Make sure the modem isn't getting hot. It is out in the open where air can get to it, right? Have a small fan blow on it. Check your phones for static. You may have a bad line or bad filter(s). Do you have portable phones, fax machine or security system connected to the phone line(s)? Any errors in Device Manager for the Ethernet card or USB port (how does it connect to the PC)? If all else fails call your ISP.

its not getting hot...the filters are fine...I do have about3 cordless phones but none of them are causing the problem...and not errors with the drivers... It just happens random...

Isnt there a program that will monitor my connection and tell me when I have lost a connection...I remember someone talking about such a program once but forget who. and what it was called.

... Isnt there a program that will monitor my connection and tell me when I have lost a connection...I remember someone talking about such a program once but forget who. and what it was called.

There are programs that will "ping" your ISP occasionally to keep a dial-up connection alive, that's useful for ISP's that would sign you off if they did not detect any activity. Are you on dial-up?

DSL works differently and ISP's (far as I know) never sign you off, so such programs would be little or no use for you.

I'd suspect the line or filter noise previously mentioned (the noise would confuse the data stream and could eventually cause the connection to be lost). Pick up the phone, dial a "1" and listen for excessive noise (should be no static, any hum should be barely audible). Try another filter (you probably have more than one in your home, switch them out).

My modem is loosing the connection after about 8 or 9 hours. Its the second time i've seen it happen. How can I fix this problem without calling my ISP?

I have a SMC router connected to the modem. XP Pro

If you are using Dial-up and it disconnects you might try setting your E-mail program to check for e-mail every 5 minutes or so. As long as the ISP goes, they will disconnect you if there isn't any activity on the line for any period of time. If your on-line for 8-9 hours at a time, I would think you needed a break anyway.

If you are on DSL or Cable is proabably your ISP. Mine goes through tempermental times every few weeks or so and when I call up the ISP they always say they are upgrading something here or there and service will be up as soon as possible. If this is only your second time, dont worry about it too much.