This last year I have really let up on my quest of learning about linux. I think that it coincides with me starting my repair shop. I felt like I needed to use and learn windows everyday(this means not using linux as much) to be better at my job(I am getting to use windows better). The strange thing is I feel like I am letting myself down by using windows more then linux. Don't get me wrong, I use my linux box everyday, but don't really take the time to learn anything new like I used to :-(

Edited by shanenin
This last year I have really let up on my quest of learning about linux. I think that it coincides with me starting my repair shop. I felt like I needed to use and learn windows everyday(this means not using linux as much) to be better at my job(I am getting to use windows better). The strange thing is I feel like I am letting myself down by using windows more then linux. Don't get me wrong, I use my linux box everyday, but don't really take the time to learn anything new like I used to :-(

No better way (IMO) to get out of a rut than to read a new book. :thumbsup:

maybe "in a rut" is a bad title for my post. I agree reading a book about something non-computer would be good. I will take you up on that advice :-)

I think i am more irritated that I feel like I HAVE TO USE WINDOWS. If it was not for my profession, I would not hardly use it at all. The sad thing is, to get really good at windows, I need to use it more. I even considered learning visual basic **shudder**

Edited by shanenin
maybe "in a rut" is a bad title for my post. I agree reading a book about something non-computer would be good. I will take you up on that advice :-)

I think i am more irritated that I feel like I HAVE TO USE WINDOWS. If it was not for my profession, I would not hardly use it at all. The sad thing is, to get really good at windows, I need to use it more. I even considered learning visual basic **shudder**

Whoops, I ment read a good book on Linux. :thumbsup:

So, how is your new biz goin?

Thats the thing, I think that if I use the computer I should be directing my thoughts at windows(not a good thing). Maybe I should get a good windows book, maybe visual basic ;-)

As to the business. Its keeping its head above water, but not supporting the family(yet). I am building a customer base and learning a lot. This last year I have had just one small yellowpage ad in one of the two books people use in this area. It has brought me some business(average $600/month in sales). I have a lot return customers and referrals. This January I have committed to a half page ad in yellowbook, I will have the largest ad out of any repair shop in town. In march I am placing a half page ad in quest yellow book, again the largest ad out of any repair shop in town. One of two things will happen, I will be busy enough to make a livable income or the $1000/month ads will bankrupt me. I think i will be doing well :-) I am really excited for January to come.

Edited by shanenin

I understand, but, you are a seasoned, hardened Linux expert, shanenin! I started Linux before you, but, I've never seen anyone learn as fast as you. We are lucky to have you here, shanenin:-) You must take a break from the goodness of open source software to learn about your business, which is primarily windows.

I nominated you for the position of Linux Expert because you are an expert; a creative problem solver! I learn from you. Linux will always be here. Take the time you need to learn windows, your family and you will profit:-)

shanenin

windows is your bread and butter

so you have to dedicate time to fix win

applications

linux is a side line

as far as your living is concerned

yes i agree with hi test

you are an asset on the board weather it

be windows or linux

so go for it and good luck

marty

Windows is an interesting system. When I briefly switched to WinXP a couple years ago (after my Linux laptop died) I decided to really learn the system. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Windows sucks in a lot of ways but it has all kinds of neat and weird features that you don't find on Linux. Even Win32 seemed like less of an abomination once I started to grok the logic behind it. There's a really nice operating system underneath all that cruft.

I didn't touch VB though. I did a little VBScript when I was playing with WSH and it wasn't too bad. (WSH is really neat. It's the scripting environment that you wish cmd.exe provided.)

Edited by jcl

you could always learn C#, its use full on Windows and With Mono is use full on Linux.

you can use C# with the new PowerShell for Windows so its good for Admin

I have to Program for Windows at work (also soem *Nix programing but they seem to get done and not need as much hand holding)

so I keep it interesting by trying to make sure my C# will also run in Mono

but I think that all ruts are just an excuse to find a new project.

linux is not a girlfriend who gets mad when you don't use her :)

linux is not a girlfriend who gets mad when you don't use her :)

funny :lol:

Shanenin:

I went and am still going through somewhat of the same "rut" you're experiencing but I don't really have the reasons you do (business related), I've kinda switched back to using windows primarily for the apps I use in my hobbies (e.g. Photoshop CS, Guitar Tracks Pro, Dreamweaver, etc. etc. etc.). I haven't booted my desktop to linux in what seems like months (quite the waste of 550GB of HD space) and have a laptop running ubuntu 24/7 only for watching movies in bed (basically requires no maintenance). I haven't really learned anything new about linux in quite a while and have probably forgotten a bit of the info that I had when I was undeservedly given the "linux expert" status.

The thing I used to like doing was installing a distro (troubleshoot what's wrong) and setting it up to be exactly the way I want it...but what's next, reinstall? How many times can I do that until the enjoyment wears off...apparently the answer to that is about 20 times...lol

Don't get me wrong, I like open source and the freedom to modify any damn file on my computer however I want, but also like a lot of windows applications.