Mount Samba Root Only

one of my windows shares can only be mounted if I am the root user. I am pretty sure my fstab is correct. If you notice below, I am able to unmount it as regular user.

shane@mainbox ~ $ mount podcasts
cannot mount on /home/shane/podcasts: Operation not permitted
smbmnt failed: 1
shane@mainbox ~ $ su
Password:
mainbox shane # mount podcasts
mainbox shane # exit
exit
shane@mainbox ~ $ umount podcasts
shane@mainbox ~ $

here is my line from my fstab

//marsala/itunes   /home/shane/podcasts smbfs   noauto,credentials=/etc/credentials,users,defaults   0 0

I also tried to do it with out the defualts option. I am getting the same error

Edited by shanenin
one of my windows shares can only be mounted if I am the root user. I am pretty sure my fstab is correct. If you notice below, I am able to unmount it as regular user.

shane@mainbox ~ $ mount podcasts
cannot mount on /home/shane/podcasts: Operation not permitted
smbmnt failed: 1
shane@mainbox ~ $ su
Password:
mainbox shane # mount podcasts
mainbox shane # exit
exit
shane@mainbox ~ $ umount podcasts
shane@mainbox ~ $

here is my line from my fstab

//marsala/itunes   /home/shane/podcasts smbfs   noauto,credentials=/etc/credentials,users,defaults   0 0

I also tried to do it with out the defualts option. I am getting the same error

is this

credentials=/etc/credentials

to match widows accounts with the login process.

and who owns that file, and can others read it.?<--- if root created it you may not be able to read it..

plus I thought it should look more like this

//winbox/share /mnt/share smbfs username=joe,password=bloggs,uid=500,gid=500 0 0

Edited by iccaros

I left out one important piece of information. I use an identical line with a different windows share and it works just fine as regular user

here are both lines from my fstab. one works and one does not. That is why this seems so odd

//marsala/n1			/home/shane/samba smbfs		 noauto,credentials=/etc/credentials,users		0 0
//marsala/itunes /home/shane/podcasts smbfs noauto,credentials=/etc/credentials,users 0 0

try to mount it manually, and add the -v so we can get more output when it fails.

(Ie don't just do a mount podcasts)

do the whole

mount -t smbfs //marsala/itunes /home/shane/podcasts -o v,rw,credentials=/etc/credentials,users

I just bought a new seagate 7200.10 sata drive. It uses perpendicular technology, and is supposed to benchmark as fast as the 10000 rpm raptors. None the less I am reinstalling windows. After that is finished, I can try what you suggested.

ok, the v option just makes the system more verbose in its output so we can track what is going wrong

ok, the v option just makes the system more verbose in its output so we can track what is going wrong

exactly, that is a great idea. I think i did a tail -f /var/log/messages(learned that from you), I don't remember seeing anything that helped.