Upgrading The Cpu - Which One Is Compatible?

I have a windows HP desktop with an Intel Celeron Processor 1.80GHz. It runs slow, even though the RAM has been upgraded to 512MB. I would like to upgrade the processor. How do I find out if the new processor is compatible with my PC or will any Intel do? I was told the processor has to be compatible with the motherboard but can't find anything online to help with this.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Processor: 1.80 gigahertz Intel Celeron, 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 128 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board: Board: Hewlett-Packard HP System Board HP P/N, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

Many thanks.

It is a HP Pavillion 423.uk

I emailed HP and they have replied with the following:

The current CPU is an Intel Celeron Williamette 1.8. I can upgrade to a Williamette 2.0

Any idea if there is a noticeable difference between the two speeds or should I not bother?

Many thanks.

Edited by cromwell_4
It is a HP Pavillion 423.uk

I emailed HP and they have replied with the following:

The current CPU is an Intel Celeron Williamette 1.8. I can upgrade to a Williamette 2.0

Any idea if there is a noticeable difference between the two speeds or should I not bother?

Many thanks.

You wont see any difference. You would be better off reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling your Windows XP. That will speed it up more than anything else. After having you system for a while it tends to slow down from just installing and uninstalling programs. Do you Defrag your hard drive on a regular basis? IS your XP on a partition on your Hard drive like say D:? If so you just need to restart the machine and when you see the HP splash screen just hit F1,F2 or F10 which ever it says for system restore. Do you have HP System recovery file under PC Help and Tools? That is where you would do this also.