Using Hjt Or Msconfig To Stop Startups

I wasn't trying to start a controversy. I use msconfig on client computers on a regular basis. I thought I was being irresponsible.

By the way, I installed codestuff. It seems the same as msconfig, but in a different package. Just my opinion. If I read petes quote properly, he said that using codestuff is also stopping unused dlls from being loaded into memory. If that is the case, that is a great plus. I wonder if that really happens.

Edited by shanenin

Something i would like to say on this subject is that after learning to do HJT logs i know that experts always recommend rechecking all things in msconfig that were disabled, before they will recommend a fix !!

Something i would like to say on this subject is that after learning to do HJT logs i know that experts always recommend rechecking all things in msconfig that were disabled, before they will recommend a fix !!

That is because many program need to be running to be identified and deleted properly. It has nothing to do with system resource problems.

I wasn't trying to start a controversy.

That was me. This has been gnawing at me for years.

If I read petes quote properly, he said that using codestuff is also stopping unused dlls from being loaded into memory. If that is the case, that is a great plus. I wonder if that really happens.

That shouldn't be necessary. If the DLL isn't being used it should either never be paged in or should be paged out eventually[0]. Generally speaking you gain nothing by unloading data that isn't active; the operating system will do it automatically when required.

[0] Swapping out a DLL should have close to zero overhead because the .dll file acts as a page file for the static code and data. The operating system can drop the memory without having to write it out to main page file(s). The same is true of executables.

Edited by jcl

/me jumping into the flames!

Hello my name is Mike and I use msconfig.

Whew what a relief that was.

I use msconfig to stop startup items in XP using the startup tab.

I also have google open for any .exe's I do not recognize.

I also do a registry tweak to clean out all the items that are unchecked. So far I have not had a machine crash because of the use of msconfig. I do not use other apps to stop startup items because I am greedy with RAM and only want windows to start faster. example a 2 Ghz laptop with XP Home with 198 megs of ram when the laptop can accept 512 x 2, thanks HP.

This is almost like the question "What is the best ______?"

M