Problem With Cd Drive & Dvd Rom Drive

I now have my son's computer working but I am having problems with the CD Drive & DVD Rom Drive.

Here are the specs:

Gateway Essentiale 500c

MITSUMI CD-ROM FX4821T!A

MITSUMI CR-48XATE

I can't get Nero 5.5.8.2 or Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.1 to burn a cd.

Neither will reconize the drives.

Should I get Nero 6.6 or Nero 7.0?

Edited by tman70

Is it a newer CD drive? When my burner crapped out on my old Gateway, Gateway sent us a new one but the old burning software didn't recognize it. Luckily they also sent a new CD burning program with it. The new one worked fine. I'd say use a newer program.

Is it a newer CD drive? When my burner crapped out on my old Gateway, Gateway sent us a new one but the old burning software didn't recognize it. Luckily they also sent a new CD burning program with it. The new one worked fine. I'd say use a newer program.
First step is to make sure the drive is running the latest firmware, and you have the latest drivers installed on the PC.

Does windows recognize the drive as a burner?

My son had these put in about two years ago and never could get them to work and just gave up.

Now that I have got his new computer with Xp running he has given this one to me. It has w98se on it for now.

I can check the Device Manager and the drives show up with no yellow marks.

Where would I find drivers for these if that is the problem?

You said that your son put the drives in they never worked.

Does this mean that you can play CD's but not burn or the players just flat out don't work?

If it's the second, you might try checking the jumpers on theback of each drive to make sure one is set to Master and the other to Slave.

You need to check that your ASPI layer is installed and functional. I use ASPI Check and ForceASPI to accomplish this.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101614

You said that your son put the drives in they never worked.

Does this mean that you can play CD's but not burn or the players just flat out don't work?

If it's the second, you might try checking the jumpers on theback of each drive to make sure one is set to Master and the other to Slave.

Thanks TT_75 and deaf_girl

I check the jumpers and settings first thing. I used the ASPI Check, got a red screen and it said I did not have ASPI, so I D/L and ran ForceASPI17

and then ASPI Check gave me a green screen to say I now had it.

I have three cd/w drives and this is what I get when I put them in this computer:

Mitsumi CR-48XATE-------Nero can only be used with the recorder it has been bundled with.

Nec CD-Rom Drive:28D----Nero will not recognize the drive.

ATPI CD-R/RW 48x12------Please insert the medium to write to, Medium required for the compilation CD-R/RW.

The ATPI CD-R/RW 48x12 gave me these results.

I am using just bought FUJI CD-R. Have tried several different ones in the stack and get same message.

One time I used a TDK CD-R and got it to record at 24, but it took about 6 minutes to complete. Never could get it to read though.

TT_75 should I D/L and run ASPI18?

Edited by tman70

ASPI17 should work fine. Your CD burner should be set as Master on the Secondary IDE controller.

My setup;

Primary IDE > HDD0/Master & HDD1/Slave

Secondary IDE > CD-RW/Master & CD-Rom/Slave

My Memorex 40 MAXX CD-RW came with Roxio which I trashed. I tried Nero but had issues with an older version and switched to NTI. I have never had a problem since. I installed the ASPI17 on both my 98SE and XP setup. I use TDK, Verbatim and Memorex media.

If you still experience problems check the IDE cable. Also check out CDBurnerXP Pro or DeepBurner Free.

ASPI17 should work fine. Your CD burner should be set as Master on the Secondary IDE controller.

My setup;

Primary IDE > HDD0/Master & HDD1/Slave

Secondary IDE > CD-RW/Master & CD-Rom/Slave

My Memorex 40 MAXX CD-RW came with Roxio which I trashed. I tried Nero but had issues with an older version and switched to NTI. I have never had a problem since. I installed the ASPI17 on both my 98SE and XP setup. I use TDK, Verbatim and Memorex media.

If you still experience problems check the IDE cable. Also check out CDBurnerXP Pro or DeepBurner Free.

My drives are set just as you have posted. D/L DeepBurner but can't get it to let me drag and drop files. I can get to cdroot, but not beyond.

I just tried some new Maxwell cd-r's and it will start to burn but then quit. The Fuji and the Maxwell both work on my son's computer.

Anything else I can try?

i had trouble like this once

and the problem had to do with my cddvd drive letters

the burner wouldnt recognise the drive d:

but once i switch it to drive e;

it worked

if you go to comptuer management

disk management

on the tool bar look for view

then top then disk list and open it will tell you all

the drives you have and the drive letters

im not sure if this will help you

maybe it is worth a try

marty

Thanks martymas,

I have tried that and removing from device manager, restarting and nothing works.

Everything shows good in device manager and control panel.

I have the ATAPI CD-R/RW 48x12 in now. I have bought new Memorex CD-R's and I can Burn files to the CD even though it takes about 6 minutes. But I cannot open it from the CD drive.

Bought a cheap $2 DVD Movie to try in the Toshiba DVD-Rom. It won't show up.

On my son's new computer I can take the same CD and it opens fine. The DVD plays fine also.

Could I have a corrupt file somewhere the reason the drives don't work?

When you burn the CD are you closing the session?

When I can get a cd to burn I wait until it finally shows screen saying "do I want to save ISO".

I have just tried to burn a cd as a test and and after almost 5 minutes it said burn process completed successfully at 40x.

Then a seperate screen popped up saying the same thing. I clicked "OK" and then waited for process to end.

After a 10 minute wait I clicked the x in the right hand corner and when it asked if I wanted to save the ISO I said NO.

I tried to open it in the drive and cannot.

has your drives been detected in the bios

if not then the sys wont recognise them

depending on your bios

they seem to be all different

go there and see if your sys can detect those drives

not noing your bios it is had to give you info

marty

The Gateway BIOS shows:

master as 48x12

slave as Toshiba DVD ROM SD-M which is right.

In doing some googleing I found something that said I should have these files in c:\windows\command to run cd-roms.

They are:

atapicd.sys

oakcdrom.sys

Idecd.sys

I don't have these files. Could this be why these drives only partially work?

You guys are smarter than me, so should I have these files?

I think I have finally got the CD writer and DVD rom to work.

I decided that nothing else had worked so I decided to do a Master Boot Record.

Having never done that before I was a little scared, but it must have worked.

I can now burn a cd at 48x and open it in control panel. I can also open all of the test cd's I have made in the last few days, which I couldn't before.

I also D/L WM Player Classic and can now watch my DVD Video's.

I haven't yet figured out how to get WM Classic to automatically open when I insert the DVD.

But I will.

:D:D:D:D

I decided that nothing else had worked so I decided to do a Master Boot Record.

Having never done that before I was a little scared, but it must have worked.

Sounds interesting. What do you mean by that?

The Gateway has been nothing but problems. I thought I would do a clean install of W98se on a spare drive and use the Gateway disks. When I got to setup I got a "cdr101: not ready reading drive E.

Then I tried another drive that I had cloned from the Gateway and got a "load error".

I then read that the load error could be a bad MBR. So I tried the "fdisk/mbr".

When I rebooted W98se loaded,so I cleaned out everything I had put into the Win\command file:

autoexe.bat, config.sys, Idecd.sys and rebooted.

After it loaded I tried a test cd in the cdrw and I could open it via My Computer.

I could also watch my DVD Video.

I was using both my Dell and Gateway. Did the same thing to the Dell and it works.

Tried to do a clean install on the Gateway again with the spare drive and got to setup and got the CDR101 error again.

The drive that is in there now loads without any problems.

I am back to running the Dell Millennia. It works alright.

Maybe this will help someone.

Edited by tman70