Ok----need Advice On Setting Up New Computer

My son has been having too much trouble with his Gateway W98se computer the last few days.

According to him I'm taking too much time trying to fix it.

So today while he was off from work he went out and bought a Compaq Presario SR1012NX.

Since it was refurbished he got a good deal on it.

Here are the specs:

Compaq Presario SR1012NX

Refurbished Compaq Computer

AMD Athlon®XP Processor 3000+/2.10GHZ 256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory 80.0 GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive CD-RW Drive 48x/24x/48x DVD-ROM 16x

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX graphics/ 64MB shared V.92 data/fax modem/10/100 network interface 2 IEEE 1394 ports (1 front, 1 back) 5 USB 2.0 ports (1 front, 4 back) Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition 3.5" 1.44 MB Diskette Drive 25-8446

I finally got his Gateway running again, but since he is off work and it's the weekend with all

the football games on t.v., I'm not to bother him trying to get the compaq running on his cable line.

I have to do it on my cable line and then transfer it. (LOL)

I know I will have to take out my Etherfast 10/100 lan card and put it in his new toy to be able to get broadband connection.

I'm setting here reading everything I can.

Before I shut this computer down and hook up this new one I need some advice.

Since all of you are more knowledge about XP Home Edition than I am are there any "Do's, Don'ts, Shoulda's, Coulda"s, or Woulda's" I need to do first or while starting up?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by tman70

I was going to ask if your new toy is SP2, then dinner was ready.....

Others will chime in but I kept my notes from when I took the SP2 plunge.

SP2 Prep Per Dell:

instal AdAware Personal SE or Pestpatrol.com

Update, run, reboot, run again and reboot again if spyware is found

Update and run AV

Update firewall

Back up or copy important and irreplacable personal info (probably doesn't apply to you yet!)

SP2 per G4

1. Back up data

2. run disk cleanup, clean temp internet files, empty recycle bin and defrag

3. restart computer

4. make restore point. Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore--follow directions

5. turn off AV. Enable windows firewall (r/click on your connection inNetwork Places and choose to protect with Windows firewall) disable current firewall. If you have spybot, run and choose advance interface (under mode) and under tools, go to resident and disable resident shield and teatimer

6. go to Windows update!! do not panic if things seem to stop. There are a couple of "percentage points" that take a LONG time to advance (me--I think it "stalled" on 14% and 86%?)

7. When finished and windows asks for a restart, choose restart later then finish. Re enable AV (but leave off script blocking) and firewall. Turn off windows firewall

8 Restart PC (it will take a bit longer) should finish with a prompt to enable automatic updates and verify firewall and AV

9. Re enable spybot resident shield. It will warn of a new IE toolbar (which is good!) and a lock of blank.htm web page file (also good!) Re enable script blocking in antivirus

In SP2, use the "archive feature" just in case. If no problems after some time, delete the "SP2 hidden archive folder" in Window Folder to save space on HD

I pretty much did a combination of both--ran adaware, spybot, antivirus (with a restart after each), cleaned things up, defragged, restarted, made a restore point, turned of AV, enabled Windows firewall and turned of Mcafee Firewall and went to the update and sweated bullets :thumbsup: All went well!

Liz

I was going to ask if your new toy is SP2, then dinner was ready.....

Others will chime in but I kept my notes from when I took the SP2 plunge.

SP2 Prep Per Dell:

instal AdAware Personal SE or Pestpatrol.com

Update, run, reboot, run again and reboot again if spyware is found

Update and run AV

Update firewall

Back up or copy important and irreplacable personal info (probably doesn't apply to you yet!)

SP2 per G4

1. Back up data

2. run disk cleanup, clean temp internet files, empty recycle bin and defrag

3. restart computer

4. make restore point. Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore--follow directions

5. turn off AV. Enable windows firewall (r/click on your connection inNetwork Places and choose to protect with Windows firewall) disable current firewall. If you have spybot, run and choose advance interface (under mode) and under tools, go to resident and disable resident shield and teatimer

6. go to Windows update!! do not panic if things seem to stop. There are a couple of "percentage points" that take a LONG time to advance (me--I think it "stalled" on 14% and 86%?)

7. When finished and windows asks for a restart, choose restart later then finish. Re enable AV (but leave off script blocking) and firewall. Turn off windows firewall

8 Restart PC (it will take a bit longer) should finish with a prompt to enable automatic updates and verify firewall and AV

9. Re enable spybot resident shield. It will warn of a new IE toolbar (which is good!) and a lock of blank.htm web page file (also good!) Re enable script blocking in antivirus

In SP2, use the "archive feature" just in case. If no problems after some time, delete the "SP2 hidden archive folder" in Window Folder to save space on HD

I pretty much did a combination of both--ran adaware, spybot, antivirus (with a restart after each), cleaned things up, defragged, restarted, made a restore point, turned of AV, enabled Windows firewall and turned of Mcafee Firewall and went to the update and sweated bullets :thumbsup: All went well!

Liz

Thanks Liz,

That is what i was looking for. I haven't paid too much attention to posts here on XP since I didn't have it.

I did remember that there were some problems downloading SP2 and updates.

Don't know if this has SP2. It only says XP Home Edition on the specs, so I will assume I will have to download SP2.

I think I will wait until tomorrow so I can get some cd's from the store to download it to them like "shanenin said in his post.

I also have his backup H/D with all his files and programs on it. If I am reading things right there should be no trouble transfering everything to the new drive.

you are very welcome, Tman!

First clue as to whether it has SP2 is that on the Windows Screen (the one with the black background) when the computer first starts up, the "thermometer" is blue on SP2 editions.

And yes, the key to installing SP2 is to have the computer as clean from cooties as possible!

Is there an easy way to check "specs" on the computer? (I assume there is...) if so, my new computer has SP2 already on it and I can look to see if my specs say anything different than "XP Home Edition", which might help tell if you already have SP2 or not.

Other than that, XP is very much like Windows 98 but behaves better. :thumbsup:

Liz

Edited by blim

Your sons new toy is terribly deficent in the RAM department. He will begin to feel drag in a matter of weeks if not days. He will not be able to perform more than 1 or maybe two function at a time with out signicant slow down. That is too nice a processor to not be able to utilize to full potoential.

Don't know if this has SP2. It only says XP Home Edition on the specs, so I will assume I will have to download SP2.

Right click on "My Computer", click "Properties" and you will see if you have "XPSP2" under General Tab and Systems. You will see also how much ram you have.

You also can go to Windows Update and let it tell you what you need to download. You also can set it on Automatic Update and it will download and install, or set it to download only and you will install later. It only downloads "Critical" updates, not recommended ones.

Barb

Edited by bar5
Thanks Bubba Bob, I really was just wondering about downloading updates for SP2?

You said this was a refubished computer. Any company worth their salt would already have SP2 installed before selling the machine.

Even a brand new machine comes with SP2 pre-installed.

at most you might have to just do the most recent updates. say the ones in last 2 or 3 months. Refurbished units rarely are on the shelf for longer than that.

I also have to agree with Rhema7, That machine does need more Ram. I would highly recommend a minimum of 512MB of Ram in that machine to get a decent run on the processor and to really enjoy using WinXP

Thanks everybody for all the info. I am going now to the store and buy some cd's and then get started trying to learn how to use XP.

I knew that it needs more ram. He can buy some more later after he learns how to use XP. But I will be the one that has to install it.

It's nice to be needed. LOL

This reminds me of when I used to work on my car with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver and someone would ask me what I was doing. I would say "just tinkering" and then there would be several heads under the hood helping me "tinker". Better be careful here or I will be telling my age.

Again Thanks. Will come back if I run into any problems.

Everything seems to be running good. SP2 downloaded and ran without any problems.

The question I have now is "How do I transfer his files from his backup W98se HD to the new XP HD"?

tman:

See if this is what you want:

Windows XP Transfer Wizard

Scroll down until you see images of how to use with XP CD or use clicking Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/File and Transfer Wizard etc.......

Barb :D

Edited by bar5

Everything seems to be running good. SP2 downloaded and ran without any problems.

The question I have now is "How do I transfer his files from his backup W98se HD to the new XP HD"?

tman:

See if this is what you want:

Windows XP Transfer Wizard

Scroll down until you see images of how to use with XP CD or use clicking Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/File and Transfer Wizard etc.......

Barb :D

if you have lots of data, it would be easiest to slave the win98 hardrive to the new xp machine

Thanks Barb and Shanenin

I got everything transfered and now it is up to him to fine tune it back to his settings.

I can't find the "activate windows" in the start-all program menue. I was going to activate his XP.

I guess I will have to call it in.

I now have his Gateway and am trying to find out why it keeps knocking out the hard drive.

But that is for another post.

Thanks to all for the help. Now I will start learning XP.

What makes you think it needs to be activated? More then likely it has already been activated. If it was not activated it would be warning you by balloons that would be poping up from the system tray.

Thanks--- I thought it might have been automatic, because I am not getting any ballons like that.