a third party program to manage cookies is more efficient than running a scan and then deleting them after-the-fact.

As for CPU usage, the heat in the CPU is a wear factor for the CPU, but is not a deciding factor in hard drive wear & tear.

Take into consideration that you have not found any significant malware, which implies you have safe surfing habits in place that protect you before the stuff gets on your drive. I would be far more concerned then about the waste of time daily scans incur than any wear and tear on the drive (drives almost always outlast their usefullness anyway, no matter how they're used).

BTW, the "warning" about cookies is nearly always overblown (they are rarely malicious in nature -- and considering you don't "catch" anything else you're likely not visiting sites that use them in an objectionable manner). Using Internet Options / Privacy or a third party program to manage cookies is more efficient than running a scan and then deleting them after-the-fact.

As for CPU usage, the heat in the CPU is a wear factor for the CPU, but is not a deciding factor in hard drive wear & tear.

Amen! Like you said.

I would be very concernedd about my surfing habits if I found true spyware everyday. I run mine a mere once a month and a complete AV scan bi weekly unless there is a problem.

Preston

None of the scans you've mentioned will significantly impact the lifetime of your drive(s).

In my experience, the OS and my use keeps the drives moving anyway.

Spyware/virus scans don't add much to the load.

As to "how often", as mentioned above already it depends on your surfing habits.

I full sweep (AV + spyware) once a month just before backing up.

The "day to day" cookies spyware sweeps detect I now choose to ignore.

Things like "Doubleclick" reinstall almost immediately where I surf, but I don't use an "on the fly" spyware blocker.

Nor am I worried about "Doubleclick", so removing it daily isn't a high priority to me.

Edited by CurlingSteve

if it's any consolation, I have two 9 year old Seagates still working and two 5 year old WD's still rockin. Though neither of the Seagates are used anymore due to the large amount of higher capacity drives I have accumulated recently. They were both used a LONG time though with regular scans and what not (bout 5 to 6 years). Don't worry about the life of the drive. As long as it is a good drive, it'll be replaced before it dies. You'll have a need for a larger capacity drive or you'll get a new computer before it's life is up.

This reminds me, I got a 40GB drive I just acquired that I need to test out and make use of.

In all likelyhood your computer will be obsolete and you will have purchased a replacement long before scanning or normal use could possibly cause it to wear out.

Sure , parts fail and things wear out; but really if they are going to fail they will and if they are not , normal use will not make them fail .