Dropping Broadband Line While Surfing

While surfing the net, or downloading, the broadband line drops and the page 'server cannot be found' comes up. This happens anytime between 10 to 45 minutes after each time I get on to the net. After pressing the Refresh icon a number of times I get reconnected. I am using Internet Explorer.

I have had a computer shop look at the problem and they said there was irq conflicts when I still had a dialup modem. I thought by going to Broadband the problem would go away, but it hasn't.

Would appreciate assistance.

Thanks - Duol

Hi Duol and welcome to Besttechies! The experts here will get you fixed up in a jiffy!

Now, I have no idea what an irq is, but just to rule things out for the experts--have you called your Broadband company? From what I've read, 9 times out of 10, it's something goofed up on their end. You should insist that a tech comes out with his/her laptop and see if he/she has the same problem you do.

Liz

While surfing the net, or downloading, the broadband line drops and the page 'server cannot be found' comes up. This happens anytime between 10 to 45 minutes after each time I get on to the net. After pressing the Refresh icon a number of times I get reconnected. I am using Internet Explorer.

I have had a computer shop look at the problem and they said there was irq conflicts when I still had a dialup modem. I thought by going to Broadband the problem would go away, but it hasn't.

Would appreciate assistance.

Thanks - Duol

Are you using a router, if so what make? Is this a wired or wireless connection?

Hi Liz

IRQ = Interrupt ReQuest - basically an Input organizer. All input devices are assigned an IRQ number giving some a higher priority than others, depending on their function importance. A mouse or keyboard have IRQ's as does any network adapter, IDE controllers..etc, and the IRQ number says which has a higher priority to access the CPU.

Usually keyboards have IRQ #1, COM ports #3 or 4, and so on.

If you want to see your IRQ list, type msinfo32 into the Run box to bring up system info, expane Hardware resources and click IRQ's.

Also check to see if it is on some sites or all. At times a site may be heavily loaded and will drop. If you are using a router the router may need to be reconfigured correctly. If it is your router your ISP may have a charge to come out.

M