Flash Player 9 For Linux

its still Beta, but its here

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html

NOTE: its not free as in speach software... for those who care..

there are alot of sites that require 8 or above to work. They neer released 8 for Linux.

an Example is playing video on SCI-FI's site..

So far I havent had any problems with 9, although flash loads considerabley slower for me in opera then firefox. But I can finally play the adult swim flash games.

Also, adobe also released flex2 for linux.

So far I havent had any problems with 9, although flash loads considerabley slower for me in opera then firefox. But I can finally play the adult swim flash games.

Also, adobe also released flex2 for linux.

I went to the adobe site and downloaded, extracted the file, but, the command ./flashplayer-installer didn't work like it did for flash 7.

I guess 9 has a new installer?

I went to the adobe site and downloaded, extracted the file, but, the command ./flashplayer-installer didn't work like it did for flash 7.

There isn't an installer. The manual install is dead simple though: copy/symlink the .so into the right place and you're done. Firefox and Mozilla look in ~/.mozilla/plugins/, Opera can be pointed wherever you want by editing ~/.opera/pluginpath.ini, Konqueror... I can't remember.

Edited by jcl

There isn't an installer. The manual install is dead simple though: copy/symlink the .so into the right place and you're done. Firefox and Mozilla look in ~/.mozilla/plugins/, Opera can be pointed wherever you want by editing ~/.opera/pluginpath.ini, Konqueror... I can't remember.

Thanks, jcl. :D

you can tell Konqueror to look for Netscape plug ins, as Firefox will also look in /home/username/.netscape/plugins this is where I put it so Konqueror will find it when you tell it to search for plug ins.

• 3 weeks later...

to install

First open a terminal as your user

Type

cd ~

wget http://www.adobe.com/go/fp9_update_b1_installer_linuxplugin

gunzip flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.55

cp libflashplayer.so ~/.netscape/plugins/

cp libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

you can close the terminal and restart firefox..

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
to install

First open a terminal as your user

Type

cd ~

wget http://www.adobe.com/go/fp9_update_b1_installer_linuxplugin

gunzip flash-player-plugin-9.0.21.55

cp libflashplayer.so ~/.netscape/plugins/

cp libflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

you can close the terminal and restart firefox..

hope this helps

Thanks iccaros, your post got me thinking, I tried that, but, it didn't work so I found a slackware way of doing things. This worked for me:

wget http://lp.slackwaresupport.com/Slackware-1...8-i486-1kjz.tgz

then I navigated to my download directory and issued this command:

#installpkg flash-player-9.0.21.78-i486-1kjz.tgz

where did it fail for you, I did it on my slackware system

hmmm, it worked that first day, well, I tried ..

hmmm, it worked that first day, well, I tried ..

No worries. Your posts always point me in the correct direction, iccaros! I always know that if I get into a jam in Linux that you will be able to bail me out! I'm a hobbyist, not a professional like you.

You were very patient and helped me to learn about my favourite OS, Slackware. :thumbsup: