My sister is behind 2 routers. 1 linksys assigning ip addresses 1 netgear running just as access point.

Removing the linksys is not an option.

I have port forwarding setup in both now, had PF in one then the other....

any suggestions?

M

port forwarding is the only way through a NAT.

can you ping the boxes (have to set up PF for that to test)

I have VNC going through several routers, but they are all Layer 3 except the one at the house (well it is Layer 3 but is being used as a Layer 2)

my only suggestion is to have Pf or a tunnel set up. here is RealVNC suggestions

How do I use VNC through my firewall?

Many organisations operate firewalls to reduce the risk of intrusion by malicious attackers via the Internet. These firewalls typically operate by only allowing connections in to machines in that organisation on specific ports. Which ports are permitted access depends upon the network protocol that uses the port and the degree of security it provides. VNC servers can accept incoming connections through firewalls in two main ways. Although the first is usually the simplest to arrange, we recommend using the SSH tunnelling method wherever VNC is to be used over an untrusted network such as the Internet.

* Opening Ports - The simplest way to allow VNC connections in through your firewall is to configure your firewalling software to allow connections to the VNC ports. If N is the display number of a particular VNC server then it will accept connections on port 5900+N. Configuring your firewall to allow connections to this port will allow VNC to work. If you wish to use the in-built web server and Java VNC Viewer then you will also need to allow connections to port 5800+N. Unfortunately, because VNC traffic is not encrypted, this approach weakens the security provided by your firewall, and so is not advisable.

* Secure Tunnelling - Most organisations that operate firewalls allow connections to a number of standard ports, that are in principle used only by secure or harmless protocols. While VNC in its present incarnation is not suitably secure for this to be advisable, it can be "tunnelled" through a secure protocol layer to achieve the same effect. The Secure Shell (SSH) protocol is one example of such a wrapper, and is one which most firewalls allow access through. The Secure Shell client is run on the VNC client computer and is made to forward connections to a particular port on that machine to a port on the VNC server machine. The forwarded connection is encrypted by the SSH software, which can provide both encryption and authentication. For more details on how to do this, see here.