How To: Bebetterguys.com

For all the guys on board, maybe this site will help you get a date. a job, or a clue.

:rolleyes: Oops!!! :rolleyes: Sorry about that. :unsure:

Our local paper had a short excerpt of the article from The Washington Post giving it the 'Get a grip' title.

Here is the link to the original article in Washington Post.

Unrumpling Dudekind: The Guys behind Be Better Guys

BeBetterGuys website

I haven't checked out their website, so do your own evaluation of whether it is useful or trash. I'm just posting this for fun, seeing as how you guys are always posting jokes and stuff about us gals. :rolleyes:

Now don't go overboard and try to become something that you aren't, but remember knowledge is power only if you use it appropriately.

Just kidding you guys with this post. Luv ya!!! :wub:

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

A laudible goal, getting guys to use hankerchiefs, clean up their bathrooms and all. But facials? Ugh. If you want a girl, date a girl. (Just kidding! Not entirely.)

They certainly have a point about available resources for guys, (GQ, they don't mention it but the articles in Playboy, etc.) all are aimed at "metrosexuals" rather than just us guys. Many people, not just guys, are somehow missing out on common-sense information. I'm reminded of a conversation I had where I mentioned using a washcloth. I got blank stares. "You use a washcloth?" Um, yeah, we're missing some basic information it would seem.

Things Every Guy Should Know:

1. It's not enough to buy a decent suit. Take it to one of the many tailors around town so the suit fits your body.

I don't do suits. I am definitely not going to have my blue jeans and t-shirts tailored.

2. Learn to cook one edible meal and make one decent drink. Doesn't need to be fancy, it just needs to be good.

Anything I cook is edible. As for mixing drinks, I was a bartender besides working construction for over thirty years.

3. Your socks -- they match your pants, not your shoes.

I only wear white or black socks. None match my blue jeans or my work boots.

4. Within the first 10 minutes of setting foot in your place, a woman will always use the bathroom. Wipe yours down (yes, the toilet and shower, too) before she arrives.

I never bring a woman to my home. I prefer going to theirs.

5. Carry a handkerchief every day. Use it instead of your hands or your sleeve when you sneeze, blow your nose or when your girl makes you cry.

I carry a roll of paper towels in my truck. Not only can I use them to blow my nose or wipe my hands but they come in handy if I need to make an emergency visit behind a tree in the woods.

As for the hair trimming at their site.

My hair is long and falls below my shoulders. My beard is full and long. I do attempt to keep my nose and ear hairs trimmed but tweezers is a no go. The same for my eyebrows. There is no way I would have by back waxed or trim down below. :o

That site is definitely for metro-sexuals, not real men. :rolleyes:

I got a big grin out of reading your link, Pat, thanks!

The "get a tailor to measure you" tip makes a LOT of sense. When Son rented a tuxedo for a prom, I wrote down all the measurements so I now have his shirt, pant ("proper fit", yes, he wears his jeans baggy!) and shoe size stashed in my wallet. Even have his hat size written down from when he got fitted for the Baseball team's cap. Very, very handy when shopping for him!!

I also remember when Son's girlfriend decided to give him a facial and exfoliate his skin--you'da think she tortured him. Oh, how he whined about that and proclaimed "never again"! :D What a wimp! :D

I LOVE those Brawny towel commercials when the Brawny Guys are talking about Bo and Hope (I assume they're soap opera characters)! Haven't seen them for a while, makes me sad, hope they bring them back! I laugh my head off at those!

Liz

Edited by blim

Yeah many of my hubby's comments were like TT's (minus the long hair and beard part). And I too thought that that site seemed sort of metro..., but yes some guys and lots of teens do need some basic grooming info and common sense!!!

As I watch the kids walking to school, or see them in the stores...it amazes me that so many teen guys, even a few of the teen gals, don't seem to know enough to shower and use soap, and a deodorant, plus brush their teeth, or to wash their clothes. Baggy clothes are an ok style if clean for goodness sake (unless falling off baggy like the teen behind us at the grocery store last week holding his smelly pants up with one hand while loading groceries on the conveyor belt---ugggg!!!) . I wonder why they don't notice these things and try to clean up, or maybe they do know but no one has taught them how to do things? and where are the parents that aren't helping/teaching these kids to clean up? So it is good that someone decided to do a website to teach them!!! Cleanliness is such a basic necessity of life socially and jobwise too!!! No wonder so many kids statistically are depressed and down on themselves if they look and smell bad!!!

As for the Brawny commercials, can't remember them.

Interesting discussion folks.

Pat

God bless everyone

Gotta think back to the "hippy days" when it comes to baggy pants, unkempt hair and cleanliness, Pat! It's a neverending cycle, I suppose! Thank God Son actually listened to me when I nagged him about girls liking a guy who smelled and looked clean (thank God he was girlcrazy so it sunk in! :D ). He desperately needs a haircut, but at least his hair is clean!!

The Brawny Commercials I remember were two rolls of paper towels sitting on a park bench discussing the "goings on in the lives of Hope and Bo", I'm thinking they're discussing a soap opera and it's hilarious!! There's another series of Brawny commercials where a rugged, good looking guy wearing a flannel shirt is "posing" while cleaning up a mess on a counter with a paper towel. Not as funny, but I wouldn't care if my Hubby posed while cleaning, heck, he's cleaning ! :D Yeah, a man pushing a vacuum cleaner is the ultimate turn on, remember that, guys! :thumbsup: A Vacuum Cleaner IS a power tool, by the way!

Liz

I can't stand to have someone come near me who hasn't showered or bathed in awhile. I have an older man (66) working with me who only showers once a week and wears the same shirt and pants during the week. My partner and I threaten to throw him in the lake with a bar of soap.

Even during my hippie days I showered every morning. I would change to a clean t-shirt daily and wore my jeans no more than two days if I wasn't working a hot, sweaty and filthy job. If I did get sweaty and dirty at work I would take a second shower after.

I am not fussy about the length of my hair or beard, but It does get the shampoo/conditioner treatment every morning. I can't stand not brushing my teeth and using mouthwash after meals.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah many of my hubby's comments were like TT's (minus the long hair and beard part). And I too thought that that site seemed sort of metro..., but yes some guys and lots of teens do need some basic grooming info and common sense!!!

Baggy clothes are an ok style if clean for goodness sake (unless falling off baggy like the teen behind us at the grocery store last week holding his smelly pants up with one hand while loading groceries on the conveyor belt---ugggg!!!) . I wonder why they don't notice these things and try to clean up, or maybe they do know but no one has taught them how to do things? and where are the parents that aren't helping/teaching these kids to clean up? So it is good that someone decided to do a website to teach them!!! Cleanliness is such a basic necessity of life socially and jobwise too!!! No wonder so many kids statistically are depressed and down on themselves if they look and smell bad!!!

As for the Brawny commercials, can't remember them.

Interesting discussion folks.

Pat

God bless everyone

Agreed - some kids don't realize or don't care about thier appearance - I like to to be clean shaven, showered, with appropriate cologne and deodorant applied - this includes brushing teath. I also wear clean clothes and make sure socks and undies are clean too - It embarrasses me if I actually go somewhere and I smell bad - I can't STAND to be dirty - especially in the summer - I can deal with sweaty shirts or whatever, but to be DIRTY? NO WAY!!

As I watch the kids walking to school, or see them in the stores...it amazes me that so many teen guys, even a few of the teen gals, don't seem to know enough to shower and use soap, and a deodorant, plus brush their teeth, or to wash their clothes.

You know, I used to hate it when my mom used to nag about me taking a shower when I was growing up - Reason was that they were worried about me using up all the hot water, or worry about how long it would take me to take a shower. I took baths most of the time, so I hated to do it because the water would have to be so high so that it would cover me - I fnally talked mom into showers - they are easier, and faster.

Now I take showers almost every day - They not only clean me, but they also help my tired muscles: My new shower will be fully accessible, roll in shower - which means that it will be similar to what you find in a Hospital's Accessible bathroom - roll right in, sit down on the bench, and back the chair away from the shower area - I love being clean - maybe the reason that I hated it when I was younger was because it was just mundane thing that happened - dunno.

However, cleanliness and professionalism are important in most things these days - Girls are not gonna wanna deal with guys that have such a low self esteem that they don't care about themselves. If you feel GOOD about your appearance, then the rest should follow. I own a suit, and will use it - I try REALLY hard to project myself as a professional - The way I act, the way I look, the way I feel and the way I project - I may not have many professional designations, but I take pride in the way I do things ;)

Cleanliness, professionalism and a good and respectful attitude will do it - some of these kids don't give a darn about what others feel like - and this is a major thing - They mist learn to respect thier parents and thier authority - and they should also realize that while they can state what they feel, they should be careful about others feelings - just because they can say it, does NOT mean that it is appropriate to be said - I have learned that you can hurt someone's feelings sometimes without noticing it sometimes, so you have to be careful about what you SAY as well ;)

Liz and Pat are RIGHT - being clean and well groomed is a good skill to learn - and should be taught early - most teens would not wanna go out with a girl without taking a shower or cleaning up first -and as adults, they will carry that with them - taking pride in yourselves is important, and should be drilled into thier heads - I don't know about you all, but showers make me feel good - they are also a stress reliever ;)

Take Care ;)

Brian

I can't stand to have someone come near me who hasn't showered or bathed in awhile. I have an older man (66) working with me who only showers once a week and wears the same shirt and pants during the week. My partner and I threaten to throw him in the lake with a bar of soap.

Even during my hippie days I showered every morning.

TT:

I have a friend of mine who says that he takes a shower every day, but he is sweating so bad that he stinks out the places he occupies. Just standing 10 feet from him makes my gag reflex activate. I remember last march when I was preparing to move out of Shared Housing: I was in the closet, and he was 10-15 feet away from me in the doorway, and I smelled him. He sprays AXE Body spray, which is a powerful smelling stuff, and what happens is I am smelling AXE plus STINK - it was so bad I almost threw up on the carpet in the closet. If he does not have a shirt on, its worse. I have even had to TELL HIM to take a shower, and being in his place makes me gag unless the window is open :(

He may sweat alot, but oh god, it stinks - describing what it smells like would probably make Jeff sick :( I will spare you the details.......You should NOT just use body spray to cover odor - you should remove it!!

I would change to a clean t-shirt daily and wore my jeans no more than two days if I wasn't working a hot, sweaty and filthy job. If I did get sweaty and dirty at work I would take a second shower after.

Same thing Here TT - I don't just wear one pair for one day and change to another the next

day UNLESS they need to be Pants every 2 days, depending on whats goin on - shirts, socks, undies, etc - yes I would change those every day. I work out 3 days a week too :) and shower after that :)

I am not fussy about the length of my hair or beard, but It does get the shampoo/conditioner treatment every morning. I can't stand not brushing my teeth and using mouthwash after meals.

I can't stand my hair being really long, because then it begins to itch and smell bad - wash hair every day - I shave every 2 days - otherwise I would be cutting skin. The shorter my hair is, the better I like it - I always like my hair short - its easier to keep clean - Mom used to like my curly hair, I hated it because It looked like I had an afro going - I would comb it back, and my mom would pick it back out - hated it ;( because mom said how "beautiful it was" while I had to have my hair picked out with all the darn knots - OUCH!!!

Thats all from here - take care all :)

Brian

Edited by baker7

I had to laugh at your showers-being-stress-relievers comment, Brian! When my kids were babies, my Mom told me to take a glass of wine into the tub everyday to relax. I took it one better--in the shower, you can't hear the commotion of Daddy and Kids! :D

I wonder if your friend has a physical condition? There is a condition where the sweat glands are "broken" and no matter how often you shower and deodorize, you stink within minutes. A former Pastor of ours had this and it's miserable, especially when one works with the public! A doctor can often prescribe something to fix this

Liz